S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
OK WOW...errrrr TIME OUT...so I disagree that families shouldn't be separated. I would never want to be separated from my family but if I mess up it's on me. I understand that people want to come to the US for a better life but it has to be done the right way. Blaming Trump is dumb because he's enforcing the law that has been around forever..he didn't create it. Your breaking the law by entering the country illegally. It's "your" fault your getting separated from your kids. If I murder someone can I bring my kids to jail with me?

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
It is a tough line to walk. The cause of family separation is the fact that the people crossing the border are being jailed, due to the no-tolerance policy recently put in place by A.G. Sessions, and obviously the child isn't going to jail with their parents.

To me, if the kids were spending less time away from their parents (i.e. a week instead of 46 days, which is the average time they spend away from what I believe), then it wouldn't be an issue. The solution is to find a way to speed up the court process so people can be processed faster. This could be done by increasing the number of immigration judges, and not jailing the people seeking asylum (there is a difference between asylum seekers and regular illegal immigrants).

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It's not a law, there is no law saying that it should happen. Trump is taking the blame because he's using it to try force negotiations and saying that it's a democratic party/Obama law.

What is actually happening is that A.G. Sessions is interpreting three laws in a combination that results in this policy:
  • Illegally entering the country can result in fines, or prison for a maximum of 6 months, or both
  • Government should release children from immigration detention without unnecessary delay, to (in order of child preference):
    • Parents
    • Other relatives
    • Programmes willing to take them
If not possible to do this immediately the government should provide somewhere safe that suits childs age, disabilities, etc.​
  • Bill signed by Bush Jr. that said the time limit for some children in the previous bullet point is 72 hours.
With all of these combined the government has four options:
  1. Release parents that cross with their children
  2. Release and fine parents that cross with their children
  3. Detain parents together with their children, prosecute parents
  4. Prosecute parents, detain children for max 72 hours (in some cases)
Previous governments have done number 2, or number 1 in some cases. Trumps administration is the first to do number 4. Yes, they're following the law - but they're also being rather unethical by using it as bargaining, in addition the UN has also warned the US that separating families is against some of the UN regulations.

Edit: "The United States announced it is leaving the U.N.’s Human Rights Commission on Tuesday.

The move comes at time when the U.N. Human Rights Commission (a 47-member body with rotating terms) and refugee agency have both condemned the president’s policy of separating children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexican border before they get the chance to apply for refugee status. On Monday, the U.N. rights chief called the Trump administration of splitting migrant families “unconscionable.”"

https://thinkprogress.org/u-s-leaves-the-u-n-human-rights-council-2bf690606819/

funny that many people didnt care when it was under obama administration
Because it didn't happen like this under Obama

Last edited:

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
there isn't a way of handling the border that doesn't make people mad so i wouldn't use that as a measuring stick for how well something is working out

so long as CBP negligence isn't getting people killed i suppose things could be worse

Reactions: S_O_C_K_S

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Illegally crossing the border is a misdemeanor. They are taking children away from parents for a misdemeanor.

Also they are refusing to let people in ports of entry to request asylum.

It’s like if there was a house fire, and police blocked the door, then arrested the parents and took away the kids for jumping out the window.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Also they are refusing to let people in ports of entry to request asylum.

It's a shame Trump is not our Prime Minister, otherwise we could do that here. Too many "asylum seekers" come in just to steal from the NHS and the benefits (our welfare) system.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
do you want to explain why you disagree with me or is it cuz you don't have any explanation

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It's a shame Trump is not our Prime Minister, otherwise we could do that here. Too many "asylum seekers" come in just to steal from the NHS and the benefits (our welfare) system.

We can do that, we just don't because it's dumb. You don't just get given things because you claim to be an asylum seeker, you have to prove your asylum status.

In addition you also don't get covered by the NHS as an adult for the vast majority of things (pretty much everything except giving birth) unless you're working and making NI contributions, or you're actively going through the universal credit system like everyone else.

It makes no sense to not allow asylum, our country was built on and thrives from immigration and immigrants (this is even more true for the US)

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
@Luke The British Empire (the biggest empire in the world) was built by british people so idk what you mean by that

all you have to do to claim asylum is build a shitty boat get half way across the channel, sink and then get saved by the uk coastguard

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The British Empire (the biggest empire in the world) was built by british people so idk what you mean by that

What do you think "British" means?

We're not a single race of people, we have no single origin.
Invaded by the Romans, Germans, Vikings, Normans.

We're made up of people from every country in the world.
Even more so if you consider the heroic people from WW1 and WW2.
Numerous people who came to fight by our side and have stayed by our side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_the_British_Isles

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
british are people with british ancestry

if i was an african born in japan would i be japanese

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
What do you think "British" means?

We're not a single race of people, we have no single origin.
Invaded by the Romans, Germans, Vikings, Normans.

We're made up of people from every country in the world.
Even more so if you consider the heroic people from WW1 and WW2.
Numerous people who came to fight by our side and have stayed by our side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_the_British_Isles

He's referring to ethnics, and not people who come over and claim they're British.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
british are people with british ancestry

Which is very few people, guarantee you are not pure blood British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people
Historically, the English population is descended from several peoples – the earlier Celtic Britons (or Brythons) and the Germanic tribes that settled in Britain following the withdrawal of the Romans, including Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians. Collectively known as the Anglo-Saxons, they founded what was to become England (from the Old English Englaland) along with the later Danes, Anglo-Normans and other groups. In the Acts of Union 1707, the Kingdom of England was succeeded by the Kingdom of Great Britain.[8] Over the years, English customs and identity have become fairly closely aligned with British customs and identity in general.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
can you tell me which one of these is japanese
675e6ede73344cbfa433d449c1c88a1f.jpg
AsianFacesQuiz-Men4-TetsuyaWatari-JAPANESE.jpg

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
context or is that just a shitpost

If you need context then you're not very good at identifying British people.

All of the people in the image are British - we are not a single ethnicity, nor a single race.