True Darkian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
This does not apply to FF2, so don't worry there.

Remember in the earlier days of VSH2 when there was a chance a round would start with 2 hales instead of 1?
Why not bring that back? This was a fresh and new experience for long time players and was actually balanced the way it was added and extremely fun, it added a new challenge.

This is how double boss rounds worked:
  • When the server has 10 players or more, there was a chance (I think it was 10%) that the round would become a Double Boss Round.
  • The player that is supposed to become the hale next round will be picked as the secondary hale, so you can't just pick your friend that is also a god at hale.
  • Both hales only had 40% of their original maximum health to make up for being a duo.
  • RED's objective was to kill both hales to win, the hale can still win if his teammate died.
We have from time to time talked about double boss rounds in the past, most regulars really enjoyed it and we talked about "Remember the good times when there was double boss rounds?"

When asking around among the regulars, they were mostly positive to readd double boss rounds.

But this time, I suggest some changes:
  • Add a command where players can opt out of double boss rounds if they dislike having a teammate during their rounds. (/nodoubleboss)
  • Set the chance of a double boss round to 15% per round.
  • Allow /setboss to work with double boss rounds, it did not work last time.
Please leave your feedback below, thank you.

Pig

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Double Boss was a rare, but unique feature which dramatically boosted my liking and tendency to join Skial VSH. The 10% chance gave an atmosphere of "who is going to get it?" etc. :)
When it was removed, it sucked pretty much, what a waste of such a good feature.
+ 1 !

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
-1 Unless I could choose my doubles partner.

Having a random person as a second Hale in exchange for -60% of my own health is almost always an instant L when they're AFK/don't know what they're doing/etc.
This was the greatest detractor of the feature before it was removed, and a lot of people were happy Doubles were removed for that reason.

I understand that adding a toggle on/off would allow people to avoid this situation entirely, but I would want to play Double Hale.
If I wait half an hour to play Hale, then get the 10% chance to play doubles, I do not want to get a partner that doesn't do anything.

It's extremely disheartening, and when we had the feature, I only had two or three "good" Double Hale rounds in several hundred hours of playtime, because I got partnered with friends/fellow regulars.
The rest were losses or close wins because my partner only got a couple kills, or was fully AFK/AFK for most of their life.

That being said, those two or three Double Hale rounds were extremely fun to play, so if I could pick and choose a partner, +1! I'd love to be able to do it again.

True Darkian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
-1 Unless I could choose my doubles partner.

Having a random person as a second Hale in exchange for -60% of my own health is almost always an instant L when they're AFK/don't know what they're doing/etc.
This was the greatest detractor of the feature before it was removed, and a lot of people were happy Doubles were removed for that reason.

I understand that adding a toggle on/off would allow people to avoid this situation entirely, but I would want to play Double Hale.
If I wait half an hour to play Hale, then get the 10% chance to play doubles, I do not want to get a partner that doesn't do anything.

It's extremely disheartening, and when we had the feature, I only had two or three "good" Double Hale rounds in several hundred hours of playtime, because I got partnered with friends/fellow regulars.
The rest were losses or close wins because my partner only got a couple kills, or was fully AFK/AFK for most of their life.

That being said, those two or three Double Hale rounds were extremely fun to play, so if I could pick and choose a partner, +1! I'd love to be able to do it again.
I was considering this, but choosing your teammate is easily abusable.
Imagine the 2 best players in the server choosing eachother everytime for hale rounds.

Could you explain?

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I was considering this, but choosing your teammate is easily abusable.
Imagine the 2 best players in the server choosing eachother everytime for hale rounds.

I don’t have to imagine, it happened a bunch when we had the feature, and yes, of course we lost, but it was fun!

Brimp

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
-1 I've seen plenty of people that hate playing with a duo (me included) because their teammate would die within the first minute and you're stuck there with 40% of what would have been your max health. It doesn't help that HHH would get a health boost further decreasing the duos health. I remember seeing a cbs with 18k health and their HHH duo having 25-26k, how was that fair? It also didn't help when it was first introduced either when your rage was shared so while your taking care of an important class like engineer that would deal major damage if left unchecked, your teammate is just glueing his E key down with an active red uber, I just rarely see people work together as duo hales unless they know each other. If it does get brought back I would like to see an option to disable it, because the amount of times where you do get someone that's decent at hale is more rare than you think.

True Darkian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
-1 I've seen plenty of people that hate playing with a duo (me included) because their teammate would die within the first minute and you're stuck there with 40% of what would have been your max health. It doesn't help that HHH would get a health boost further decreasing the duos health. I remember seeing a cbs with 18k health and their HHH duo having 25-26k, how was that fair? It also didn't help when it was first introduced either when your rage was shared so while your taking care of an important class like engineer that would deal major damage if left unchecked, your teammate is just glueing his E key down with an active red uber, I just rarely see people work together as duo hales unless they know each other. If it does get brought back I would like to see an option to disable it, because the amount of times where you do get someone that's decent at hale is more rare than you think.
Read the suggestion before reacting, I have suggested a disable option.

Could you explain?