Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Sorry, but why was this done?
It's not report abuse if you genuinely believe that something is against the rules... which it seems like they did:

From the looks of it, it seems that they thought that the name was in violation of:
Racism and other discrimination towards gender, religion, and sexual orientation. Does not include discussion of why it is against the rules.

This should've simply been marked "Invalid" and had someone respond with "I don't think this name breaks any rules", or something to that effect.
Instead we've gagged someone for reporting a name that they genuinely thought was offensive - which if they're a Muslim - it definitely would be.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Just because THEY find it offensive doesn't make it okay to report them. Should I report everyone who says I am fat just because they say I am a woman and I find that offensive? Does that make it okay? No, it doesn't, and I would be abusing report just because my interpretation does not jive with Skial's. If you want to defend report abuse, be my guest, but you would be defending anyone who can come up with an answer of "wellllll my interpretation differs from yours, so I have the right to report whenever I want to!"

Oh yeah and I did mean to mark this invalid, not sure why I did resolved.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Just because THEY find it offensive doesn't make it okay to report them. Should I report everyone who says I am fat just because they say I am a woman and I find that offensive? Does that make it okay? No, it doesn't, and I would be abusing report just because my interpretation does not jive with Skial's. If you want to defend report abuse, be my guest, but you would be defending anyone who can come up with an answer of "wellllll my interpretation differs from yours, so I have the right to report whenever I want to!"

Oh yeah and I did mean to mark this invalid, not sure why I did resolved.

The rules specifically mention religion, so I can understand why someone might think this is in violation of the rules.
It's not report abuse if the person genuinely believes something is in violation of the rules.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The rules specifically mention religion, so I can understand why someone might think this is in violation of the rules.
It's not report abuse if the person genuinely believes something is in violation of the rules.
The reporter was told by another player why this wasn't racism, and the reporter went on and agreed, saying that there isn't a specific rule about religion.. ergo vote abuse.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The reporter was told by another player why this wasn't racism, and the reporter went on and agreed, saying that there isn't a specific rule about religion.. ergo vote abuse.

No, the player said "they dont have a more specific one" as in a more specific !report option.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
And my exact example uses my gender, which is also in there with religion

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
And my exact example uses my gender, which is also in there with religion

I'm a little confused by your example honestly.
But I don't think this should've been gagged - when from the chatlog he reported one person who he thought was in violation.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
they never did say whether or not this is about a prophet. for all we know, it could be referring to one of many former Taliban leaders, one of many al-Qaeda members, or of former ISIL member nicknamed "Jihadi John", or even the hijacker of Flight 11

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
No, the player said "they dont have a more specific one" as in a more specific !report option.
Yes, the player said "they don't have a more specific one" as in a rule against bigotry.
He'd obviously checked the rules, and still went on to report someone not breaking any rules.
The punishment serves as a warning, I don't see why you are being publicly objectionable here, why not PM @RMSniper with your concerns, or raise it in the admin section?
they never did say whether or not this is about a prophet. for all we know, it could be referring to one of many former Taliban leaders, one of many al-Qaeda members, or of former ISIL member nicknamed "Jihadi John", or even the hijacker of Flight 11
maxresdefault.jpg

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yes, the player said "they don't have a more specific one" as in a rule against bigotry.
He'd obviously checked the rules, and still went on to report someone not breaking any rules.

He's not talking about a more specific rule though, that's what I'm saying...
He's talking about a more specific !report reason, when you use !report, the options given are:
  • Aimbot
  • Wallhack
  • Racism
  • Griefing
  • Voice Spam
  • Chat Spam
  • Report Spam
  • Vote Spam
  • Map Exploit
  • Game Exploit
  • Admin Impersonation
  • Bypassing AFK Manager
  • DDoS
Which one should people pick when someone is religiously discriminating?

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Actually, why don't we just change 'Racism' to 'Discrimination' @Bottiger? That is a fair point @Luke there should be an option linked with the fact that we punish for discrimination against sex, gender and religion.

Even so though "Faggot Mohamed" is not discrimination on it's own.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Actually, why don't we just change 'Racism' to 'Discrimination' @Bottiger? That is a fair point @Luke there should be an option linked with the fact that we punish for discrimination against sex, gender and religion.

Even so though "Faggot Mohamed" is not discrimination on it's own.

I agree, but I understand why the player might've thought that this was rule-breaking.
Players aren't required to know the rules as much as we do, though.
If they're genuinely mistaken - it shouldn't be taken as report abuse.