Upgraded my FIOS today.....

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Irish, Jul 21, 2012.

1. ViperStriker

ViperStriker Banned Contributor

I have a C on my Speed Test, next person I see complain about getting a B is officially mentally challenged.

2. Perseus Dash Jackson

Perseus Dash Jackson Legendary Skial King

Steam:

[​IMG]

Bitch more, ye arses, bitch more.

3. Nothing_Much

Nothing_Much Banned Contributor

Steam:

[​IMG]

wifi yo

4. mohawkg2

mohawkg2 Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

o.O

5. Perseus Dash Jackson

Steam:

What does the Rock have to do with terrible net?

6. mohawkg2

Steam:

:challenge:

7. mohawkg2

Steam:

[​IMG]
    My other cousin's internet also sucks

8. PsychoRealm

PsychoRealm Australian Skial God Contributor

Steam:

Don't show us your Speedtest result. Put a torrent on download and show us the actual download speed.

PS. I do not trust all this shitty speed tests. I have Comcast. When I had 100Mb down last year speakeasy.net was showing 96Mb down and Comcast's speed test was showing 180Mb down (yeah, right). The actual download speed was 10MB/sec.

I also had a friend with fancy FiOS who's actual download speed was 4MB/sec...

9. Perseus Dash Jackson

Steam:

> put a torrent on and show us the ACTUAL download speed

56 kb/s is my average.

10. Irish

Irish Wicked Nasty Engineer

Steam:

Why the hate? If you want to keep eveything apples to apples everyone uses the same test. Find me a site that has upload speed of 100mb and I will try and max that from them with my DL. Most sites throttle upload to keep the file sharing somewhat contained. Most sites host a number of shared files making the atual upload shared. Have you ever checked your torrent settings? You can limit the number of uploads at one time and even the speed you give it. Most sites use those settings keeping the downloads most can realize to a much smaller number. Why the high DL speeds now? All about that family of 4 sharing the internet. Not just dads PC anymore. Mom and sister have ipads and little brother is playing online with the PS3 and ripping a HD movie on his laptop. That DL is to keep the networked home actually going. Not to pull down 1 file..........

11. PsychoRealm

Steam:

No hate whatsoever. I'm sorry if my post looked aggressive.

Just download a torrent with a lot of seeders, make sure you have no restrictions in your Torrent client, start download and show us what would be the speed of its download. We (well, I) just wanna see it :D

12. joemaster725

joemaster725 Server-Clearing Cynic Contributor

Steam:

[​IMG]

:(
    this is why i cant wait to get back onto my college campus!

13. Irish

Steam:

Not sure if I'm going to go fishing for heavily seeded torrents. I did a fresh install on a lappy last night and on wifi I was able to grab firefox in 2 seconds.

14. Ruelel

Ruelel Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

you can't get better net? :c

15. PsychoRealm

Steam:

16MB is the size of FireFox installer. Assuming you're correct with your "2 seconds" estimation that leaves us with 8MB/sec which comes to ~64Mb/sec of down speed.

64Mb/sec of real download speed comparing to 107Mb/sec of speed indicated on speed test. Quite a difference, huh?

This might be not precise though since I would assume that due to small file's size the speed of download didn't manage to boost up to its max potential. That's why I asked you to try t download a bigger file with a lot of seeders - so we could see a real picture.

Side question - what is your FiOS plan and what is your monthly charge for this plan?

EDIT: if you don't wanna waste your time on fishing for a torrent with a lot of seeders you can use this one: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7446299/The_Dark_Knight_Rises_(Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack). It has 1300 seeders.

16. Dono Spacey

Dono Spacey Rage-Inducing Forum Troll

Steam:

normally get 3-4mb/s (with actual downloads) So eh. this thing says i should get 20, as if.

17. Irish

Steam:

Your just an angry dude. Who gives a fuk my actual if we are all using the same test? Find me a good seed not named pirate.............I'm on their triple play so the internet is bundled. $124.99/month for my fios tv, digital voice & 75/35 internet.

18. joemaster725

joemaster725 Server-Clearing Cynic Contributor

Steam:

parents dont want to pay more than 40 a month for it... this is the cheapest we can get (excluting pots)

19. Ruelel

Ruelel Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

if you don't want to pirate then here
    http://kat.ph/sick-of-sarah-2205-bittorrent-edition-t5187854.html

20. PsychoRealm

Steam:

You perceive it that way. I'm not angry whatsoever.
    The reason why I want to know is that I was considering on transferring my services to Verizon as well and I want to know if it's worth it. With what you are saying so far - it's a ripoff because I have bundle with Comcast right now with Digital Preferred (with HBO, Cinemax, and 120 HD channels), voice (free nation-wide calling) and Internet Blast Plus (with almost 6MB/sec download speed) for $95/month whereas you have almost the same package (I think that voice and TV packages are worse though) for $125.

The only thing I'm trying to find out if it's worth to change my provider to Verizon... If you don't wanna help with that - sorry for bothering you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice