Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So Im looking to build a new computer as well, as mines starting to slow down after 10 years. This is just an idea right now and no real things have been made, but I would like to see your guys ideas of what I should put in it. My price range for this I want to be around 800 - 1K. I won't be using any parts from my old computer as i'm getting it given to charity. I would prefer the same place to buy it (such as NEwEgg or amazon) for all the parts, but I very highly doubt that will be easy.

Sofar I don't have any ideas what I want as I just had this idea today, but im looking at inputs and want input from other people. I know @DaivdBaekr built a good computer, dunno if you have any imput of how good yours is David, Id like to know.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
I won't be using any parts from my old computer as i'm getting it given to charity.
Not even the peripherals, then?

I would prefer the same place to buy it (such as NEwEgg or amazon) for all the parts, but I very highly doubt that will be easy.
Actually when I ordered mine, Newegg had the best deals on everything but the motherboard. And even that was a pain in the ass since I only saved about ten dollars and it delayed the build by nearly a week. So it's very possible.

I know @DaivdBaekr built a good computer, dunno if you have any imput of how good yours is David, Id like to know.
I haven't had any performance problems running Fallout 4 maxed out, or Skyrim with shit-tons of HD mods, or any problems in general with it, actually. It's pretty awesome. If you can flex your budget slightly to copy my build, you should be more than happy. If you're replacing all your peripherals too it's going to be a considerable bump up, but you can cut corners with the case and settle for a 650W PSU like I eventually did.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Not even the peripherals, then?
Im keeping about 90% of that, my second monitor might be going and i might be geting a free upgrade, by thats besides the point.

I haven't had any performance problems running Fallout 4 maxed out, or Skyrim with shit-tons of HD mods, or any problems in general with it, actually. It's pretty awesome. If you can flex your budget slightly to copy my build, you should be more than happy. If you're replacing all your peripherals too it's going to be a considerable bump up, but you can cut corners with the case and settle for a 650W PSU like I eventually did.
I might be using yours if its viable. Not only does it help have someone confirm it but also makes it more easy to know what parts to get. Ill still be looking for input as I wont be getting anything tel this weekend. But its only gunna be for a full computer, the peripherals stay the same for the most part. The only thing thats a big worry is the case itself sense i wont have that obviously. The price range is not that limited, im willing to go an extra 500 if needed at all.

Last edited:

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
Im keeping about 90% of that, my second monitor might be going and i might be geting a free upgrade, by thats besides the point.

I might be using yours if its viable. Not only does it help have someone confirm it but also makes it more easy to know what parts to get. Ill still be looking for input as I wont be getting anything tel this weekend. But its only gunna be for a full computer, the peripherals stay the same for the most part.
Yeah if your peripherals are taken care of, you can probably fit the build I used into your budget some way. Are you using Windows 7/8 right now?

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If you have a retail copy of Win7 then that's that.

If you have OEM Win7 like I did then you'll have to buy a new license or bite the bullet and upgrade to your respective version of Win10.
I got the retail, so I can use it as many times as I like.

Thanks David for the input.

If anyone else has any ideas I'll Still take them. Im open for monitor ideas as well that are not too over priced.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I got the retail, so I can use it as many times as I like.

Thanks David for the input.

If anyone else has any ideas I'll Still take them. Im open for monitor ideas as well that are not too over priced.
Do you have Microcenter store anywhere around you?

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Do you have Microcenter store anywhere around you?
No, New Hampshire is shit when it comes to any form of technology store, and I live in the middle of nowhere so most places are out of the question for me. The nearest one is in Mass all the way at the coast, and thats about a 3 - 4 hour drive from where I am right now. That and the store is shit quality, and everything is mass is uber expensive. Something $200 can easily cost me 280.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Microcenter beats Newegg or even Amazon prices big time. Especially on CPUs.
Suggestions:

Config 1 $1223.99 - $367.20 w/ coupon code PDS30DT = $856.79
  • Select: i7-4790 (Included in price)
  • Select: 8GB DDR3 (Included in price)
  • Select: GTX 970 (+$394)
  • Select: 500W Power Supply (+$30)
  • Select: Win7 Pro (Included in price)
Config 2 $1609.99 - $483 w/ coupon code PDS30DT = $1126.99
  • Select: i7-6700 (Included in price)
  • Select: 16GB DDR3 (Included in price)
  • Select: GTX 980Ti (+$580)
  • Select: Win 10 (Included in price)
Config 3 $1259.99 - $378 w/ coupon code PDS30DT = $881.99
  • Select: i7-6700 (Included in price)
  • Select: 12GB DDR3 (Included in price)
  • Select: GTX 970 (+$280)
  • Select: Win 7 Professional (Included in price)

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This is the setup I'd have bought (hurry up though before coupon expires):

My config: $1560.99 - $468.30 w/ coupon code PDS30DT = $1092.69
  • Select: i7-6700K (+$100)
  • Select: 16GB DDR3 (Included in price)
  • Select: 256GB SSD (+$65)
  • Select: 1TB secondary HDD (+$74)
  • Select: GTX 970 (+$280)
  • Select: Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 with Bluetooth M.2 (+$12)
  • Select: Win 10 (Included in price)
I51pXo0.jpg

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This is the setup I'd have bought (hurry up though before coupon expires):

My config: $1560.99 - $468.30 w/ coupon code PDS30DT = $1092.69

• Select: i7-6700K (+$100)
    Select: 16GB DDR3 (Included in price)
    Select: 256GB SSD (+$65)

Select: 1TB secondary HDD (+$74)
    Select: GTX 970 (+$280)
    Select: 500W Power Supply (+$30)
    Select: Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 with Bluetooth M.2 (+$12)
    Select: Win 10 (Included in price)

Ill look into it, I cant now tho as im at work. Whens the deal ending? Also I dont know If I wil use that due to I will be using very few parts from my old computer. such as the hard drive and a few other things. So I dont wanna have to pay more to get extra stuff I dont need or want.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ill look into it, I cant now tho as im at work. Whens the deal ending? Also I dont know If I wil use that due to I will be using very few parts from my old computer. such as the hard drive and a few other things. So I dont wanna have to pay more to get extra stuff I dont need or want.
Then simply exclude secondary HDD from the list - $74 saved right there. Or exclude SSD and secondary HDD altogether - $150 saved. I'd recommend having SSD for your OS partition though - incredible performance improvement.

Also, didn't you say "I won't be using any parts from my old computer as i'm getting it given to charity"???

In regards to coupon:

3ciNfww.jpg

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also, didn't you say "I won't be using any parts from my old computer as i'm getting it given to charity"???

I should correct that, 99% of the parts are going. I have a second 1TB hard drive in it that im keeping and the 500 gigs is going, and the keeping extra fans i added.

Think im just gunna use amazon. I already found parts I want for around 800 total and I can get them soon and cheap with prime. The only thing im having a struggle for is finding a case and a possible new second monitor.

Last edited:

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So @PsychoRealm sense iv had time to look at what you linked, your build and that I can take things out. How good would you compare yours to Davids? Im just wondering. Both are gonna be around my price range, with yours being a bit more priced then what I'm gonna get, and I'm trying to copy Davids with a few differences making mine a bit cheaper then what he paid for.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What games do you play?
60% of whats on my steam library. I can max out most games that are from 2010 and older. Past that it dips a bit more. I normally go back and play games again after a year or so. Work over the half year has slowed the gaming down but my pc has been slowing down in general after 7 years.