Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Since this subforum has spawned with art as a key aspect, I think it'd be a good idea to tell individuals of some nifty drawing applications, ones that might spawn more threads here, here's a list
  • Source Filmmaker - a 3D modeling software from Valve, although we have a subforum for this, it is just general source filmmaker content, which could mean movies, those of which are also creative but, well, hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.
  • Sketchtoy - A fun little online drawing tool for quick 2D sketches, you can create images then share the process of creation with your friends.
  • Sketchpad - A far more advanced and professional drawing tool for 2D sketches than the one above, with more tools and more expansions.
  • DeviantArt - This isn't necessarily a drawing application, more a gallery for drawings, like imgur only not as weird, I think.
  • DeviantArt Muro - This is the DeviantArt drawing tool if you wish to see what tools the DeviantArt community uses
  • Photoshop - This is one of the best editing tools users can obtain to enhance their images to the fullest
  • Picmonkey - This is the lazy way out to photoshop but it isn't bad. It has several pre-made edits to enhance your images, just less customization capabilities, after all, your mind knows what you want to draw
  • Gimp - A tool used to edit that is 100% free unlike the 2 listed above, it takes some getting used too but image capabilities are unlimited with GIMP.
If there's any more tools, post them below and I'll add them to the OP, Have fun drawing!

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If you're fine with dishing out the extra dosh Manga Studio 5 is a really good and easy application for the draws.

Oh and some others

Medibang Paint Pro - Free
Krita - Free

I actually use all three for different types of drawings because they have different brushes that I'm too lazy to make in the other programs.

Reactions: Sargent¥

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Here's a master post for some shit I've discovered over the years.

Art Websites
  • DeviantART - Your classic casual place to post art and interact with your art homeboys. This is a pretty decent place to dump your artwork, especially fanart and the like. Notorious for drawing in all sorts of cancer, but there are a lot of helpful resources created for free by other artists. It's worth checking out, at least. My favorite one to use out of all the ones listed.
  • Tumblr - I do enjoy Tumblr, but it's not great for feedback. It's good for exposure, but don't be surprised if some fucker reposts your art without crediting you.
  • FurAffinity - It's like DeviantART except for furries. I rarely bothered with this website, but I noticed people seem to get a fuckton more commissions than they ever would with DeviantART.
  • Weasyl - It's like the rebel bro of FurAffinity and something I actually like to use. It has a lot more features than DeviantART, but you're also stuck with a lot of weird ass furry shit.
Software
  • Photoshop - A lot of people like to use this, and they do for a reason. It's easy to learn and use and has a lot of customization. I personally have the ghetto version - Photoshop Elements 11. Elements is basically the same thing except it's actually affordable and missing a few of the fancier functions. It's a great tool, but if you get any of the Elements versions be prepared to not mind very many custom brushes out there that'll work.
  • SAI Paint Tool - A lightweight drawing tool I like to use a lot. It's very limited, but holy hell you can make some sweet linework with it. I like to make my lines in this software before moving it over to Photoshop.
  • GIMP - It's free, and that's about the only thing going for it. There's honestly better drawing tools out there. GIMP is more for photo editing than anything else.
  • Open Canvas 6 - This is available on Steam, and it's worth the money if you can't afford something fancier. It's a great tool for novices and pros alike. I highly recommend.
  • Manga Studio 5 - I haven't used this very much yet, most likely because I'm fucking stupid and can't figure out all the options. But my friend uses this a lot and swears by it. He makes some pretty cool shit with this thing.
  • There is a lot of other cool free shit that's just as cool as this stuff.
Traditional
  • Your tools are important, but it's not necessary to shell out a bunch of money for your media of choice.
  • Check out Amazon for sales when you want to buy shit. They usually have fantastic stuff dirt cheap.
  • Ain't nothing wrong with some computer paper and your favorite mechanical pencil. Use the cheap shit when practicing.
  • LEARN YOUR FOUNDATIONS. Things like color usage, contrast, anatomy, ect. Drawing from life is very helpful with this. Even if you want to draw cartoons and shit for fun, if you want to improve you need to gain an understanding of the foundations of art.
  • Your tools don't make the artist. I have seen professionals with ultra fancy tablets and traditional supplies pump out some really cool shit. But I've also seen people pump out shit with just your everyday ballpoint pens you can find in Walmart. Sometimes there's a difference, especially in paper, but it's honestly not very important in the end. Just use what you want to use.
References