Toxik

Contributor
Hey all,

This is insanely annoying. About once a week, my laptop running W10 keeps randomly losing wifi.
I know this is a common issue, but none of the fixes I've tried so far have worked. My internet works fine, then randomly switches to "Limited connectivity" and the only fix I found is to restart my laptop.
Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?
I've tried doing this, but for some reason it does not work, even after triple checking I've input the right command

Another problem I've had is that my USB mouse gets disabled for about 10 seconds every time I boot up my laptop. Minor annoyance, but still pretty frustrating.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Some laptops come with specific drivers for their integrated wireless. Looking up drivers for your laptop off their website might be worth a shot

Toxik

Contributor
I'm usually against this type of program, but I downloaded Driver Booster to try and fix my shit. 19 drivers needed an update, 16 of them were "extremely old", 2 "very old", and 1 for my network adapter was "faulty", so that may have played a part in it lol

Toxik

Contributor
Aaaaand still fucked. Third time today I had to restart my laptop.
Suck a dick, Windows 10.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Could be multiple issues. I had been having issue like that on my hardwired PC. What I ended up doing was assigning an IP to my PC's MAC card on a router and then specifying IP address in my NIC along with default Gateway (which is router's internal IP).
By the way, what exactly is happening? Is it disconnecting from the router altogether or just showing that it's connected but there is no Internet connectivity?
Also, have you tried THIS?

Toxik

Contributor
Could be multiple issues. I had been having issue like that on my hardwired PC. What I ended up doing was assigning an IP to my PC's MAC card on a router and then specifying IP address in my NIC along with default Gateway (which is router's internal IP).
By the way, what exactly is happening? Is it disconnecting from the router altogether or just showing that it's connected but there is no Internet connectivity?
Also, have you tried THIS?
Yup, that too. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't just a problem between my modem and laptop.
What happens is, everything is normal and I have internet just fine, then out of nowhere I get limited connectivity. I lose all packet sending/receiving and it just refuses to see that the modem is connected to the internet. Only fix so far is restarting my PC

-Marinol-

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Is your laptop the only thing connecting through your gateway? If no, have you tried setting a static IP?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yup, that too. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't just a problem between my modem and laptop.
What happens is, everything is normal and I have internet just fine, then out of nowhere I get limited connectivity. I lose all packet sending/receiving and it just refuses to see that the modem is connected to the internet. Only fix so far is restarting my PC
Oh, I see.. So it's not actually disconnecting from your wireless router completely..
What antivirus do you have? Try disabling firewall in your AV when this issue happens for the next time - see if it resolves the issue.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Try flushing DNS Cache, unplug all cables from modem, leave for 30 minutes, then reconnect.
Or I might just be talking shit, but seriously this worked for me in the past.

Toxik

Contributor
I use Windows Defender, and it's really weird. For a few days, I lost connection at least 3 times a day, and now it hasn't done it for about 2 days. I have no idea what's happening.
Maddo I've tried that before, I had lots of problems with my first modem so I used to do that at least once a week or I'd be stuck without internet for days D:

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's not your router/modem issue. It's something on your laptop causing it and chances are high that it's a firewall.

Toxik

Contributor
Well, I managed to jinx myself, just happened again.
It's definitely a problem with my laptop, but I don't know about the firewall.
Step by step, this is what happens:
  1. Still connected to the network, shows the name
  2. If I turn the wifi off, I cannot turn it back on until I restart the laptop
  3. Trying to diagnose and fix will just tell me "Reset the Wi-Fi adapter..."
  4. Trying to go into Network Settings will start opening the window for it, then just load aimlessly
  5. Trying to restart the laptop will close everything and go to the "Restarting..." screen but not actually restart, I have to force it off by pressing the power button 5 seconds
Fucking laptop.
I tried going into the firewall settings but it said I was connected to a guest or public network rather than a private one. After restarting, it says private network again

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Put in static IP for wireless network adapter. This is not a fix, however, but rather a workaround. Also, this workaround will cause issues when connecting to another wireless networks.

I'd try updating your wireless adapter drivers by downloading the latest ones from the website of your laptop vendor.

Toxik

Contributor
I tried putting a static IP and it wouldn't even connect at all, and I did update all my drivers but still won't do anything
At this point I'm pretty much giving up and hoping it won't happen too often :(

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I've been having similar problems with my wifi. What wifi card do you have in your PC? For me, what helped (temporarily) fix my Win10 laptop from doing that is to rollback the network adapter driver to the oldest driver on your computer. But after a windows update about a month ago, all of my old drivers aren't compatible anymore (so I'm back to having the same problems). But this might still work for you.

Basically, this was my fix:
  • Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> (Your Adapter)
  • Right Click on your network adapter and go to Properties
  • Go to the Driver tab and click on "Update Driver"
  • Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click on "Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer"
  • Click on the oldest driver and let it install.
  • Reboot PC
I'm not entirely sure if this is the fix for you. My wifi card is complete trash and has known issues with Windows 10. I'm just too lazy to look into a better fix, but this is a pretty decent patch job if it's the right thing for you.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Then you're doing something wrong. Find out what IP address of your router is.
For example, it's 192.168.1.1 ... In this case you should pick up IP address with the same first three octets (192.168.1) and the last octet could be pretty much any number.
With 192.168.1.1 as IP address of your router your set up should look like that:

xoPUfmb.jpg

Toxik

Contributor
When I try doing that, it says I have no connection and when I try to fix it, the problem found says "DHCP is not enabled for 'Wi-Fi' "

san7890

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Maybe your wifi card is just not compatible with Windows 10. I had the same problem, and then it disappeared. No idea how it came, no idea how it left.