TONYOO101

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
So my old laptop is getting shitty. Like its literally falling apart on the edges of the sides of the screen, and the plastic is falling apart. So, what should I do? I can either jury rig this thing till Black Friday, and get a laptop on sale, or get one now. Either way, I need to find a good laptop for cheap. It ideally should be around 500 to 600 dollars.
Here are the main specs for it.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3020MB RAM
Memory is 270 GB.
If you need any other specs to find better laptops, just tell me.

Raccoon99

Epic Skial Regular
So my old laptop is getting shitty. Like its literally falling apart on the edges of the sides of the screen, and the plastic is falling apart. So, what should I do? I can either jury rig this thing till Black Friday, and get a laptop on sale, or get one now. Either way, I need to find a good laptop for cheap. It ideally should be around 500 to 600 dollars.
Memory is 270 GB.
Get a Desktop. Either Build it or get it from IBUYPOWER.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Are you looking for a gaming laptop or a basic use laptop?

If you're looking for laptop that you're using for just every day stuff then you really don't need to drop 600-700 dollars on one. For that much you could buy a low-mid end gaming laptop

TONYOO101

Are you looking for a gaming laptop or a basic use laptop?

If you're looking for laptop that you're using for just every day stuff then you really don't need to drop 600-700 dollars on one. For that much you could buy a low-mid end gaming laptop
I was kinda wanting to get a laptop that can handle games on a mid to low quality.

TONYOO101

What games in particular? The reason why I ask is to get an idea of what you're trying to run
Well to be able to handle Bioshock Infinite and Blacklight Retribution on Med. is great. If the price to get that is too high, I'll settle for low quality.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Well to be able to handle Bioshock Infinite and Blacklight Retribution on Med. is great. If the price to get that is too high, I'll settle for low quality.

A lot of my computer experience is with desktops so I'd appreciate it if someone else who knows a bit more could give a opinion on this, but after looking around

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-771G-6851-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B009JXK17G/?tag=amazons0d8-20

The laptop has a video card capable of running Battlefield 3 on ultra settings from what I've seen on Youtube. If you can get ultra settings in Battlefield 3 you should be able to run Bioshock and Blacklight no problems what so ever on high - ultra settings with this (I assume so, anyway)

The processor seems to be capable of running BF3 on high was well. The reason why I'm looking at BF3 is simply because its one hardware demanding game. If you can run that game with this laptop, you should be able to blow Bioshock and Blacklight out of the water with it and run Source games like a breeze, as well as other games like Skyrim.

The catch is this laptop seems to run Windows 8. I don't know if you like Win 8 or if you have a copy of windows 7 you could use if you don't want it. I have no idea how the compatibility is with Windows 8 and games now days so that could be a problem if you can't downgrade to windows 7.

Like I said though, I could be wrong in some areas here because the majority of my knowledge lies with desktops, so I'd appreciate it if someone else could give a opinion on this.

There may be better deals out there, this being the best one I could find myself. If you wait until the holidays you might be able to catch a good deal on a gaming laptop but that's up to you.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
Memory is 270 GB.

Wow, you best keep that laptop if it can handle 270 gigs of memory. Then again that entire post makes no sense...

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
i think you can find new laptops in places called "stores"

Stores usually have little selection and over price their gaming computers quite a bit. At least, from my experiences anyway.

Shopping around online is the best way to go in my opinion.

TONYOO101

A lot of my computer experience is with desktops so I'd appreciate it if someone else who knows a bit more could give a opinion on this, but after looking around

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-771G-6851-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B009JXK17G/?tag=amazons0d8-20

The laptop has a video card capable of running Battlefield 3 on ultra settings from what I've seen on Youtube. If you can get ultra settings in Battlefield 3 you should be able to run Bioshock and Blacklight no problems what so ever on high - ultra settings with this (I assume so, anyway)

The processor seems to be capable of running BF3 on high was well. The reason why I'm looking at BF3 is simply because its one hardware demanding game. If you can run that game with this laptop, you should be able to blow Bioshock and Blacklight out of the water with it and run Source games like a breeze, as well as other games like Skyrim.

The catch is this laptop seems to run Windows 8. I don't know if you like Win 8 or if you have a copy of windows 7 you could use if you don't want it. I have no idea how the compatibility is with Windows 8 and games now days so that could be a problem if you can't downgrade to windows 7.

Like I said though, I could be wrong in some areas here because the majority of my knowledge lies with laptops, so I'd appreciate it if someone else could give a opinion on this.

There may be better deals out there, this being the best one I could find myself. If you wait until the holidays you might be able to catch a good deal on a gaming laptop but that's up to you.

Great! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it since I have no idea what to do for getting new laptops.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Great! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it since I have no idea what to do for getting new laptops.

Like I said though, don't take my word for it because I could be wrong, I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to laptops. Try to get some other opinions on that laptop in particular and / or other laptops before you buy anything to be on the safe side

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Like I said though, I could be wrong in some areas here because the majority of my knowledge lies with laptops, so I'd appreciate it if someone else could give a opinion on this.

That Nvidia 640m will run Bf3 on ultra at about 12fps, which isn't really playable. You will get 45fps or so on low settings
Bioshock Infinite at 14fps on ultra and about 80fps on low

I would build a desktop if you just plan on gaming with it. Avoid pre-built "gaming" Desktops as they jack up the price for mid/low quality components and I see quite a few faulty ones come through the PC shop I work part time at. Otherwise just shop around a bit and look at reviews and benchmarks for laptop gpu's.

Like this site that tells you what type of fps you would be pulling on various games with different laptop gpu's.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That Nvidia 640m will run Bf3 on ultra at about 12fps, which isn't really playable. You will get 45fps or so on low settings
Bioshock Infinite at 14fps on ultra and about 80fps on low

Holy fuck I was way off

I think I'm going to stop giving computer advice before my mistakes cost someone money

Toxik

Contributor
If you want a laptop, my girlfriend got a Lenovo (I believe) Sager and it plays Dead Island and other heavy games better than my desktop :(
I'll post more info later if you're still looking for one

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Aww no, it was nice of you to help this guy right off the bat and you noted that your laptop knowledge was limited. Just scope out benchmark tests on a few different tech sites and it makes it easier. :-)

TONYOO101

Woo, thank goodness I didnt buy it yet. Anyhow, if anyone has a good laptop, be sure to tell me, since I'm still on the lookout for one.

[S.I.B.] Wolf Princess Von Toto

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor

Like I said though, I could be wrong in some areas here because the majority of my knowledge lies with desktops, so I'd appreciate it if someone else could give a opinion on this.

Acer laptop's are crap. Go for an asus or lenovo