Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
So I figured I might run Minecraft after a hiatus that lasted several months and hop into a server I once reg'd a lot. Problem is, for some reason or another, I can't find my graphics card. (Not exactly that I can't find it, but it doesn't appear in dxdiag, or in Device Manager)

This seemed to have appeared when I last reformatted the computer, although before that the card was there. Not sure if I'm making sense, this whole thing sounds incredibly silly.

Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz (2 CPUs)
1020MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c

When I go into the Display tab in dxdiag, nothing appears. The place where the video card name should be is just blank. As for Device Manager, video cards are usually under Display Adapters. Display Adapters isn't even there.

EDIT: It's fixed, I'm somehow retarded and thought it was an Intel HD Graphics, when it was really an ATI Radeon RV620.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
You're absolutely sure you have a dedicated GPU? It would fall under Display Adapters, it should at least.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If your running windows, click start, and search for system information. see if it shows up in that under components / display

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Teamviewer session is needed. Without it it will be quite hard to help.

Yeah, I could prob set that up. Although that would be later, and if possible an alternative.

You're absolutely sure you have a dedicated GPU? It would fall under Display Adapters, it should at least.

Not actually sure. All I know is that it's integrated and that it's Intel HD Graphics. Back before I reformatted dxdiag told me that that was the name (upon Googling it gives me things like Intel HD Graphics 3k/4k/etc)

If your running windows, click start, and search for system information. see if it shows up in that under components / display

Nope. Completely blank.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
Not actually sure. All I know is that it's integrated and that it's Intel HD Graphics. Back before I reformatted dxdiag told me that that was the name (upon Googling it gives me things like Intel HD Graphics 3k/4k/etc)

Integrated Intel HD Graphics aren't dedicated graphics, dedicated graphics are an actual card on your motherboard.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
As far as I know integrated graphics should be listed under Components in Device Manager.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Integrated Intel HD Graphics aren't dedicated graphics, dedicated graphics are an actual card on your motherboard.

Yeah I know. Remade the OP before and accidentally deleted it all. When I rewrote, forgot to mention. Sorry bout that, could have sworn it was mentioned in OP.

Do you have a drivers disk that came with the pc?

Nope. :(

The computer was bought a very long time ago,

As far as I know integrated graphics should be listed under Components in Device Manager.

I'll be sure to check that out. But the main problem will prob still persist. Like, how come dxdiag is not recognizing it?

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'll be sure to check that out. But the main problem will prob still persist. Like, how come dxdiag is not recognizing it?

Shot in the dark here, but I think that when you reinstalled, you wiped the drivers, and windows cannot identify the device because it is outdated and therefore hasn't automaticaly installed drivers for it, so windows doesnt think it exists.
Try installing drivers from here.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Updating your vidya card drivers could be worth a shot

vidya?

Shot in the dark here, but I think that when you reinstalled, you wiped the drivers, and windows cannot identify the device because it is outdated and therefore hasn't automaticaly installed drivers for it, so windows doesnt think it exists.

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot. Not sure if it's the same but when I used the driver detector thing from intel, nothing popped up. Also tried installing the latest Intel HD Graphics driver and didn't work. Will be sure to try this though.

Thanks!

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Alrighty, I'll give it a shot. Not sure if it's the same but when I used the driver detector thing from intel, nothing popped up. Also tried installing the latest Intel HD Graphics driver and didn't work. Will be sure to try this though.

Thanks!
Someone with a greater pc knowledge might be able to answer this: can you find hardware specs by going through your bios?
Aside from this I can't think of anything else to suggest, might just be that the graphics card is dead :S

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Updating your vidya card drivers could be worth a shot

Tried. Every installer tells me that I dont have minimum system requirements and such.

Nothing :<

Someone with a greater pc knowledge might be able to answer this: can you find hardware specs by going through your bios?
Aside from this I can't think of anything else to suggest, might just be that the graphics card is dead :S

Is it even possible for an integrated graphics card to die?

Nope. Nothing. Only thing I haven't seen in a while is this question mark icon, labeled Video Controller under Other devices.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Dude, you don't have a Graphics chip, you have an Intel GMA chipset, (Graphics Media Accelerator), from 2006-2009, before the Core i-series of CPUs came about, Intel had by far, the WORST graphics chipsets out there. I'm assuming you're on a Laptop, that's even worse. Were you able to play games on your PC before?