Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
No hate whatsoever. I'm sorry if my post looked aggressive.

Just download a torrent with a lot of seeders, make sure you have no restrictions in your Torrent client, start download and show us what would be the speed of its download. We (well, I) just wanna see it :D
go download linux isos

Irish

Gore-Spattered Heavy
You perceive it that way. I'm not angry whatsoever.
The reason why I want to know is that I was considering on transferring my services to Verizon as well and I want to know if it's worth it. With what you are saying so far - it's a ripoff because I have bundle with Comcast right now with Digital Preferred (with HBO, Cinemax, and 120 HD channels), voice (free nation-wide calling) and Internet Blast Plus (with almost 6MB/sec download speed) for $95/month whereas you have almost the same package (I think that voice and TV packages are worse though) for $125.

The only thing I'm trying to find out if it's worth to change my provider to Verizon... If you don't wanna help with that - sorry for bothering you.

I live in Philly know as Comcast Country. I grew up with and grew to hate their monopoly on all things cable in this area. Suburban Cable, no more. Pop Vision, no more. RNC can't get into the city limits because of deals. I was a Direct TV subscriber for years because I didn't want to do Comcast Cable. When FIOS finally cam just 2-3 years ago I was teh first one in my area on it. I was on Verizon DSL for about 8 years before that. In a city like Philly or even the suburbs your actual speed on a coax cable gets hammered if you the last house on the block. Everyone feeds off the same pipe. What I liked about DSL and FIOS very little degradation during peak hours.

As far as the cash......Seems reasonable for me. There are no teaser rates because I have been a customer. The teaser deal with free HD DVR's for 18 months is what I wanted because I'm forced to rent those currently. If I was to become a customer a first time I think the promotions they have now are pretty fair.

I did torrent that soundtrack. I was up to 6.8 mb/s per uTorrent. The DL was completed in about a minute once it got rocking. Unsure how that ties into my speed test results but I'm sure you will let me know. If you have a larger seeded video let me know. I'd like something that should take 10-15 minutes to DL.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I did torrent that soundtrack. I was up to 6.8 mb/s per uTorrent. The DL was completed in about a minute once it got rocking. Unsure how that ties into my speed test results but I'm sure you will let me know. If you have a larger seeded video let me know. I'd like something that should take 10-15 minutes to DL.

uTorrent measures in mB/s, 6.8mB/s = 54.4mb/s

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
uTorrent measures in mB/s, 6.8mB/s = 54.4mb/s
^^^^ that's why I don't trust shitty speed tests.
Primarily because of so-called "boost" technology used by ISP's nowadays when it boosts the download speed up to the top during the first 5 minutes of download and then it drops dramatically.
Basically, when you run speed test - you are testing your boost, not the actual bandwidth.

Irish: thank you for your response. I think I'll stick with Comcast for now.

Irish

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Yeah but isn't my shitty 54.4 still better than most? I still struggle with the logic. That torrent you gave me was done in less than 2 minutes. I never got to 5 minutes. It was finishing as all my seeding was actually just starting to take effect. I need you to find me a HD movie that is 2 hours long with serious feeders.

Again, I never came close to a 5 minute download. And if we are still doing apples to apples are you saying that my 107 is no different than the guy posting a 25?

Again, my feeling is regardless of the number being shown on the speedtest is it not still indicative of players with faster speeds?

I'd like to see your Comcast results and hear about your torrent speeds. And I know first hand your upload will be a joke. Probably 5mb tops. Comcast has always strapped their upload speeds.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah but isn't my shitty 54.4 still better than most? I still struggle with the logic.
I've never said your 54.4 was "shitty".
Anyhow, it's not about whether your FiOS is good or bad. Obviously this speed is really decent. For me the question is about practicability of paying higher bills for almost the same speeds.
I'd like to see your Comcast results and hear about your torrent speeds. And I know first hand your upload will be a joke. Probably 5mb tops. Comcast has always strapped their upload speeds.
I posted them earlier on this forum. My download speed approaches 6MB/s (~48Mb/s) with 50Mb/s promised by Comcast. Indeed, Comcast's upload speed is pathetic when it comes to seeding through torrents (~400KB/s), but I care less about ergress traffic. That's being said, it's not a criteria for me.

What I wanted to do is to compare the speeds using data from the REAL user, not from some fake-ass speed tests. I do appreciate you sharing the results with me - it was enough for me to decide to stay with Comcast for now.

PS. Probably I'm getting such a good price from Comcast since I have been their customer for 5 years - I dunno.

EDIT: lol..... "Fios is currently not available for the state of Michigan. However, this state is within Verizon's territory which means Verizon has plans on making FIOS available at a later date. Please check back frequently for updates. The current states where FiOS is available are - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington. In the meantime, there are many other internet service providers to choose from."

Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor

2080412063.png

vApJz.jpg

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
Supereed and Mewkin are making me feel better about my FIOS.

Also, I did a Firmware Update on my Router last night, it was 2 or 3 versions behind, and I haven't lost connection to Steam or a TF2 server ever since.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Supereed and Mewkin are making me feel better about my FIOS.

Also, I did a Firmware Update on my Router last night, it was 2 or 3 versions behind, and I have lost connection to Steam or a TF2 server ever since.
Don't forget about mine!

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
Just a reminder, there's a difference in speed from what your web browser and torrents speed tells you and what Speedtest is telling you.

Speedtest and you ISP give you a speed in Mb/s which is megabits per second. Your torrent speed is in MB/s which is megabytes per second. It's a big difference. So your 15Mb/s connection will only net you about a 1.875MB/s download speed.
2085686968.png

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just a reminder, there's a difference in speed from what your web browser and torrents speed tells you and what Speedtest is telling you.

Speedtest and you ISP give you a speed in Mb/s which is megabits per second. Your torrent speed is in MB/s which is megabytes per second. It's a big difference. So your 15Mb/s connection will only net you about a 1.875MB/s download speed.
2085686968.png
Yeah. Just remember, 8 bits in a byte. 15 / 8 = 1.875. lolmath

EDIT: Also, work internet:

2085673010.png