The Dank One

Mildly Menacing Medic
Tell me what your guys favorite CPU is I am interested in building a new cost efficient build for my friends birthday just wondering about CPU recommendations and favorite CPU's

Mr. Socko

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
I would recommend you to wait for the AMD Ryzen to get released which will be by early march. Since Intel has been doing nothing with their processors and simply releasing new processors with increased price and no performance gains due to lack of competition. So far AMD Ryzen processors are highly anticipated due lower expected price and their high end processor competing with the Intel i7 processors.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
the i5 4670 and i5 4690 and i5 7600 are very good. if you want an i7 then the 7700k and 6800k are really good.

basically anything from the 6000/7000 series of i5/i7 will be good

its difficult to give you good advice without knowing a price range

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
if ya just wanna game get a i5 if ya want to stream get a i7
but still wait for ryzen it can only help you

Percilius

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
I use an Intel i5 6200u and so far all the games I played have no lag.
I would recommend buying either i5/i7 from 6000/7000

JeezTheresNoBloodyNamesLe

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Regarding waiting for next month's CPU/GPU, there's always a new processor out next month that's better than this month's. No matter what you buy and no matter when you buy it, there would have been something faster or cheaper if only you'd waited. But you can play games tomorrow on the processor you buy today, but not on the processor you're going to buy next month. And, a year from now, they will both be last year's stock. Just buy from what is available today. That was true when I started playing computer games in 1980 and it's true now.

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
Regarding waiting for next month's CPU/GPU, there's always a new processor out next month that's better than this month's. No matter what you buy and no matter when you buy it, there would have been something faster or cheaper if only you'd waited. But you can play games tomorrow on the processor you buy today, but not on the processor you're going to buy next month. And, a year from now, they will both be last year's stock. Just buy from what is available today. That was true when I started playing computer games in 1980 and it's true now.
that claim is unfeasible . there is a big leap next month regarding amd who hasnt released a cpu in years. and intel does relaese cpus ever year however the increases are marginal. just wait for amd ryzen plain and simple

185db

Epic Skial Regular
What is the big difference between the I5 and i7
An i7 of the same generation will be just straight up faster than an i5. Also they have more cache so they can do multiple processes faster.

Anyone who tells you it won't help at all for gaming is wrong. While it doesn't make as big of a difference as say a gpu upgrade for most games, an i7 in something like tf2 can really help.

The Dank One

Mildly Menacing Medic
I would recommend you to wait for the AMD Ryzen to get released which will be by early march. Since Intel has been doing nothing with their processors and simply releasing new processors with increased price and no performance gains due to lack of competition. So far AMD Ryzen processors are highly anticipated due lower expected price and their high end processor competing with the Intel i7 processors.
Thank you so much! I will look into it

Reactions: Mr. Socko

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What is the big difference between the I5 and i7
i5 doesn't have hyperthreading and i7 does. Basically the OS sees 2 virtual cores for every physical core, and splits the workload between them, making resource usage more efficient. This is good for programs that are CPU intensive, but only if they support multiple cores.

An i7 of the same generation will be just straight up faster than an i5. Also they have more cache so they can do multiple processes faster.

Anyone who tells you it won't help at all for gaming is wrong. While it doesn't make as big of a difference as say a gpu upgrade for most games, an i7 in something like tf2 can really help.
Many games flat out don't support using more than 2 cores. The only option in TF2 that you can enable that is multicore rendering, which is extremely limited in function and probably won't give a massively noticeable performance increase when using an i7 over an i5.

Secondly, having a larger cache does not directly mean you can do multiple processes faster, because all the cache does is act like super fast RAM, and stores frequently used data so the system can access it faster, leading to an overall faster system, but this does not mean it can do multiple processes faster necessarily, although it most cases it does.

In computer hardware, there is significant diminishing returns. The jump from an i3 to an i5 is much larger than the jump from an i5 to an i7. Especially in gaming, most games are much more GPU heavy (except certain cases, say ARMA) and as such a high level CPU is not necessary to run a game well, in fact pairing a powerful GPU which an average CPU (say 1080 + i5) is much better than the opposite (i7 + 1070), simply because most games won't be able to utilize what makes the i7 a better CPU.

edit forgot to mention this is ignoring AMD, they are a whole other beast.

Last edited: