Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
You know, now that SteamOS is going to be based of Linux or something of the sort, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think very highly of Linux now. With my experiences with Ubuntu, I discovered that Ubuntu was like, the ultimate working OS and gaming OS and programming OS and everything.
I feel like Microsoft, and by extension, Windows, no longer wants us gamers, they want all their money to come from Xbox, so Linux is in first place for me now.
Mac can still suck a dick
Buying a Mac is like buying an Alienware, you wouldn't do it.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
You know, now that SteamOS is going to be based of Linux or something of the sort, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think very highly of Linux now. With my experiences with Ubuntu, I discovered that Ubuntu was like, the ultimate working OS and gaming OS and programming OS and everything.
I feel like Microsoft, and by extension, Windows, no longer wants us gamers, they want all their money to come from Xbox, so Linux is in first place for me now.
Mac can still suck a dick
lol, ubuntu.

Morbuzka

Crunchbang master race

Oh wow, looks sexy. I like the look of the system stats on the side.
I was only using ubuntu as my reference because I use a chromebook(boo), and that's the only linux distro I know how to install on here.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Oh wow, looks sexy. I like the look of the system stats on the side.
I was only using ubuntu as my reference because I use a chromebook(boo), and that's the only linux distro I know how to install on here.
Crunchbang shouldn't be too hard to install on it. Considering the limited resources of the chromebook, that's what I would opt for.

Morbuzka

Crunchbang shouldn't be too hard to install on it. Considering the limited resources of the chromebook, that's what I would opt for.

Ah, well. I'd love to, be seeing as the chromebooks distributed by my school use the ARM processors, I won't be getting anywhere with this thing. Plus, I enjoy the updates google releases, sometimes. But oh boy, I'd love a computer with an x86 processor, I'd have fun with crunchbang

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
Of course they want all their money to come from CrapBox. Windows is an open development platform, which means they don't make money every time you buy a game for Windows. With Windows 9 they might try to change that, though. I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to install software on Windows 9 is to buy it from the Windows app store.

No. Buying a Mac is like buying a new car where you have to sign a special agreement with the dealer.
The agreement would be something like this:
1) You may only operate the car in places that have been OKed by the dealer.
2) You may only make repairs, or modifications that have been OKed by the dealer.
3) You may only take on passengers or cargo that has been OKed by the dealer.
4) Should you fail to comply with any part of the agreement, the dealer reserves the right to remotely lock you out of your car.

You wouldn't buy a car like this. Why would you buy a computer like this?

Crunchbang is based on Debian. You could install Debian on that ARM chromebook and then build the Crunchbang packages from source. I bet most would be arch=all with few binary x86 packages that would need to be built from source.

Morbuzka

Of course they want all their money to come from CrapBox. Windows is an open development platform, which means they don't make money every time you buy a game for Windows. With Windows 9 they might try to change that, though. I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to install software on Windows 9 is to buy it from the Windows app store.

No. Buying a Mac is like buying a new car where you have to sign a special agreement with the dealer.
The agreement would be something like this:
1) You may only operate the car in places that have been OKed by the dealer.
2) You may only make repairs, or modifications that have been OKed by the dealer.
3) You may only take on passengers or cargo that has been OKed by the dealer.
4) Should you fail to comply with any part of the agreement, the dealer reserves the right to remotely lock you out of your car.

You wouldn't buy a car like this. Why would you buy a computer like this?

Crunchbang is based on Debian. You could install Debian on that ARM chromebook and then build the Crunchbang packages from source. I bet most would be arch=all with few binary x86 packages that would need to be built from source.

Yeah, but the same thing that I had with ubuntu, playonlinux, and by extension, wine, is not made for Arm, it just won't work.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
But you could just run Wine inside a x86 chroot using qemu, and use the mesa software OpenGL renderer, right?..... right?.....
I'd bet you get at least a good.... maybe.... 1 frame per every.... oh.... 10 minutes or so and..... minimal..... amout of bugs. After all, the ARM CPU is very fast at translating x86 instructions, especially those that involve a lot of floating point calculations..... right?....

In all seriousness, though, I think I'm actually going to attempt this some day, just as a proof of concept.
It'll end up being another one of those hellish IT projects that I give myself where I hardly sleep for a couple of days.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
lol, ubuntu.

:(

Crunchbang is alright, it's just based on Debian which is somewhat of a problem if you want bleeding-edge stuff as Ubuntu normally takes in.

This just in, Jesse is frozen now, so you can't update Debian to more recent kernels atm.

Also, the more I keep thinking of MS, the more hatred grows from them when I think about how much worse they are than Apple. Seriously, when you think about it, they force shit onto you like Silverlight and IE6, which may be changing now, since OSS stuff is now considered "hip". Special thanks to Apple for pushing open standards.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
Has anyone ever used (played with it for more than just a few minutes) any operating systems other than the ones listed in the title?
I've used FreeBSD. OpenBSD, Solaris/OpenSolaris, Minix, DOS, Haiku, ReactOS, Android, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, Apple ProDOS, Apple System 7 through OS 9, OS X, and there might be some others I can't recall at the moment.

I'm looking forward to Haiku, Minix, and ReactOS being developed further. I would love to run Minix on my server if it had better hardware support and more choices for filesystems. Haiku looks like it could make a great general purpose desktop OS. And for ReactOS, who wouldn't love to have a open source Windows compatible OS?

I really like Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. GNU on top of the FreeBSD kernel is great. I actually prefer a number of things about the FreeBSD kernel over Linux. If the Nvidia proprietary driver was compatible with it, and the Linux emulation emulated a newer Linux kernel, I might not even run Linux. I once ran TF2 under Wine in FreeBSD. It ran quite well.

-Someone that knows his shit-

Novice question:

I really like Xubuntu (13.10 is amazingly stable, except for the silly sound applet bug), but I'm getting severe screen tearing that I don't experience on other distros like CrunchBang and Lubuntu. Do you have any clue why Xubuntu is the one that does this and is there a fix for it?

I've heard a bit about the compositing Xubuntu is using, and that that it may be the one to blame for screen tearing. Could it simply be solved by installing an OpenGL compositor like Compiz or compton?

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Novice question:

I really like Xubuntu (13.10 is amazingly stable, except for the silly sound applet bug), but I'm getting severe screen tearing that I don't experience on other distros like CrunchBang and Lubuntu. Do you have any clue why Xubuntu is the one that does this and is there a fix for it?

I've heard a bit about the compositing Xubuntu is using, and that that it may be the one to blame for screen tearing. Could it simply be solved by installing an OpenGL compositor like Compiz or compton?

It depends on which driver you have installed and graphics card you may have. If you're running on an Nvidia card, you'd have to install the additional "proprietary" drivers. If you're using an AMD card, then you can install the "proprietary" drivers as well from the same dialog window.

Xubuntu's XFCE interface has its own compositor that you can enable or disable in the Settings Manager>Window Manager Tweaks>Compositor.

Compiz is not necessarily the best Window manager, as it's not even stable and may be EOL'd once Ubuntu drops it.

Regarding compton, I've never used it before (I don't have any problems with my current PC but I'll try it out), but it should help out a bit: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468