Hiiglane

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Okay, so lately i've been geting back into DR and while its been fun there are two maps that I don't understand why they are still on the server:
Dr_minecraft_b10
Dr_aztecan_v5

Both of these maps are quite unfun from a player perspective and hale perspective, they're riddled with slow traps that players can easily avoid, along with very exploitable situations to pass them, and these maps are both quite buggy. They have the potential to be good maps but at the moment they're just extremely buggy. They're also EXTREMELY underplayed, I was on for a whole day to late night and I remember minecraft being picked at least twice and Aztecan once towards the middle of the night. Even Sawmill has been getting more attention than them and I used to think it was one of the most underplayed maps.

Aztecan shouldn't even be in the rotation on how hard it is for Hale to even win, the traps are easily predictable with many ways to outplay them or just simply avoid them and theres a bug where hale can be hit by projectile weapons (which was even a problem before hale took normal damage like a normal player as this caused him to be knocked back from buttons rather than kill him) accompanied by a very short map which means if there are more than at least 12 players than Hale will never win. The buttons on this map are also ridiculously small and really difficult for hale to hit if he has to get oncoming rushers, if you're not crouching as hale you're not gonna hit these buttons. I've seen tons of players clear out on this map and it begs the question to why its still here.

Minecraft suffers from almost all the of the same problems Aztecan has: Traps that players can easily be either exploited or outplayed (STOP STICKYBOMBING THE PLATFORM AHHASHFHF), traps that barely do enough damage to kill players (GRU Heavies + Spy Cloaks surviving the death floors because of HP), areas that make it easy to hit hale through walls because of hitreg of explosive weapons, and the overall unfun experience of playing Hale on this map. When you're playing hale, if has to be less than 12 players or you're never going to win. The only upside is that Minecraft doesn't make most people leave the servers for some strange reason.

These maps either need to be heavily fixed or just completely removed because at the moment they're easy to beat maps that really don't feel satisfying to beat as Hale or Red.

Dolan Trump

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I've honestly never played Minecraft, because it's never been picked while I'm on the server (I usually get Trollrun or Pirate Adventure instead... lol).

I do agree that Aztecan sucks. For one, Hale is visible throughout almost the whole map, meaning the traps are easily telegraphed. Also, if Hale is absent from a trap, that's practically a cue to rush. And the way you're supposed to win the map (climb the wall) is impossible for people new to it to figure out on their first try. I'm fairly certain the map was designed with GMod or Counter-Strike in mind, not TF2, which could add to these problems. The only times Hale has won (including me) were during low player counts.

Missing is another map that's very rarely played, quite bland to look at, plus there's one trap that can kill Hale if he's standing too close to the wall even before his damage resistance was nerfed, due to a bug in collision detection.

Hiiglane

Yeah, I was quite sure after a while that this map was just simply ported into TF2 because of the way it plays and looks.

Missing may be underplayed, but I still love it, ATM I think Missing is a pretty good map that just needs some quick fixes for little glitches that make the map just a bit more tedious.(?)
We just need one of the mappers to fix that little glitch, and the platforms returning back to their original state if somebody dies on them when they're activated.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, I was quite sure after a while that this map was just simply ported into TF2 because of the way it plays and looks.

Missing may be underplayed, but I still love it, ATM I think Missing is a pretty good map that just needs some quick fixes for little glitches that make the map just a bit more tedious.(?)
We just need one of the mappers to fix that little glitch, and the platforms returning back to their original state if somebody dies on them when they're activated.

To my knowledge I don't think we have any mappers currently who would be up to the task of fixing a bunch of deathrun maps up

If we're lucky we usually have 1 maybe 2 people at a time who know how to fix a map and they're not always up for fixing things because we're essentially asking them to fix random map issues in their free time which can be time consuming

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
To my knowledge I don't think we have any mappers currently who would be up to the task of fixing a bunch of deathrun maps up

If we're lucky we usually have 1 maybe 2 people at a time who know how to fix a map and they're not always up for fixing things because we're essentially asking them to fix random map issues in their free time which can be time consuming

I fixed quite a few maps with serious game breaking issues, but that would be a very time-consuming task changing every single map that has a tiny problem.

Reactions: Hiiglane

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper

I'm nearly always up to fixing things in maps, although it might depend on each case.
I will look into minecraft, but I don't have aztecan.

Last edited:

Hiiglane

I'm nearly always up to fixing things in maps, although it might depend on each case.
I will look into minecraft, but I don't have aztecan.

Even if you do, it still seems quite hopeless that Minecraft will become an interesting/popular map. The whole design of the map is pretty lame, the traps are boring, there are no playable end-map minigames for the runners, and for some weird reason the map just feels really small. Aztecan is just a lost cause on that department.

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
Even if you do, it still seems quite hopeless that Minecraft will become an interesting/popular map. The whole design of the map is pretty lame, the traps are boring, there are no playable end-map minigames for the runners, and for some weird reason the map just feels really small. Aztecan is just a lost cause on that department.
I've been looking into minecraft and it's generally just not very well done in lots of aspects. I'd have to spend a day or two if not more with it to get it in a fixed state I would like, but I won't try unless people really want me to.

Hiiglane

I've been looking into minecraft and it's generally just not very well done in lots of aspects. I'd have to spend a day or two if not more with it to get it in a fixed state I would like, but I won't try unless people really want me to.

Yeah, i'd [SUGGEST(ION)] you go with that, because i'm pretty sure if you asked players if they wanted that they'd either say no or give you some sort of "I mean if you want to" kind of response. I don't think i've ever met a person that had DR_Minecraft as their favorite DR map.

Hiiglane

Didnt know to bump this or not, but was hoping to get an accepted or declined response as both of these maps are still the least played maps on DR and barely function properly still as of now, with how unpopular these maps are and how awfully they were designed, you could fix them but even then nobody will still want to play them, Simpsons was removed for these reasons so I dont think it'd be a bad idea for these two to go out the window. Better maps could easily be replacing them. (Dlux / Necrodancer)