ozzeh / dave

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
just s the title says - what wireless adapters do you use (if any) and why? include your operating system(s) too please

nix users particularly welcome - i'm looking for a good, "future proof" multi os compatible adapter

Last edited:

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
Are you asking about 802.11(a/b/g/n/ac)? My router has a Linksys 802.11g card that I bought about seven or eight years ago and it still works really well. I'm using it with pfSense which is based on FreeBSD. I also have a couple of TrendNet 802.11g USB adapters that are decent, but won't operate as an access point. I use these with Windows 10 and Linux. I use my wireless adapters because it's easier than trying to run Cat5e cable everywhere.

If you are asking because you are thinking about buying some wireless adapters, it's really more important to take notice of the chipset manufacture than the card manufacturer. Atheros, Ralink, and Broadcom make good chips.

Since we are talking about wireless adapters, always use WPA2 CCMP/AES for encryption. NEVER use WEP or go without encryption. Also, consider setting up a VPN server and having all wireless clients connect over the VPN for improved security. OpenVPN and L2TP/IPsec are good choices. NEVER use point to point tunneling protocol (PPTP) because the data security it provides is horribly broken.

ozzeh / dave

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
yeah, a vpn server is nice for extra security

chipsets - yeah, I was thinking ralink or atheros

it seems hard to find a decent cross platform adapter that isn't full of reviews saying it died in 3 months or drops signals like crazy. either everything looks good for linux and shits out on windows, or the connection drops or fails completely according to reviews

Last edited:

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
The main reason that people have trouble with wireless adapters on Linux is due to the user not downloading and installing the proper firmware files. Some wireless chipsets don't have firmware included in the Linux kernel and some distos strip out most of the wireless firmware because they consider it not to be free software. Just about all wireless chipsets use externally loaded firmware.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I have never had any problems with the adapter that is built in on the motherboard. I have had Ralink and Atheros both. Although I don't use Linux other than playing around on a live CD or on a virtual machine, so my experience is pretty much all Windows.

Does your mobo not have something built-in or are you wanting to upgrade?

ozzeh / dave

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
nope don't have any wireless on my mobo. i'm looking for a decent universal wireless usb adapter to use on several machines both windows(7/8.1) and linux

and like I said before, it seems simple enough to find the right chipsets for nix but everything I've found thus far has lots of bad reviews