Reporter

Administrator
To the Valve apologists telling us to use community servers
First and foremost, community servers have not been "revived". I don't see server communities rushing to add new servers to their boxes in light of this new update- the state of community servers looks about the same as it did a month ago. Valve putting Casual/Competitive/MvM at the top of the list certainly did not help either. The server browser button was renamed to "Community Servers". That's all they did. Let's just put that myth to bed right now.

Since the removal of the Quickplay button, you're now encouraged to use the server browser instead, which has devolved into a competition for whoever can have the most ALL CAPS name full of spaces or the most servers to drown out others. Quickplay had none of these problems and before 2014 did a pretty good job at giving every community server a fair shot based on a scoring system, not just making a player pick from a list. Before 2014 many communities benefited from it, and it's easy to see why: The server browser is an unfriendly outdated mess with origins from the late 90s. Quickplay was two clicks and boom, you're there playing the pubs you like, or at least close to that. There was no sifting through the mess of trade servers and other garbage (tagging is tedious and unreliable, so no that's not a valid option).

"If there's no pubs you like, just make some" - This and other statements like it are the most ignorant, easier said than done thing I've ever heard. Servers cost money, and without bullshit ads and donator perks you are looking at an even higher cost. If you don't already have an established community like Skial, this is an even harder task to accomplish. Even if you were Skial/FirePowered/etc, I doubt you can afford server farms all over the world on the scale that Valve had. Valve removed (not replaced) something unique from the game, and saying community servers can just fill that gap is simply false, it will never happen, period.

I know Quickplay probably won't be making a return. I know there is Casual mode, and I know Valve is trying to improve it. However, it is not what we had before by any means. Community servers cannot simply replace Valve servers; that's not how it works. People need to face the fact that this update has done nothing but divide the community and hurt player choice overall.

Author: SnowshoeIceboot

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/4t7fcm/to_the_valve_apologists_telling_us_to_use/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comment...pologists_telling_us_to_use/?ref=search_posts