jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yes, I want the "factory settings".

Things I've tried:
Deleting through Steam and re-installing (still got all settings)
Turning Steam Cloud off, deleting through Steam and re-installing (still got all settings)
Deleting the team fortress 2 folder in my steamapps folder (still got settings)

The reason for this is that I've probably added something stupid in my tf folder and my game has FPS problems (and some cfg's I don't really want).

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20917693

1. Right click steam icon in tray, click settings, go to tab "Download+Cloud" and ENABLE the option "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation for games which support it"

2. open steam, go to library, right click TF2, properties, tab updates, UNTICK the option "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation for Team Fortress 2". Then go to the first tab, and click "set launch options" and clear ANY thats there.

3. Right click steam icon in tray, click settings, go to tab "Download+Cloud" and DISABLE the option "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation for games which support it"

4. Start TF2, Options, Multiplayer, UNTICK the option "synchronize with the steam cloud" near end. Close TF2.

5. Close Steam (as in, click in the tray and choose EXIT)

6. press winkey + R (winkey = between CTRL and ALT lower left of keyboard) and type in: "regedt32" without the "" and press OK. Browse to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Source\Tf\ and delete the "settings" subfolder.

7. Go to ..\steam\steamapps\*your account name here*\Team fortress 2\"
delete ALL but the "tf" folder.

8. Go to ..\steam\steamapps\*your account name here*\Team fortress 2\tf\"
delete ALL but the "maps" folder.

9. Go to ..\steam\steamapps\*your account name here*\Team fortress 2\tf\maps"
delete ALL subfolders but not the files within the "maps" folder.

that concludes a reset to all

Steamcloud needs to be turned OFF, cos there is NO way to delete what is up there, you get it downloaded everytime you start TF2, if you want it or not, if you changed it or not etc. the only thing they do is up the config of your when you close the game. And of that, I'm not even sure, cos I've seen things come back that I had set in a autoexec.cfg differently EVERYTIME I launched the game. No idea why it is default on. Sure would not want that.

you may:
- lose favorite servers
- any mod, downloaded stuff like skins, mods etc. They will redownload when you visit the server.

the only settings it is NOT resetting is the "rate" value in the game, cos that one is for some strange reason located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\ key "rate" value... depends on what you had set it. Default is 10.000.

"steamcloud" is saving locally the settings in: ..\steam\userdata\"xxxxxxxx"\...

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Thanks, Psycho. I'm now getting my tf folder back from the trash bin, because I don't feel like downloading all maps again.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Thanks, Psycho. I'm now getting my tf folder back from the trash bin, because I don't feel like downloading all maps again.
You are welcome. Also, make sure you restore maps only - do not restore any other files.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
By the way, when can I turn on Steam Cloud again?
"Steamcloud needs to be turned OFF, cos there is NO way to delete what is up there, you get it downloaded everytime you start TF2, if you want it or not, if you changed it or not etc. the only thing they do is up the config of your when you close the game. And of that, I'm not even sure, cos I've seen things come back that I had set in a autoexec.cfg differently EVERYTIME I launched the game. No idea why it is default on. Sure would not want that."

From that I assume you have to keep it off, but try to enable it back after step 9.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
I thought there was a way to make the cloud default by using -autoexec during the launch once, then restart tf2, then delete the -autoexec again.

It worked for me once, but I can't remember exactly how I did it.

Releets-senpai

Scarcely Lethal Noob
So i just did this, and now when i try to launch TF2, it says: "Missing Executable". It won't let me open my game. What do i do?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So i just did this, and now when i try to launch TF2, it says: "Missing Executable". It won't let me open my game. What do i do?

vBirz7q.png

Releets-senpai

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Before i managed to read this, a friend of mine thought a solution would be to uninstall, and re-install the game. Don't know if that was a good idea or not.(Probably not). After the game was done installing, it now says: "update required". If i try to launch the game, it does a second of downloading, before i get: "Disk write error". I probably just made things a lot harder than it had to be.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Before i managed to read this, a friend of mine thought a solution would be to uninstall, and re-install the game. Don't know if that was a good idea or not.(Probably not). After the game was done installing, it now says: "update required". If i try to launch the game, it does a second of downloading, before i get: "Disk write error". I probably just made things a lot harder than it had to be.
Check out THIS and THIS threads.