D

DeadHerald

Yet another Obama power grab, this time at the behest of the RIAA and the MPAA. And it's just as unconstitutional as that California anti-gaming law that SCotUS just struck down. On top of that, SOPA would be impossible to enforce.

I'm not overly concerned. I don't think this will even make it out of the house.
20101122175647_obama-derp-487x700.jpg

wokmage

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Yet another Obama power grab, this time at the behest of the RIAA and the MPAA. And it's just as unconstitutional as that California anti-gaming law that SCotUS just struck down. On top of that, SOPA would be impossible to enforce.

I'm not overly concerned. I don't think this will even make it out of the house.
20101122175647_obama-derp-487x700.jpg

Hopefully you are right, still it doesn't hurt to let your representative know what a bad idea the bill is.

Reactions: Doki
D

DeadHerald

you can't pretend that this will disappear if obama left office. Globalization and corporate empowerment has been a political trend for most of our lives.

Oh, I'm not that naive. It's completely feasible that a GOP replacement would stick his John Hancock on it. But I am good at spotting trends and this bill seems to fit in well with Obama's modus operandi. I.E. extending his power with every action.

Hopefully you are right, still it doesn't hurt to let your representative know what a bad idea the bill is.

I have signed a few petitions, and I will be dropping a letter to my congressman. I'll probably send a letter to Feinstien too. Not Boxer though, she'll just use it as toilet paper.

D

DeadHerald

I'm not a big fan of politicians on either side of the aisle. Every time Republicans manage to score some points with me on key issues, they fuck it all up by pulling something like this. It's like making a 40 yard pass play then having it pulled back because your Tackle was holding and drew a flag. Fiscal conservatives, like myself, are opposed to oppressive regulations like this one. This is not the basis of good free market capitalism.

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You sound like you know what you're talking about. I do not. I am mostly ignorant to politics, but I have a collection of links that help support my arguments which I don't fully understand.

I am the 99%.

Reactions: N.P.P Styx

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
I was going to use a movie quote to express my dissatisfaction with SOPA being considered whatsoever, but that would probably get Skial censored.

Reactions: Xel'Naga
D

DeadHerald

You sound like you know what you're talking about. I do not. I am mostly ignorant to politics, but I have a collection of links that help support my arguments which I don't fully understand.

I am the 99%.

The 1% bathes in pure camomile and eats lobster 3 meals a day. And the other 1% lives in a tent in Zuccotti Park, and defecates in full view of 10,000 people.

I am the 98%. We're just trying to get by.

Also, of note is that I won an award for scoring in the top 1% on a statewide advanced Economics test in high school. So yeah, I do know a thing or two.

Reactions: Xel'Naga
D

DeadHerald

Anyway, a little follow up shows that SOPA does not have full GOP support and no DEM support. If by some miracle it gets out of the judiciary committee and passes the house, it will certainly die in the senate.

No need to fear this rag.

Reactions: wokmage

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
There would be an outcry if it actually passed, also there are many ways to pass round the system i.e VPN, although these ways could also be blocked and there would be an increasing amount of internet censorship. Finally possibly removing "freedom of speech" form the internet.

If anyone hacked the centralised server where blocked I.Ps where stored, it could create havoc. example, die hard 4 i guess.

wokmage

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I have more fun quoting this than I do actually reading the topic.

Well considering the topic that's not exactly saying much. I really wouldn't call SOPA a "fun" topic of conversation. :p