PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Fellas,

As title implies here you can release all your hatred towards a platform you hate providing your arguments or rants. Release your anger (don't forget about adding some arguments or facts as to why you are being so angry) in any manner you want.

Please note that the Rules of Technology forums have been updated with paragraph #2. That's being said, any useless or meaningless comments outside of this thread that contain your "Linux vs Mac vs Windows" hatred in threads where members ask for an actual help will be moderated heavily and severely.

Enjoy.

wezlyyy

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I'm angry cause we all cant just love each comp for who they are.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Let me start.

Why I don't like MAC:
  1. Extremely overpriced. It's like buying Audi (or Mercedes) when you can buy Volkswagen with the same fucking features for 20% cheaper. You are basically paying for the brand.
  2. It's so "fancy" to have a Mac that it's becoming disgusting.
  3. Mac is even more vulnerable to different exploits and threats than MS.
  4. Another proprietary OS.
Why I'm not a *nix enthusiast (residential use):
  1. Lack of drivers (still);
  2. Complexity of administration/setup;
  3. Poor gaming support (comes from #1);
  4. I'm to impatient to get completely used to the command line (and I'm an old school guy who used to manage FreeBSD servers and who still thinks that X Window is the major vulnerability);
  5. Today, when I was researching on how to set up specific ICA filters on Citrix Netscaler I ended up reading a comprehensive white paper about chmod.

SarcasticWisdom

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Let me start.

Why I don't like MAC:
  1. Extremely overpriced. It's like buying Audi (or Mercedes) when you can buy Volkswagen with the same fucking features for 20% cheaper. You are basically paying for the brand.
  3. Mac is even more vulnerable to different exploits and threads than MS.

:(

Perseus Dash Jackson

Epic Skial Regular
holy fuck Mac is like such a piece of shit my aunt has one she bought, it cost more than MY desktop computer with i7 and 8 GB ram(even if you add the cost of the graphics card I haven't bought yet) and it has TWO GB RAM and I didn't bother finding out the processor, because she put MCAFEE OF ALL THINGS ON IT(average mindset of a Mac user.)

Also Linux can be cool if you're a coder but it's really for a dual booter.

Also the problem with Windows is it doesn't give as much support as I'd like for partitions. But eh.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
it cost more than MY desktop computer with i7 and 8 GB ram(even if you add the cost of the graphics card I haven't bought yet) and it has TWO GB RAM and I didn't bother finding out the processor, because she put MCAFEE OF ALL THINGS ON IT(average mindset of a Mac user.)
Exactly my point.
Also Linux can be cool if you're a coder but it's really for a dual booter.
I'd respectfully disagree, It's not about coding (Backtrack distro is a perfect example), neither it's about dual booting. I had OpenWall distro on old ass desktop which was acting as my home network's firewall.
Also the problem with Windows is it doesn't give as much support as I'd like for partitions. But eh.
Please elaborate. Did you expect hot swap coming with Win7?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Eh, come to think of it it's more about games in general not liking partitions that much.
  1. What do partitions have to do with gaming? I'm sorry, but I really fail to understand.
  2. Do not partition your hard drive upon initial setup. Just keep it as one single partition.
There's also Steam- it's a pain in the ass to move a game from one drive to another.
No, it's not. It's a matter of 10 minutes. http://www.skial.com/threads/installing-steam-and-its-games-on-second-hard-drive.21917/

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Let me start.

Why I don't like MAC:

4. I'm to impatient to get completely used to the command line (and I'm an old school guy who used to manage FreeBSD servers and who still thinks that X Window is the major vulnerability);
  5. Today, when I was researching on how to set up specific ICA filters on Citrix Netscaler I ended up reading a comprehensive white paper about chmod.

MAC:

1. Same reason you buy those crazy delta faucets over a regular one, style.
2. Fancy price
3. More vulnerable because of its userbase not being vigilant, not because of the software being inherently less secure
4. Macs came before Windows. Lisa was started in 78 and windows started in 81. So really you should be calling Windows "Another proprietary OS"

Linux:

1. Besides some GFX cards, I haven't had any trouble with drivers in the past 2 years
2. Ubuntu works right out of the box for internet, basic stuff. Installation can be done point and click through the ubuntu software store
3. Yeah, but that's why I have a windows machine. I wouldn't run games on the same platfom I run a web server on. Two different usecases.
4. There isn't much you really need the cmd line for if you're doing a basic setup. That being said, I <3 terminals
5. All Citrix boxes where I work are either Windows Server 2003 or 2008 R2. Seems to run better on windows than linux. I still don't get chmod fully

That being said, I mainly use a Windows desktop that I built myself. My work laptop is a crap HP that blue screen constantly, but I fault the Pointsec encryption and shitty "enterprise" apps I need to have installed. I've been meaning to pickup a MBA since they launched new ones, but I honestly haven't had the need to travel much so I haven't really wanted to drop money on a new laptop.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
MAC: 1. Same reason you buy those crazy delta faucets over a regular one, style.
I don't buy stuff because of its "fancyness". I buy it based on its practicality.
MAC:3. More vulnerable because of its userbase not being vigilant, not because of the software being inherently less secure
I'd dare to disagree. More vulnerable because of Apple's strong believe of invulnerability maintained through years.
MAC:4. Macs came before Windows. Lisa was started in 78 and windows started in 81. So really you should be calling Windows "Another proprietary OS"
OS/2, huh? Wording must have been wrong on my side. It was not my intent to put OS/2 or MS on a first place. For me all proprietary OS's are just "another" ones.
Linux:1. Besides some GFX cards, I haven't had any trouble with drivers in the past 2 years
Just recently faced Backtrack struggling with GTX460 drivers. Not denying though that my hands might be growing out of my ass.
Linux:2. Ubuntu works right out of the box for internet, basic stuff. Installation can be done point and click through the ubuntu software store
Ubuntu. Another proprietary OS in foreseen future. And, again... GUI...
Linux:3. Yeah, but that's why I have a windows machine. I wouldn't run games on the same platfom I run a web server on. Two different usecases.
I wouldn't run a Web server (IIS) on a Windows machine in the first place.
Linux:4. There isn't much you really need the cmd line for if you're doing a basic setup. That being said, I <3 terminals
I've read this line multiple times and I'm still not getting it. Overdose must be playing its part.
Linux:5. All Citrix boxes where I work are either Windows Server 2003 or 2008 R2. Seems to run better on windows than linux. I still don't get chmod fully
XenApp/XenDesktop - yes. But appliances (which are the major part of Citrix Infrastructure) such as Netscaler, Access Gateway, Provisioning Server, or Merchandising Server are running on Linux platform. Basically, they run on proprietary Linux distro's (just like ESXi from VMWare)

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't buy stuff because of its "fancyness". I buy it based on its practicality.

I'd dare to disagree. More vulnerable because of Apple's strong believe of invulnerability maintained through years.

OS/2, huh? Wording must have been wrong on my side. It was not my intent to put OS/2 or MS on a first place. For me all proprietary OS's are just "another" ones.

Just recently faced Backtrack struggling with GTX460 drivers. Not denying though that my hands might be growing out of my ass.

Ubuntu. Another proprietary OS in foreseen future. And, again... GUI...

I wouldn't run a Web server (IIS) on a Windows machine in the first place.

I've read this line multiple times and I'm still not getting it. Overdose must be playing its part.

XenApp/XenDesktop - yes. But appliances (which are the major part of Citrix Infrastructure) like Netscaler, Access Gateway, Provisioning Server, or Merchandising Server are running on Linux platform.
We have access gateways and the like running windows too I believe.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor

ONLY AMIGA

Seriously though, I used OSX 10.6 for 4 or 5 months when I used a hackintosh as my main computer and it was fine. There's not much there to be mad at. It's pretty and all and the interface is good and fairly simple to use. Windows 8 is the future though. The ease of use of Metro is great for non-computer people and the desktop is still there for us people who like to get actual work done. It's still fun to switch over to a game in Metro when you're bored though. Plus Metro is beautiful and I want to lick the screen when I see it.

Not my screen though. That shit's disgusting.

DeathSod

Legendary Skial King
My school recently bought us mac laptops, 1300 dollars, screen breaks if you toss a pen at it,battery lasts seven hours, AND THATS IF THE LIGHT SETTING IS LOWEST, hipsters use them.

DAT CHRISTMAS SWAG

Uncharitable Spy
Let me start.

Why I don't like MAC:

Plus, I have a mac, my dad bought it -_- no idea why. I tried to cable it the other day, that worked out fantastic seeing as it lacks a cable input.

ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I was talking with Belokk one night about how overly expensive those fucking iMacs are, which my entire school district conveniently bought at some point.
Went to Newegg, put together a rig with all the parts, plus monitor/case/keyboard/mouse all that shit. Only $600.
People are paying an extra fucking $600 for a shiny case, an OS, and bragging rights.
Fuck Apple.

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
PCs are good for gaming and web surfing
Macs are good for people who do business/travel
And Linux/others are good for developers.