mintoyatsu

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
Mapper
I have updated vsh_mariokart to v3 following Stack Man's latest feedback:

gamebanana.com/maps/211853
  • Removed green pipe doors which were causing players to get stuck and improved clipping.
  • Fixed Engineers blocking teammate access to vent entrances.
  • Implemented a fix to automatically unstuck players who clip into the kart or are pushed into the ground by the kart.
I have created several "trigger_teleport_relative" brushes under the road that should free the player in case they are pushed into the ground by the kart on a certain portion of the track. Additionally, any players that clip inside the kart should be automatically teleported back on top of it. As always, the download to the compiled map and source files can be found on GameBanana or TF2Maps.

Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
A lot of players really hate the cloud. You might want to remove it (or at least, the invisible dispenser) before this post gets approved.

mintoyatsu

Contributor
Mapper
https://gamebanana.com/maps/211853

v3 has been updated with several new changes:

NEW:
  • Moved springboards to the center of the map to allow players to jump onto the point from below (like in vsh_crevice)
  • Added wooden beams on both sides of the point to make it easier to traverse the middle of the map

CLOUD NERFS:
  • Removed the invisible dispenser on the cloud
  • Engineers cannot build dispensers or teleporters on the cloud
  • Made it so players fall off the cloud when stunned by Hale
  • Jumping Hales can now hit players on the cloud from below

SPEED RAMP NERFS:
  • Speed ramps now behave as catapults rather than push volumes (like in vsh_nebula), this should help prevent players from infinitely spamming it without landing.
  • Speed ramps launch players at a more horizontal angle rather than vertical
  • Made it so players cannot use speed ramps when stunned by Hale

OTHER:
  • Fixed the green elevator not moving if more than one player was standing on it
  • Fixed players blocking the green elevator from reaching the top
  • Removed the cannon at the corner of the map and replaced it with a warp pipe instead
  • Removed the roof and pillars near the gas pumps to open and simplify the area
  • Removed railings in several spots to make movement in these areas less annoying

Last edited:

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
@mintoyatsu

Some feedback from regulars and myself from playing on the most recent version;

-Ramp Changes
I understand the idea of making the ramps not usable during stun, but I don't believe that actually changed much in practice. Since Hale isn't stunned, a player can walk onto the ramp and move around on it, and if Hale follows them to try and secure the kill, there's a good chance he just gets launched and misses the RED entirely. If Hale really wanted someone dead before this change, he'd be able to follow them on the ramp; it's harder to strafe while stunned, so taking the ramp wasn't a guaranteed escape.
I'd suggest to revert this change, I don't think this made it much easier on Hale, and also REDs who get onto the ramp while stunned can just chill on it after the stun wears off.

People liked chaining the ramps, and maybe they shouldn't be able to perfectly chain them with ease, but it was a fun mechanic I still like to see, albeit with a higher skill floor. The mostly horizontal launch vector means less fall damage for most classes. On Nebula, Oilrig, etc. as much as you can chain the ramp(s), the limiting factor is usually fall damage, which forces REDs to grab health before they can continue, sooner or later. You do have a large health pack on Mario Kart, but it's nicely out of the way of both ramps, leaving only small health packs relatively near them.
I'd suggest adding more vertical launch to the ramps to increase fall damage from them and to make it slightly more feasible to reach the other ramp.

-Geometry Changes
Some players miss the gas station roof as the main elevated anchor spot on its side of the map, as well as the green pipe door(s) as a stopping point for huntsman taunting, telefragging, etc. (although, for that, only one door would be enough to get the job done.)
Unless these pieces posed more serious issues I'm unaware of, I'd ask to return these items, as they added more to the map existing than not.

(I don't remember how people were getting stuck in the green pipe door, but maybe a bit more generous of a trigger area would be enough to prevent stuck players? also the main functionality for REDs was moreso blocking line of sight, so maybe another potential fix is to just make the door non-solid to players stuck inside the door with a tiny trigger in the door itself.)

mintoyatsu

Contributor
Mapper
@mub

Thank you for your feedback.

In regards to ramp chaining:
  • You shouldn't be able to chain both ramps in rapid succession. Hale has no time to catch up if players are always flying in the air in front of him. It also contributes to the rounds taking too long.
  • You can still get near the other ramp with fall damage and a few seconds to climb back up.
  • A strong horizontal force is needed to prevent players holding the back button on the ramp. If the arc was more vertical as well, players would be flying in the sky to stall the round again.
The utility of the ramps is being able to quickly get from one side of the map to the other and land on platforms you otherwise wouldn't be able to as your class. For example, you can land on the tree near the capture point, the full healthkit, and anything immediately to the left or right of the ramp if you strafe enough. Depending on where you go and the class you play, the fall damage is different. I think that's balanced.

In regards to the roof over the gas station:
  • This area was mostly only used by Snipers and Engineers. These classes already have plenty of elevated spots, including both corners of the map.
  • For every other class, it just made the area too cramped and blocked jumpers from reaching the small kits.
As an alternative, you can still crouch jump onto the van which is roughly the height of those shipping container props. I've seen Heavies do this before.

As for the rest of your feedback, I will be taking it into consideration for a future update. Specifically, to allow stunned players to use the ramp again, and restoring the door in the green pipe.

Let me know if you would like to see anything else changed in v4 of this map.

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
@mub

Thank you for your feedback...
Let me know if you would like to see anything else changed in v4 of this map.

Would you be willing to add 2-3 more ammo packs in the vents room? I personally see this room get a lot less engineer usage than the green pipe room since the green pipe room has a lot more ammo.