Reporter

Administrator
What Casual Queue Brings to TF2.
I've spent the last day or so posting some pretty dumb crap about the new quick play system. This post is a more serious look at what this change could bring to TF2. I want to focus on the positive aspects since there are more than enough posts discussing the negatives of this new system.
First and foremost, this new system 'organizes' TF2. It controls who goes in and who goes out in a way that makes being thrown into empty servers a thing of the past. Even if you do get tossed into a dead server, it will not be very long until people join. This system also makes people more focused on playing the match. How many times have you complained about hoovies or conga lines? Hell, I have had a post DELETED and I got accused of shitposting for posting a picture of a conga line. It is clear our community hates it when people do not play the actual game. So now that Valve does away with that, they are now villians who "ruined what makes a pub a pub."
Secondly, this new update reinvigorates the community servers. Since Tough Break and Gun Mettle, Valve servers were THE WAY to play TF2. Even people on reddit were mentioning how the quickplay system was kind of killing community servers. If you want to play specific maps, pub stomp, or be a friendly Hoovy you can still accomplish this on a Skial server (I have my own gripes with Skial servers, but I mentioned them for the sake of an example). On that, we now know that we can play community servers while queueing up for a casual match. So having that as an option while you wait for a casual 12 v 12 will really bring some life back to the community servers.
My third and final point is the overall layout of the system. This new system is easier for new players to figure out. At least from what I have seen. TF2 is a huge game now, with a huge player base, and a huge assortment of game modes and maps. About two years ago, I introduced a friend to TF2. One aspect that almost scared them away was the overwhelming nature of the original quickplay system. As a new player imagine, you hit play and now you are given a list of all these game modes, none of which you understand. This new system streamlines the process. You hit play, you hit casual, and you either hit play again, or mess around with the game modes. Honestly this point is the most important in my eyes. For the most part, a new player in the old quickplay would most likely just choose random and go on their way. With the way TF2 has evolved, that random button can now put them in anything from Payload or Capture Points to Mann Power and Pass Time. Having the side modes as an option that must be turned on makes the experience much better for the new player. New players is what TF2 REALLY needs right now.
The points listed above also fail to mention the outright WRONG aspects of this update (Ie: the broken queue system in casual among other things). After playing with this new update for a while, I honestly enjoy the change more than I initially did. I want to mention (if it was not already obvious enough) that this is my opinion, but I do want to hear what you have to say about my stance. Love it or hate it, the way the game is right now WILL CHANGE. There are no ifs, ands, or butts about it. Still I think simply reverting back to the old quickplay system might not be the best course of action. Change is scary and after nearly 10 years of being the same, it only makes sense that the community is stirred by these changes.

Author: kill_la_kill_urself

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/4ry5ub/what_casual_queue_brings_to_tf2/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/4ry5ub/what_casual_queue_brings_to_tf2/?ref=search_posts