mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I love the idea of double bosses. Playing boss with a friend or a regular as my partner with the right bosses is some of the most fun gameplay I've had on a VSH server. However, portion of the community, at least for VSH US, do not like double bosses, or specifically, how the idea has been executed. Sometimes your double is AFK, or lagging out, or someone who is extremely inexperienced to the gamemode and may not even know how to play Hale yet, or how to opt out of playing. In addition, your partner (at least, as of writing this) does not get to pick their Hale; they are assigned a random boss. Therefore, I'd like to request/suggest a few features that would give double bosses as a feature more appeal, as well as offer solutions to some some common issues/complaints that come up with doubles.

#1. Allow players to opt-out of doubles/choose their Hale round style.

Why: Some people prefer to play their boss round alone. Some may even want to play exclusively in doubles. Since VSH has been changed to allow players to pick their Hale, why not their Hale round, too?

How: This could be implemented in the !sethale menu. Since 1-7 is your hale options, and 0 is exit, option 8 could be pressed to cycle between "HALE ROUND TYPE." These would be "ANY" (the default,) "SINGLE HALE", and "DOUBLE HALE".

#2. Make the doubles partner less random. (NOTE: This is the second option in the poll, which only has the first of two ideas stated here. The second poll option is intended to read "Make the doubles partner less random" but I cannot edit it :(

Why: Some people don't want to be a doubles partner. This may lead to some very hale-sided rounds, but in the spirit of "fun over balance," I'd say I enjoy playing double boss rounds way more often with friends or regulars as my doubles partner, and I personally would opt to play doubles more often if I had the choice of doing so, and I know some regulars would like doubles more this way as well. Another way to handle this is to only pick the next person in the queue line who has doubles/either bosses format opted in.

How: I know some servers accomplish this by allowing the Hale to pick a player from RED to be their partner during the first thirty seconds of the round, after which they spawn at BLU's spawn. (This is a player menu akin to the /votemenu player browser, except it would only show people who are opted in to play boss.) Since we are not those servers, however, this is just an idea of a possible implementation; please feel free to iterate your take on how to work this idea.
For the second idea, it would work off suggestion #1's code.

#3. Make the doubles partner's hale less random.

Why/How: Being able to set your boss doesn't matter much if you don't get it. I'm not sure why this is the case for doubles, but if this isn't fixable due to the coding of VSH, making doubles round a clone (so 2 Saxtons, 2 HHHs, etc.) and/or at least removing Trolldier from the random pool (due to the nature of this boss requiring a decent amount more of technical skill than the rest of the bosses, making it unfair/unfun to give to unexperienced players) would probably both make doubles more fun for both teams.

Please let me know if I got any of this information incorrect so I can fix it. Please feel free to voice other ideas, the ultimate goal here is to make doubles bosses more fun and more viable, rather than remove the content.

Thank you for your time!

meb

Last edited:

Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
Some players, myself included, prefer to play hale solo. If player doesn't make a choice (default setting), server rolls either single or duo hale round.

The Vindicator

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Another Idea I would like to add to this thread is :

If your hale partner disconnects from the server during a double hale round, you should get the remainder of their hp added to your hp. I feel like that is fair and you will not be totally screwed if your partner bails.

Reactions: Slip, mub and g .

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
on top of that, if your partner leaves during preround, it should change to single hale round instead of finding replacement partners.

caya

Unremarkable User
#1 = +1

#2 = -1

#3 = -1

2 and 3 would just make doubles overpowered. I have a better suggestion, if your doubles partner doesn't move for the first 10 seconds of doubles, or if he leaves in the first 10 seconds, it is converted to single hale round.

I have another suggestion. If your doubles partner has gotten 0 or 1 kills, while you have gotten 10 kills, you have the option to take his health away and convert it to your own.

Xerʘ

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I have another suggestion. If your doubles partner has gotten 0 or 1 kills, while you have gotten 10 kills, you have the option to take his health away and convert it to your own.

Unfortunately I think this is just the risk you run of playing duo. Punishing players that are trying but not performing well is probably not the best idea. I do understand some do not try and it leads to the same outcome but again, just the risk of playing duos.