jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Geezus, stop derailing this thread.

Back to the thread: When you play comp pyro, which is the best secondary?
Personally as Scout, I hate skilled degreaser + flare gun pyros, since I can't get any close to them without getting murdered (even with Atomizer..).

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Geezus, stop derailing this thread.

Back to the thread: When you play comp pyro, which is the best secondary?
Personally as Scout, I hate skilled degreaser + flare gun pyros, since I can't get any close to them without getting murdered (even with Atomizer..).
While I kind of want to say the shotgun...
The pyro plays a behind-front-lines role. Kind of staying behind people barely, ready to jump ahead of them and reflect the projectiles. Thus, you don't really see a pyro on the other team, which is what you would need a shotty for, since you have 2 front lines between you, theoretically.

I've seen a LOT of Detonators on HL. Any opinions?

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I prefer stock scatter for scoot, even though I'm pretty good with soda popper. I'd imagine in competitive play I'd be drawn even more to the scatter since people wouldn't be making dumb mistakes and letting scouts get past them as much.

As for pyro, gas jockey + flare gun erryday. I've been able to harass and sometimes even take down heavymedics with it.

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
While I kind of want to say the shotgun...
The pyro plays a behind-front-lines role. Kind of staying behind people barely, ready to jump ahead of them and reflect the projectiles. Thus, you don't really see a pyro on the other team, which is what you would need a shotty for, since you have 2 front lines between you, theoretically.

I've seen a LOT of Detonators on HL. Any opinions?
detonator pyros, i think, are the more offensive, on the battlefield, types then the defending the engies type. what would be good for det pyros for melee would either be powerjack(+75 on kill) or BS(more effective health pickups). as for a primary, i myself have kept with the degreaser mainly because i'm too used to the quick switch, but since the detonator allows you to get to places no one would expect you to be, the backburner could be a viable option since the 100%crits from behind.
that's my opinion on it, you can get to lots of places if you can time the flare jump correctly in some places

λir

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
if he had scattergun he would still be top-fragging with twice as much kills, jus' sayin'
Actually, i don't think that's true. Nobody could kill him, when we DID kill him, it was because of an uber or a kritz, the soda popper never limited him. Scattergun just would have killed us a few seconds faster.

Reactions: DrRuelel

λir

To talk about the detonator pyro, I had a discussion with my team's pyro, who is a shotgun pyro, and then bfl satan, who is a flare gun fanatic. Satan is a really good pyro deathmatch, I've seen him kill people so quickly you don't see the flare gun come out. He is also extremely strong with airblasts, he almost never misses them. He can deal with spies in less than a second when he finds them, and i've personally never been able to kill him when i play against him, unless i have the team right beside with two medics, and uber, AND three direct hit soldiers. (although i'm not that good at the game)

My team's pyro, on the other hand isn't that deathmatch focused. He uses the shotgun, and i've more than once turned around to him burning and killing a spy. He plays a very supportive role. Not just for the engie's benefit either, the engie is good enough that the pyro doesn't need to protect his sentry most of the time, mainly because the engie has moved it so the enemy doesn't know where it is.

To get into the abilities of each secondary, the shotgun does more damage, and it doesn't discriminate against if the target is on fire or not. It's a solid hitscan weapon, not much else to say.

The flare gun, it has infinite range, and does 90 to targets on fire. it doesn't have to be reloaded if you switch off. This gives the pyro a hard hitting option for when the axetinguisher isn't in range. It is also possible to spray an enemy pyro with flames and switch to the flare gun with degreaser and shoot them for the crit damage, though this is very difficult.

The detonator can burst in mid air, does mini crits, can remove stickies, can detonator jump a short distance. Unless the medic is down for the other team, or he's retarded, you're not going to do much damage with the detonator over long ranges. On some maps, the detonator isn't viable because the the jump with it is very limited. like on badwater, there are very few locations where you can det jump. To get back on the original map of discussion of this post, steel, you can det jump to E before the bridges are extended to try and put some pressure on it.

Depends on the situation and pyro. I'd also like it to be a rule that if you don't play comp, you shouldn't be allowed to post in this section. Lobbies are not comp.

λir

I prefer stock scatter for scoot, even though I'm pretty good with soda popper. I'd imagine in competitive play I'd be drawn even more to the scatter since people wouldn't be making dumb mistakes and letting scouts get past them as much.

Honestly, the only reason the soda popper worked is because this was an invite level player. He doesn't miss, period. Not to mention that in all honesty, my team is not that great.