Turovik

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Does Skial have its own vent or mumble server? MAL and I have a mumble server to share if there's an interest for it.

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't understand using an outside client like that when the game has one built in. Am I missing something?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
its mostly for competive. i think it uses less cpu or something. low-latency and high clarity.however there are a lot of problems with it. and on some cases, you have to go through a lot of configuration to make it run where its playable

Turovik

Contributor
People playing different games or on different servers can all be in the same place.

If I'm playing <insert game> I might still want to chat with some people playing <insert different game>

Also, I do enjoy the alltalk aspect of the servers but sometimes it does mess with strategy. Having a separate client for chat would be an ideal solution.

For example MAL and I are always on mumble together even though we play on the same team in-game

Reactions: Doki

Toxik

Contributor
Unless we start "scrimming" or actually doing competitive gaming, I don't really see the point, unless someone wants to pay for the server themselves?

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
People playing different games or on different servers can all be in the same place.

If I'm playing <insert game> I might still want to chat with some people playing <insert different game>

Also, I do enjoy the alltalk aspect of the servers but sometimes it does mess with strategy. Having a separate client for chat would be an ideal solution.

For example MAL and I are always on mumble together even though we play on the same team in-game

So you're saying turn all-talk on in servers and use the outside client for chit-chat? Or am I STILL completely missing the point? If so, forgive me. No coffee this morning.

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

AllTalk can be voted off, if enough people agree. Depends on the server, though. Most people keep it on while on the pub servers, but the SRSBSNS US29 server tends to have it off.

Turovik

Contributor
Unless we start "scrimming" or actually doing competitive gaming, I don't really see the point, unless someone wants to pay for the server themselves?

The server is already paid for. My buddy MAL owns it and there's a ton of room. There's already a skial section on it for when we play tf2. Admin rights could be given to whoever for the skial section.

But ya I was just seeing if there was an interest. So far it doesn't look like it lol

Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
The server is already paid for. My buddy MAL owns it and there's a ton of room. There's already a skial section on it for when we play tf2. Admin rights could be given to whoever for the skial section.

But ya I was just seeing if there was an interest. So far it doesn't look like it lol

If Skial players get into DOTA2 then they'll probably want one. However, as nice as your offer is, I don't see why Bot wouldn't want to set-up one of his own...

Turovik

Contributor
If Skial players get into DOTA2 then they'll probably want one. However, as nice as your offer is, I don't see why Bot wouldn't want to set-up one of his own...

He (and whoever else he would want) would be given admin on the server. Anyways let me if anyone is interested, we'll make it happen.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
We do all-talk on our servers. I personally do Steam Voice Call with someone on the server if I want to chat with them without talking to the whole server.

Osprey

Contributor
He (and whoever else he would want) would be given admin on the server. Anyways let me if anyone is interested, we'll make it happen.

That's very nice offer. I assume that he would be more worried about not being in complete control (i.e. the bill not being paid for the server, his admin privileges being revoked, etc..) and having all sorts of confusion if it went down.

Doki

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
mumble is pretty fun, I used it with a few friends before. might still be a nice addition to the minecraft server or something.

Reactions: Anya and wokmage

Osprey

Contributor
I don't understand using an outside client like that when the game has one built in. Am I missing something?

We do all-talk on our servers. I personally do Steam Voice Call with someone on the server if I want to chat with them without talking to the whole server.

Mumble is much different than that. I used Mumble when I played a semi-competitive DOTA clone and it's much more than just voice chat. It's necessary for competitive matchmaking and low-latency communication. Unless Skial forms a competitive team, or a lot of members start playing DOTA2, I don't see why any of us would use it.

edit: unless it's good for Minecraft as Doki just pointed out..