Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of making a Medieval-themed Deathrun map for Team Fortress 2 and it is going extremely well so far. I wanted to make this thread for two reasons: the first is because although I have plenty of ideas for what traps should be in the map, it would be nice to have a list of suggestions from the community that I can work on when I become burnt out on my own ideas and secondly because I know personally that I love a map much more when I've suggested an idea that has made it into the final map.

As a side note, if you have a good idea for the name of the map then I am open to suggestions, the current name of the map is "dr_heriot", "Heriot" which is defined as being "a tribute paid to a lord out of the belongings of a tenant who died, often consisting of a live animal or, originally, military equipment that he borrowed", I felt that this definition suited the medieval theme and fitted death run very well.

What am I looking for?
I am looking to include every single suggestion which gets made into map in some form, in order for this to be as easy as possible please consider the following points before posting your suggestion:
  1. Suggestions must be medieval themed, or general ideas which can be adapted into this theme.
  2. Suggestions must be either be: traps, humiliation ideas* or detail suggestions**
  3. Suggestions which are complex to implement will be less likely to be implemented
* There will be a limit to how many humiliation ideas I can implement (aiming for 4/5)
** I cannot guarentee that each detail suggestion will be included, but I will do my best

If I include your idea in the map, you will be credited in the credits area of the map,
Thanks for reading- get suggesting!

Dolan Trump

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Trap ideas:
  • A black death themed trap. Players are locked within the area (its walls involve some contemporary black death pictures) and slowly lose health until they die.
  • Getting skewered by a bunch of guys on horses with lances running from one side to the other.
  • Getting launched by a trebuchet.
  • Getting hit by a flying pig/cow/whatever corpse.
  • Getting accused as a witch and getting burned at the stake.
  • There's gotta be at LEAST one Monty Python reference; in this case, the killer rabbit of Caerbannog, OR the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (the latter gibs you if it kills you).
Ending ideas:
  • A medieval themed version of the falling platforms minigame.
  • Save the princess from the evil sorcerer (aka Hale).

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
@Dolan Trump
  • "Getting skewered by a bunch of guys on horses with lances running from one side to the other.", I like this idea and it was something that I had previously thought about however it was removed from my list of ideas because I was unable to find good horse/knight models.
  • "Getting launched by a trebuchet." & "Getting hit by a flying pig/cow/whatever corpse.", these ideas both need a large space to work with, plus I think a trebuchet model will probably be too hard to find/wouldn't be very good if made from scratch
  • "Getting accused as a witch and getting burned at the stake.", I can't stress how much I love this idea- in my head I can imagine it perfectly, players being attached to a wooden pole, surrounded by fire whilst the other players watch them burn to death.
  • "A medieval themed version of the falling platforms minigame", I'm almost certain that the faling platforms minigame will be one of the endings, do you have any further suggestions for themeing?
  • "Save the princess from the evil sorcerer (aka Hale)", would this be a parkour course until a player reaches Hale, or what?
For each of your other ideas, I have no problems with them.

@RobotMafiaStripClub
  • "If this is going to be a medieval DR map, it needs a killer rabbit for sure. Maybe as a motivator?", might be too small to make a good motivator but I could include a trap at some point in the level which includes the bunny- or even just as a detail prop that kills you when you touch it.
List of Ideas
@Dolan Trump
  • Black death themed trap
  • Witch trial, burned at the stake
  • Medieval themed falling platforms minigame
  • Save the princess minigame (pending reply)
  • Rabbit of Caerbannog

Dolan Trump

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
@Dolan Trump
  • "Save the princess from the evil sorcerer (aka Hale)", would this be a parkour course until a player reaches Hale, or what?

Find a Princess Peach/Zelda/Fiona/Whatever model and have Hale stand next to it. Players need to get through a brief parkour course involving a lava moat that kills you if you fall in, wood skewers, a ball and chain, a dragon and stuff. Person who gets to the end presses a button that kills Hale. Also there's a deathwall.

As for the falling platforms game, instead of colors, each panel is wood and has a unique arcane symbol. The game itself is set in a dungeon. Otherwise functions identically to standard platform games (announcer counts down, chain fence kills players in between spaces, etc.).

And, just thought of this, a ball and chain could also be a trap on the main map too.

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
Giant_dad_stunlocks.png

Bringing GiantDad would be pretty fun and funny to see.

- Stunlocks