• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

porkchop

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
Funny, when I go to under-populated servers with bots on them, seems like the real people all group on one team and enjoy annihilating the bots together. I join the bot team to ruin their fun.

mehdick

Scarcely Lethal Noob
How is it misleading or malicious advertisement when it tells you on the tin how many players and how many bots are on the server.

And what's more

Look at that, not counting myself, there are exactly 9 players and 11 bots inside the server.
It's not showing for me
1635757015798.png

1635757088377.png
There were around 4 players according to stats page on the website (+/- few, I've checked few minutes after making the screenshot).

It's like this on some servers, on some servers (like 2FORT+ or TURBINE+) I do see bot counter and BOT marker in the ping section.
Maybe adding a [BOT] tag could help, if it cannot be done differently for some reason? I understand why bots are needed, but it's disheartening to realize all your ubers went to bots.

Other thing is, I suppose the server with 12 players (6v6) can stand on its own feet. I can't imagine anyone who'd prefer to play 10vs10 with 8 bots than 6v6 without any. Though I suppose that's not a big deal, since according to stats servers are almost empty before 3PM, and almost full after, so there's probably rarely 12 players.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Jermaphobe

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
It's not showing for me
There were around 4 players according to stats page on the website (+/- few, I've checked few minutes after making the screenshot).
Server list counts 17 players, 0 bots. Bot counter will hide itself when there are no bots present. Scoreboard shows 19 players. Somehow you and an extra player joining between the server list screenshot and the scoreboard screenshot is malicious advertisement?

Skial stats is on ancient code that sometimes de-syncs with some servers, it'll right itself eventually. Not worth spending time to fix it at its source when time can be better spent somewhere else.

I do see bot counter and BOT marker in the ping section.
Maybe adding a [BOT] tag could help,

Why do you need more than one tag to show a player is a bot? It isn't our problem if players lack competent reading comprehension.

Bottiger

Administrator
Not sure why this argument has gone on for so long. We understand some people just can't tolerate bots. But they lead the server to filled entirely with human players so you can enjoy them. People that get the server started in the day prefer this over 0-1 human players. TF2 can't be played with 2 people.

We've tested this many times before, we're even testing it now. You can take a look at 2 of our servers where we don't send any AFK players and nobody ever joins them.

74.91.116.200:27019
162.248.93.211:27016

This is the time of year where players are at the lowest, especially community ones due to Valve releasing official server only contracts so you are going to get more complaints about bots right now. People can also remove the AFK tags from their names. People can also just be bad at the game.

If you dislike this that is understandable, just join another server. Getting a community server filled is a very difficult task no thanks to Valve, that is underappreciated by people coming from casual.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoomBa and porkchop

Biff

Mildly Menacing Medic
"We forced a bot to read every Thicc Milf Enthusiast post and write a screenplay:
[Scene set in Skial forums] I am important. You are a bot.
[scolding tone] The people demand bot justice. We are being replaced by bots.
..."

Full-time dumbass (F2P)

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Disregard all of this. What you should actually do is see a therapist because you got this upset over a 15 year old videogame community server using bots when player counts are low.

You don't need answers, you need to breathe.
Even though you are right about them needing to take a rest, I think they've got somewhat of an argument here. Maybe the bots DO need some tweaking. I too have been getting some troubles with their balancing, I am not complaining, just pointing out.

Biff

Mildly Menacing Medic
All that bot magic is done by just setting the TF2 script variables or is there actual server side executable script / code?

Nicholas771212

TF2 Admin
Maybe the bots DO need some tweaking. I too have been getting some troubles with their balancing, I am not complaining, just pointing out.
Maybe this would help a little, but you cannot satisfy everyone. The bots are dumbed down so that even new players can have a decent chance against them. When the difficulty is increased the number of players who are able to win are decreased. This continues until eventually no players can defeat the bots (eg. aimbot/wallhacks). There are a large amount of people who will complain if a bot is stronger than them. So what needs to be done is to find a middle ground, one that makes the least amount of people dissatisfied, which would lie anywhere between the bot being braindead to aimbot. Finding that middle ground is a large task in of itself, and on top of that the bots would need to be coded to follow that (If i remember correctly, bots aren't the best on hard mode). Even if you did all of this you would still have people complaining that the bots exist. You can't make everyone happy, personally I don't have much of an issue, even if the bot i braindead I'd much rather go against a semi populated team rather than something like 2 v 2.