Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Other than TF2 demos, I wanted to start doing live commentaries. However, my current recording device demands I play games in windowed mode which significantly lowers my FPS. On top of recording, I hardly get any FPS. What would you guys suggest I use to record? (Preferably free cause I'm cheap)

Reactions: Defibyoulater

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
If you aren't getting many FPS to begin with, the performance hit of recording will probably halve that.

OBS is a good, free alternative to fraps. No watermarks or any of that bullshit. No catch. You do have to configure it the first time around, though. On the bright side it can be configured to trade-off a lower quality recording for higher FPS, or vice-versa. Even in my case I had to play around with it to hit that 1080p + 60fps sweet spot.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If you aren't getting many FPS to begin with, the performance hit of recording will probably halve that.

OBS is a good, free alternative to fraps. No watermarks or any of that bullshit. No catch. You do have to configure it the first time around, though. On the bright side it can be configured to trade-off a lower quality recording for higher FPS, or vice-versa. Even in my case I had to play around with it to hit that 1080p + 60fps sweet spot.
I get around 70 FPS in CSGO, 110 in TF2 but I tried configuring OBS and it only recorded my audio, despite game capture being set for TF2.
Loilo Recording. Simple cheap free.
Never heard of it but site looks sketchy,

Dave

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Maybe GoPro ..yea wear a GoPro. Than we can see everything that you're doing.