nip nop

Mildly Menacing Medic
It doesn't really add that much to the game, and hardcore messes with weapon balancing. It arbitrarily buffs classes like engineer and heavy to insane degrees for almost 0 drawback, and encourages more camp-centric playstyles.

True Darkian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor

You taunt, you risk getting an easy death for a short time.
This is a very old feature that is loved by many and makes RED not too underpowered.

Several weapons that rally on mini crits will die off in popularity such as the Back Scatter, I'm pretty sure the amount of Engies will also decrease, nests are already super easy to destroy.

It is already hard to get mini crits since Jarate doesn't work and neither does the Fan o' War.
RED will get too underpowered, hale VS RED wins are stabilizing already.

I have yet to hear anyone complain about taunting for mini crits.

nip nop

Mildly Menacing Medic

You taunt, you risk getting an easy death for a short time.
This is a very old feature that is loved by many and makes RED not too underpowered.

Several weapons that rally on mini crits will die off in popularity such as the Back Scatter, I'm pretty sure the amount of Engies will also decrease, nests are already super easy to destroy.

It is already hard to get mini crits since Jarate doesn't work and neither does the Fan o' War.
RED will get too underpowered, hale VS RED wins are stabilizing already.

I have yet to hear anyone complain about taunting for mini crits.
except its not always a risk. an engineer or heavy can mindlessly taunt in a nest and get 5000 more damage than they normally would. mini-crit boosted sentries are absurd. back scatter 100% does not rely on minicrits lmao, and weapons shouldnt be balanced off the feature in the first place. if players are playing a class because of such a powerful feature, that is all the more reason for it to be looked into. nests arent hard to destroy yes, but theyre not meant to be durable; engineer as a class is defensive/ supportive, and their team should be supporting their sentry guns as well. mini crits are rare in normal gameplay yes, but that doesnt mean they should be given for free.

i 100% realize that hale is debatably more powerful than red at the moment, i've already voiced my opinion on bunny's eyelander range and other general factors, and am planning to voice more, but this is an issue as well. just because its a feature thats been around for a while, doesn't mean it isnt dated and can be removed/ reworked.

True Darkian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
except its not always a risk. an engineer or heavy can mindlessly taunt in a nest and get 5000 more damage than they normally would. mini-crit boosted sentries are absurd. back scatter 100% does not rely on minicrits lmao, and weapons shouldnt be balanced off the feature in the first place. if players are playing a class because of such a powerful feature, that is all the more reason for it to be looked into. nests arent hard to destroy yes, but theyre not meant to be durable; engineer as a class is defensive/ supportive, and their team should be supporting their sentry guns as well. mini crits are rare in normal gameplay yes, but that doesnt mean they should be given for free.

i 100% realize that hale is debatably more powerful than red at the moment, i've already voiced my opinion on bunny's eyelander range and other general factors, and am planning to voice more, but this is an issue as well. just because its a feature thats been around for a while, doesn't mean it isnt dated and can be removed/ reworked.
I can agree with Engi, but Heavy's taunt on mini crits does not work half the time, I think it has a limit, like Sniper's mini crits only lasting a second long.
Heavy and Engi are one of the two classes that do benefit from the mini crits, if they can't do well enough damage then nobody will play them.
Nobody will play Engi by just placing teleporters, a dispenser and then a Sentry that does only 400 damage, gets noticed and destroyed already, same for Heavy with his minigun.

The Back Scatter has a mini crits convert to crits buff which really helps with taunting, it is a very viable weapon as seen ingame, it makes up for the 3 cons it already has, otherwise it is mostly Force a Nature that Scouts use.

It is what keeps certain classes encouraged to play.

Besides if played right, even mini crit boosted sentries are not a problem for the hale.

Max1996

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor

Heavy is a poor example. The amount of usable time where Heavy gets mini-crits from taunting is cut short by the spin-up or, in the case of the Tomislav, slower firing speed.

I said it already, but my stance on this suggestion is simple.
hardcore -1

nip nop

Mildly Menacing Medic
I can agree with Engi, but Heavy's taunt on mini crits does not work half the time, I think it has a limit, like Sniper's mini crits only lasting a second long.
Heavy and Engi are one of the two classes that do benefit from the mini crits, if they can't do well enough damage then nobody will play them.
Nobody will play Engi by just placing teleporters, a dispenser and then a Sentry that does only 400 damage, gets noticed and destroyed already, same for Heavy with his minigun.

The Back Scatter has a mini crits convert to crits buff which really helps with taunting, it is a very viable weapon as seen ingame, it makes up for the 3 cons it already has, otherwise it is mostly Force a Nature that Scouts use.

It is what keeps certain classes encouraged to play.

Besides if played right, even mini crit boosted sentries are not a problem for the hale.
both heavy and engineer are very well capable of impressive damage without mini crits. heavy's minigun and brass beast shred hales after super jumps and up close, especially with the support of medics, and engineer with good support can deal valuable sentry damage and his crit pistol is very formidable. engineer will always be debated upon whether or not it is a "fun" class, and if people will only play it because of an extremely abusable mechanic, then that goes to show how broken it really is.
i 100% enjoy myself playing engie and especially heavy without having to abuse taunts, it all depends on how well you can actually play the class.

Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper

First, I'd like to state that each class has taunt mini-crits for a different duration. Second, Heavy can only get mini-crits if he started taunting below 500 health.

Soldier, Heavy, Demoman, and Engineer all have a "long" 10s duration.

Although it may not be an ideal balance, direct hit soldiers and sticky trap demos need MCTs to be viable.
Heavies, as others have stated, and in my own observations, cannot make much use of MCTs due to rev up and overheal restrictions.
Engineer is quite strong with MCTs, especially combined with recent buffs. If anyone should lose MCTs, its him. You could decrease the duration to reduce its effectiveness instead of removing it completely.

And just to cover the rest of the classes,

Scout and Pyro have "short" 5s durations. Players end up needing to taunt quite frequently because of this.

For pyros, its basically useless as you also need to be in close range of hale. Having both is difficult to achieve and dangerous.
For scouts, the impact is minimal, but there. Honestly, it's too short for the back scatter to be viable, but if it were longer, other weapons would be much stronger.

Spy's MCTs are useless. All of his weapons have mini crits or crits by default.
Sniper's are way too short to use meaningfully.
And medic is medic.

Dragontamer

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Also, the reason why heavy doesn't get minicrits all the time is because when you have overheal, it gets disabled since he has 15% more damage when a medic heals him

Serena

Scarcely Lethal Noob
-1 Its risk reward. Even if they are in a nest, I believe sentry guns have little to no knock back effect on the hale and rage does exist for a reason.