Blaze Zorah

Uncharitable Spy
So I use a Lenovo laptop, I can provide more details if necessary but it's not a shitty computer but at the same time isn't the most glorious one. But at some point after I boot my computer up my system32 folder opens. This started less than a week ago and it happens 1-2 times every time I boot up my computer. I've run scans and it doesn't seem to be a virus, but who knows. If it is a virus I have no idea how I came across it unless it was in a server.

Anyways, it opens randomly. I've had it disrupt me while playing both payday 2 and TF2 as well as open while I'm afk and have nothing running. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it is I was messing with TF2 files for a HUD and it was about a day after that that it started happening. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing it or how to fix it?

edit: not sure why I didn't think of this before but I'm going to do a forced reset on it once I get home and see if that fixes it or not

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It sounds like something a redirect virus or bad desktop shortcut would do. Maybe screen your computer first just to be sure there's nothing like that.

Blaze Zorah

Uncharitable Spy
It sounds like something a redirect virus or bad desktop shortcut would do. Maybe screen your computer first just to be sure there's nothing like that.

I did, I have Norton and I ran a full system scan over the weekend while I was out and it found nothing

what OS do you have
I use windows 8 currently. Debating on updating to windows 10 if I can get this fixed though unless it would fix it

Like this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/170086

If it has something to do with your registry keys, it's a dangerous thing to mess with. I'd recommend learning a bit about it before messing around with it, I almost killed one of my old desktop a few years ago like that

I'm not computer savvy so I haven't the slightest idea how any of that works but wouldn't that be caused by me messing with system files? The only thing I did before it started up was import a HUD into TF2 which I deleted to see if that was what caused it

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So I use a Lenovo laptop, I can provide more details if necessary but it's not a shitty computer but at the same time isn't the most glorious one. But at some point after I boot my computer up my system32 folder opens. This started less than a week ago and it happens 1-2 times every time I boot up my computer. I've run scans and it doesn't seem to be a virus, but who knows. If it is a virus I have no idea how I came across it unless it was in a server.

Anyways, it opens randomly. I've had it disrupt me while playing both payday 2 and TF2 as well as open while I'm afk and have nothing running. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it is I was messing with TF2 files for a HUD and it was about a day after that that it started happening. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing it or how to fix it?

edit: not sure why I didn't think of this before but I'm going to do a forced reset on it once I get home and see if that fixes it or not
Had you uninstalled any software before it started happening?

Follow THIS guide to get to a list of startup applications, take a screenshot and post it here.

Blaze Zorah

Uncharitable Spy
Had you uninstalled any software before it started happening?

Follow THIS guide to get to a list of startup applications, take a screenshot and post it here.

Uninstalled? No. Only things I did prior to it was mess with HUD files but I removed all of them and it's not affected it. Though I did have games update

KUHqthW.png

It actually decided to open while I was trying to do that so here's this as well

wmTtOOR.png

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Do right-click on each app in "Startup" tab, select "Open file location" and see if any of the apps are pointing to C:\Windows\System32

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
All three published by "Intel Corporation" are located there
One of them is causing an issue. My bet would be a "Delayed Launcher" (Intel Rapid Recovery Technology) especially considering the fact you have "(2)" after the name of it. Could you expand "Delayed Launcher (2)" and show us what's in there?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and see if you could locate the following executables there:

1. iastoriconlaunch.exe
2. igfxtray.exe
3. hkcmd.exe

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just as I suspected, most likely the issue is caused by Intel Rapid Recovery Technology. What I'd try to do - I'd try going to Lenovo's website, locating all available drivers for your laptop, downloading and then re-installing all Intel drivers for your laptop you may find there.

Blaze Zorah

Uncharitable Spy
Just as I suspected, most likely the issue is caused by Intel Rapid Recovery Technology. What I'd try to do - I'd try going to Lenovo's website, locating all available drivers for your laptop, downloading and then re-installing all Intel drivers for your laptop you may find there.

Alright, I'll try that this weekend. Thank you!