Crust

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
For some time now, you have been able to equip fake unusual effects on the trade servers.

While this can help people by allowing them to test unusual loadouts, this can be used to scam people on the server, even with the Level 69 and White Text applied to the fake unusuals. Aside from scamming, the fake unusual effects can also lag the game and server a bit more by loading in more particles than what would normally be on the server. I also see people saying every other day "I was gonna say I like your hat but I realized it was fake" and other similar things.

I feel as if the fake unusual effects should be disabled entirely on trade servers specifically. As for the other servers, I feel like it wouldn't matter as much, as people wouldn't be trading on those servers anyways, and I'm assuming there aren't too many people with unusual hats flowing into those servers, unlike the trade servers.

Crust

Don't you literally pay $50 to access that feature, as far as I'm aware scamming gets you banned and your vip removed.

No you don't. Anyone on the server can access the fake unusual effects using !items, its not restricted to donators.
And yes while scamming gets you banned on the server, wouldn't it be better to remove this to prevent anything like that from happening in the first place?

Aside from this, if Skial intends on keeping the 60 player slot on the trade servers, then this will only hinder the server with the particle limit, and in my opinion at least, fake unusuals dont belong on a trade server.

Sore

No you don't. Anyone on the server can access the fake unusual effects using !items, its not restricted to donators.
And yes while scamming gets you banned on the server, wouldn't it be better to remove this to prevent anything like that from happening in the first place?

Aside from this, if Skial intends on keeping the 60 player slot on the trade servers, then this will only hinder the server with the particle limit, and in my opinion at least, fake unusuals dont belong on a trade server.
But what if they want wear fake unusual and see how it looks like and how it fits?

Reactions: derpbrigade

Crust

But what if they want wear fake unusual and see how it looks like and how it fits?

This is the only reason I can see for people wanting to keep this on the trade servers. As good as it is, it only works for 1 unusual effect. Even so, as I said, if Skial intends on keeping 60 player slots on the trade servers, this could interfere with the particle limit and could lead to more frequent crashes.

EDIT: Loadout.tf also exists for checking out unusual effect combos. While it isn't 1:1 with how it looks in-game, it gives you a good idea.

BadmanoftheBrine

Banned
Contributor
Yeah, loadout.tf exists. If we could regulate the !items add-on to just add regular weapons and hats, that'd be great. I can't imagine how many bugs that'd squash too. Constantly seeing floating fucking unusual effects and it just looks dogshit.

Honestly, half the ideas you're pumping out would benefit the server, and I'm fairly certain they're just rotting on the forums, yet to be assessed.

+20

Italian Doctor

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
iirc they tried this before (a tf2ber joined and tried to trade (no one uses it to trade)) so they said nuh uh this is making people leave then readded it