Perseus Dash Jackson

Epic Skial Regular
Okay. So my friend, he got himself a bluetooth dongle. That seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, the drivers to his bluetooth headset aren't.

I tracked down a driver that seems to work for him. Unfortunately, it's a .cab file. I've extracted it, but I've absolutely no idea what to do with it. Where do I install this? Or copy it? Or whatever?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
.cab drivers. lol.
Name of hardware, please?

Also, credits go to JerryK from driverguide.com:

"CAB files are common to drivers Microsoft places on their os installation disks.
They are compressed files (similiar to zip) which contain several files and can even contain hundreds of driver files. You don't install a cab file. You install the device using the add new hardware program....... during hardware installation the system will automtically look for the installation disk from it's original install location. If the disk or files are not in that default location, then you must redirect it to where the driver.cab file is located. The installation will automatically look for the required file(s) within the cab file and extract from it what is needed."

Perseus Dash Jackson

Epic Skial Regular
.cab drivers. lol.
Name of hardware, please?

Also, credits go to JerryK from driverguide.com:

"CAB files are common to drivers Microsoft places on their os installation disks.
They are compressed files (similiar to zip) which contain several files and can even contain hundreds of driver files. You don't install a cab file. You install the device using the add new hardware program....... during hardware installation the system will automtically look for the installation disk from it's original install location. If the disk or files are not in that default location, then you must redirect it to where the driver.cab file is located. The installation will automatically look for the required file(s) within the cab file and extract from it what is needed."

It's a Nokia BH-105 headset. You've probably never heard of it.

I went to that website. I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It's a Nokia BH-105 headset. You've probably never heard of it.

1iw8.jpg

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It just means that if you want to install drivers from the .cab file you have to do it through Device Manager.

Either check it to see if there is any unidentified hardware and then do "Update driver" and point it to the CAB file, or:

untitlediri.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆Camper |LZ|

Mildly Menacing Medic
Well fuck, windows thinks the most up-to-date drivers are already installed.

Thanks for the help, though.

You should be able to select the drivers that it should use also ;) ...if I'm not mistaking then that can also be selected at the same place where you tried to manually install the drivers.

If that doesn't work then you can always try a software called "Driver Easy"...I have used it several times when I haven't been able to find the right drivers so it should work...it only has one down side, slow download :P

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also: I can't find the manufacturer, or device, in Add Legacy Hardware.

1. Use the following KB or this article or simply use the command line expand [path to the CAB file you want to extract] [folder to expand to] (example: expand c:\drivers.cab c:\unpacked) to unpack the .cab file.
2. Run "Add legacy hardware" menu and do the following:

6VbCZ.jpg

Just click NEXT without specifying the manufacturer:

ScEyd.jpg

Use HAVE DISK button and point the Installer to the folder you've extracted the .CAB file to (there should be INF file):

sNh3X.jpg

PROFIT!