RequiemForThePhantom1

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Hello forums. The suggestion I am going to make is the one stated in the title, the Pyro Air Jump plugin.

• What does it do: It is very simple. It allows the pyro to use the airblast to jump into higher distance. Though, one must jump first and then use the airblast to make the impulse it needs. The direction in which is aimed will determine the jump it does.
  • Why should it be added: I feel that the Pyro class is weak in both game modes. Most Pyros go and use any flamethrower and reset with airblast. I consider that the most effective way to play the class is Degreaser - Airblast - Flare Gun or Powerjack. Having a flare jump is nice, but it only allows for escape mechanisms or the said combo. Adding the airblast jump can allow the pyro to be more mobile rather than depending too much on the flare gun for escaping. It can help the class deal more damage if used with the goomba. Naturally, one must manage their health and ammo when using this.
I am hoping to see what does the community thinks of this, and if possible, add this to the game modes.

Reactions: mike-kirby

mike-kirby

Positively Inhumane Poster
I don't think adding another way for pyro to 'jump' would be that useful. Pyro has a the airblast in general which is extremely useful for escaping. I've played pyro a lot before he got nerfed and the best loadout was by far the degreaser, reserve shooter/flare gun and the backscratcher. Right now pyro is either a great support (for rage) or a weak hitter. If pyro's shotgun got buffed so it would either always deal minicrits or crits, people at least have the choice between being a godlike support or a heavy hitter.
* what I mean is, pyro should get a damage buff instead of a movement buff. Or use the old degreaser instead.

+0 Nvm what I said. It does buff pyro to some extend.

Last edited:

RequiemForThePhantom1

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I don't think adding another way for pyro to 'jump' would be that useful. Pyro has a the airblast in general which is extremely useful for escaping. I've played pyro a lot before he got nerfed and the best loadout was by far the degreaser, reserve shooter/flare gun and the backscratcher. Right now pyro is either a great support (for rage) or a weak hitter. If pyro's shotgun got buffed so it would either always deal minicrits or crits, people at least have the choice between being a godlike support or a heavy hitter.
* what I mean is, pyro should get a damage buff instead of a movement buff. Or use the old degreaser instead.

I agree with most there. If you replaced the flare gun with the shotgun, that means that you lose your mobility in exchange for damage. Even if the shotgun adds minicrits or crits, I feel that the exchange is not worth it. Adding the airblast jump will allow the pyro to mantain the the mobility factor while being able to deal the damage. Lets not forget that goombas are enabled. Being able to deal around 800-950 dmg is pretty good.

Now as a godlike support. Pyro, as a support class, has always been good so I don't feel the necessity of mentioning it. The nerfs only allowed this way of playing to be more viable.

mike-kirby

Ehhh, you already have a Flare Gun jump though.
Having a flare jump is nice, but it only allows for escape mechanisms or the said combo.
Although I'd say you should choose between damage and movement instead of ammo consuming and non consuming movement (I wouldn't count the flare gun as your primary source of damage thus not counting it as ammo consuming). Also, I know the airblast jump makes you leap forward in contrary to the explosive jumps, which means you could get screwed over as you jump towards hale. However I don't know if I've seen it in a vsh server so I don't know how it would work out.

RequiemForThePhantom1

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Although I'd say you should choose between damage and movement instead of ammo consuming and non consuming movement (I wouldn't count the flare gun as your primary source of damage thus not counting it as ammo consuming). Also, I know the airblast jump makes you leap forward in contrary to the explosive jumps, which means you could get screwed over as you jump towards hale. However I don't know if I've seen it in a vsh server so I don't know how it would work out.

Saxton Hell servers are the only VSH/FF2 that allow the airblast jump (the only 2 servers that I know that have it) . I am very familiar of how it works. Their servers are very dead actually. And I keep looking at other servers, and they don't have the plugin. I see the pyro class very dead and barely make it to the leaderboard.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Their servers are very dead actually. And I keep looking at other servers, and they don't have the plugin.

SO THIS PLUGIN KILLED THEIR SERVERS?

In all fairness I used to play Saxton a ton when I played Tf2, pyro is annoying as it is, hes really just used to be annoying and not deal any real damage.

Flair jump should be good enough if you know how to use it and land well, it can get you across a huge map very very fast, and in reality theres no other reason for pyro to have anything but a flare gun. Maybe the scorch shot to get some petty damage but thats about it.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
SO THIS PLUGIN KILLED THEIR SERVERS?

In all fairness I used to play Saxton a ton when I played Tf2, pyro is annoying as it is, hes really just used to be annoying and not deal any real damage.

Flair jump should be good enough if you know how to use it and land well, it can get you across a huge map very very fast, and in reality theres no other reason for pyro to have anything but a flare gun. Maybe the scorch shot to get some petty damage but thats about it.

FF has different balance that VSH. I think pyros might not be able to flare jump on FF.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
FF has different balance that VSH. I think pyros might not be able to flare jump on FF.
I have not tried FF sense Skial got it so I cant really vouch for that one I suppose, I cant say the air blast needs a place in VSH tho.

RequiemForThePhantom1

Scarcely Lethal Noob

If you think that pyro is just annoying and does not deal any damage, then I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed for those reasons. You claim that those are his purposes thus adding the airblast jump will just make him more annoying. But hey, that's his purpose.
As for the flare gun. One of the things I really like about the airblast jump is that I can manipulate the jump while I strafe. Also I can secure a much better landing and make the goomba stomps easier. Pretty much like FAN/Winger/Atomizer Scout whose main job is to goomba stomp. To be honest, I want to implement this way of playing pyro as well. Having a combination of the usual pyro and the stomping pyro.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Pyro already hast he MegaDetonator on VSH though?

And when combined with the Backscratcher you can easily regain your health.

mike-kirby

If you think that pyro is just annoying and does not deal any damage, then I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed for those reasons. You claim that those are his purposes thus adding the airblast jump will just make him more annoying. But hey, that's his purpose.
As for the flare gun. One of the things I really like about the airblast jump is that I can manipulate the jump while I strafe. Also I can secure a much better landing and make the goomba stomps easier. Pretty much like FAN/Winger/Atomizer Scout whose main job is to goomba stomp. To be honest, I want to implement this way of playing pyro as well. Having a combination of the usual pyro and the stomping pyro.
Oh. Ew. I wouldn't like to see that. Goomba's are suppose to be difficult and that you can just abjump right down to goomba would make it just way too easy. If it was implemented in a way that the pyro would be blasted backwards then I don't have a problem with that. (Ik some of you who play vsh think that goomba's are easy, but that's pretty much about the map. If it has open stairs or a narrow hallway of course it's gonna be easy. Same with soldier and spy, they're suppose to be kinda hard but since a lot of maps offer full medkits and are open there's almost no risk)
I still stand by my point of buffing pyro's damage instead of his mobility or ability to goomba. However if the degreaser got rebuffed I'd say put the abjump in the stock.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Oh. Ew. I wouldn't like to see that. Goomba's are suppose to be difficult and that you can just abjump right down to goomba would make it just way too easy. If it was implemented in a way that the pyro would be blasted backwards then I don't have a problem with that. (Ik some of you who play vsh think that goomba's are easy, but that's pretty much about the map. If it has open stairs or a narrow hallway of course it's gonna be easy. Same with soldier and spy, they're suppose to be kinda hard but since a lot of maps offer full medkits and are open there's almost no risk)
I still stand by my point of buffing pyro's damage instead of his mobility or ability to goomba. However if the degreaser got rebuffed I'd say put the abjump in the stock.
I can see pyro needing more damage not mobility, he has plenty of that. Even with mini crits from taunts pyro cant do much. He really needs a medic and crits to do any real good.

mike-kirby

I can see pyro needing more damage not mobility, he has plenty of that. Even with mini crits from taunts pyro cant do much. He really needs a medic and crits to do any real good.
Just tried pyro. No apperently he doesn't. The flamethrower+backscratcher combo works okay. Easy 2k if the hale doesn't rage the second he gets it.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just tried pyro. No apperently he doesn't. The flamethrower+backscratcher combo works okay. Easy 2k if the hale doesn't rage the second he gets it.
Last I played pyro was never really picked/used right. I know a medic uber +cits combo is broken as fuck but I never been able to do a good pyro, mostly because hes just not good in hale.

mike-kirby

Last I played pyro was never really picked/used right. I know a medic uber +cits combo is broken as fuck but I never been able to do a good pyro, mostly because hes just not good in hale.
This is the same as scouts. Almost everyone just picks scout so that they can survive longer, and do a little damage on the side. Meanwhile there are other scouts that goomba all the time and deal some 'massive' damage. It takes some skilled players to show how it's done but most people don't look at that and just play how they want. Not a bad thing but it shouldn't show people that a certain class is terrible. I'd only consider heavy terrible as he can only be played properly in concealed spaces.