Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
So basically, either a separate forum with sub-threads dedicated to the nine classes or just 9 separate stickied threads in the TF2 section of the forum.

Each thread dedicated to a class and people would come onto these threads to give general tips, and suggestions for how to play those classes. Some even coming in with statistical info like:

"As heavy with the new Natasha along with an overheal, while spooling, the Heavy has 540 effective health due to the 20% damage resist with all sources. So it's good for when you're the only heavy on the team during defense." and a post like that would be on the Heavy thread.

People may even post up videos of their gameplay asking how to get better and others would come in and critique and give suggestions on how to improve. I think something like this may be helpful to helping out any player that frequents Skial.

Reactions: 185db

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Dalokohs / fishcake is good now, people. Stop living in the past and equip yours today.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
I see why you would put this in the suggestion section as this is supposed to be helpful, but this section is actually meant for people to give ideas to improve the servers or forums. The best place to put it would be here.

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
I see why you would put this in the suggestion section as this is supposed to be helpful, but this section is actually meant for people to give ideas to improve the servers or forums. The best place to put it would be here.

This is for improving the forums, though. It's not about making the posts themselves than it is with just getting them stickied and how to go about placing the threads on there. Would it be one of the seperate subforums or just 9 seperate stickied threads in the general TF2 forum?

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This "guide" is supposed to be for TF2 players to help or comment on the play style of other TF2 players, isn't it? So how is this "guide" supposed to improve the forums? And like Tangy said, this is in the wrong section. The suggestions section is for players/staff who have seen glitches in-game and want them fixed or want to add something to the number of servers that Skial has. This thread belongs in the TF2 section.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
This "guide" is supposed to be for TF2 players to help or comment on the play style of other TF2 players, isn't it? So how is this "guide" supposed to improve the forums? And like Tangy said, this is in the wrong section. The suggestions section is for players/staff who have seen glitches in-game and want them fixed or want to add something to the number of servers that Skial has. This thread belongs in the TF2 section.

It would improve the forums by getting people to link or post helpful guides, give critique, theorycraft, etc. Every thread would just be specified to one specific class. So a thread for the heavy class, a thread for the medic class, a thread for the scout class and so on.

He's making a suggestion to add a section into the TF2 section where guides can be put

Not just guides, but yeah. Meowcenary gets it.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You can suggest more than that. People have suggested maps more than once, including me.

+1

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Ohhh, I did not quite understand. I thought this was a thread made to put guides in, not to add a section for it.

I would prefer to have just one big thread, and not one for each class though, because there are also general tips that people can give that don't just pertain to one class

+1, I like it.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Ohhh, I did not quite understand. I thought this was a thread made to put guides in, not to add a section for it.

+1, I like it.

Yeah, I could have explained it better in my first post.

I can see the subforum titled, "TF2 Classes" and each thread for the sub-forum dedicated to each of the 9 classes. People would come together on those threads, post guides, theorycraft, give helpful suggestions, and critique on other's recorded gameplays.

People do the latter often on Planetside 2, and I know that TF2 competitors do this as well to get better. I had a coach for a little while and I would take vids of 6's I've been in and watch it together to see where I could improve.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
+1, this isn't as hard as putting up new maps or servers as far as I'm aware and could really show that Skial isn't just a group of servers but also a place to learn how to play good on said servers.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
+1, this isn't as hard as putting up new maps or servers as far as I'm aware and could really show that Skial isn't just a group of servers but also a place to learn how to play good on said servers.

I've always seen Skial as the server where the people usually have a higher skill level than most pubs, so this could be a really good step-up to upping the level of play.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Yeah, I could have explained it better in my first post.

I can see the subforum titled, "TF2 Classes" and each thread for the sub-forum dedicated to each of the 9 classes. People would come together on those threads, post guides, theorycraft, give helpful suggestions, and critique on other's recorded gameplays.

People do the latter often on Planetside 2, and I know that TF2 competitors do this as well to get better. I had a coach for a little while and I would take vids of 6's I've been in and watch it together to see where I could improve.
It would probably have to be a sticked thread. If I recall correctly, making changes to the website is quite difficult and making a sticky would be so much easier. To do this, all you would have to do is make a thread in the tf2 section and ask/hope that a mod stickies it. Having 9 stickies would also be quite cluttered which is why I think one thread would be good.
It is like that in Xenforo, we didn't make it that way. Editing Xenforo takes a lot of work and something like this (in my opinion) isn't a big deal. Just click on NSFW and you can see unmoderated in there.

Or you can turn your phone sideways and see it from the homepage.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
It would have to be a sticked thread. If I recall correctly, making changes to the website is quite difficult and making a sticky would be so much easier. To do this, all you would have to do is make a thread in the tf2 section and ask/hope that a mod stickies it. Having 9 stickies would also be quite cluttered which is why I think one thread would be good.

One thread I believe would be way too chaotic. If there were like, 4 classes, sure. 9? Noep. With the amount of information on all the different classes, one thread for all 9 is just way too much.

For the technical stuff that you mentioned. Someone who has the tools would need to speak up because ultimately if they aren't interested in doing it, or believe that it's too much work and that 9 separate stickied threads would be too cluttered then this suggestion would just be noise. :3

Last edited:

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Yeah, I really could have worded it better. Glad to get the point across now, though! :-D

No don't worry, it was very clear to me and English isn't even my first language. Some people just need more time to process things.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
We have the TF2 section of the forum, you could start a thread there and see if it gets stickied. There are a good few different discussions and guides floating around the forum, but yeah I see what your getting at, a place where all this comes together. TBH, even with a dedicated subforum, all you're going to get is a page full of stickies. A fair bit of knowledge can be gained from linking to other sites, I'm not sure what extra this would offer on top of what we already have here and what's available by posting a link.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
We have the TF2 section of the forum, you could start a thread there and see if it gets stickied. There are a good few different discussions and guides floating around the forum, but yeah I see what your getting at, a place where all this comes together. TBH, even with a dedicated subforum, all you're going to get is a page full of stickies. A fair bit of knowledge can be gained from linking to other sites, I'm not sure what extra this would offer on top of what we already have here and what's available by posting a link.

Yeah, anyone could post a few links here and there, but it's not just linking online resources that this idea would offer.