Stachekip

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Edit: Whitelist needs testing. If anyone can quickly test this on a server and let me know if it works, please do so.

I don't disapprove of sv_pure 1 because it stops people from using undetected wallhacks and replacing the Spy decloak sound. The problem with it is that no one makes a proper whitelist for their servers, meaning people can't even use skins that don't give an advantage over others(such as viewmodels, certain player models, and the health meter).

I think the servers should have a whitelist that allows all skins EXCEPT ones that can produce wallhacks and replace the Spy decloak sound.

This is the whitelist:

Code:
Whitelist
{
Whitelist
{
    //
    // 3 modifiers are allowed on file specifications:
    //
    //    from_steam        - only check the Steam cache for the

file (ignore anything on disk)
    //    allow_from_disk        - allow the file to come from disk
    //    check_crc        - used with allow_from_disk - server does

CRC checks on the client's file to make sure it matches
    //
    //    The default modifier on all files is allow_from_disk.

Thus, all files can come from disk and don't need CRC checks unless
    //    allow_from_disk can be set at the same time as check_crc.

Use the + character in between them to signify this:

allow_from_disk+check_crc.

//
    // Three types of file specifications:
    //
    //    1. directory\*.*    - refers to all files under the

directory
    //    2. directory\...    - refers to all files under the

directory and all directories under that (recursively)
    //    3. directory\filename    - refers to a single file

//
    // By default, when in pure server mode, most content file types

are only allowed to come from Steam.
    //
    materials\...            from_steam
    models\...            allow_from_disk
    sound\...            allow_from_disk

//
    // Allow custom player models. Don't do CRC checks on them

because the clients may all
    // have different custom models and the server won't have them

all.
    //
    models\player\...        allow_from_disk
    materials\models\player\...    allow_from_disk

//
    // Allow custom spray decals.
    //
    materials\temp\...        allow_from_disk
    materials\vgui\logos\...    allow_from_disk
    materials\vgui\logos\ui\...    allow_from_disk

//
    //Unblocked content:
    //
    materials\models\buildables\... allow_from disk
    materials\models\player\...    allow_from_disk
    materials\models\weapons\...    allow_from_disk
    materials\models\items\...      allow_from_disk
    materials\models\flag\...      allow_from_disk
    materials\console\...          allow_from_disk
    materials\particle\...          allow_from_disk
    materials\Particles\...        allow_from_disk
    materials\sprites\...          allow_from_disk
    materials\props\...          allow_from_disk
    materials\Effects\...          allow_from_disk
    materials\signs\...            allow_from_disk
    materials\HUD\...              allow_from_disk
    materials\Tile\...              allow_from_disk

//
    //Blocked Content:
    //
    sound\player\footsteps\...                    from_steam
    sound\player\spy_uncloak.wav              from_steam
    sound\player\spy_cloak.wav                from_steam
    sound\player\spy_disguise.wav            from_steam
    sound\player\spy_uncloak_feigndeath.wav    from_steam
    materials\Effects\sniperdot.vtf            from_steam
    materials\Effects\sniperdot_blue.vtf      from_steam
    materials\Effects\sniperdot_red.vtf      from_steam
    materials\HUD\scope_sniper_ul.vtf          from_steam
    materials\HUD\scope_sniper_ul_dx80.vtf      from_steam
    materials\water\...                      from steam
    materials\wood\...                        from_steam
    materials\concrete\...                    from_steam
    materials\metal\...                      from_steam
    materials\nature\...                    from_steam

}

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
so i have no idea what you're asking for since all the skins and stuff i used have worked fine on the skial servers

Stachekip

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
so i have no idea what you're asking for since all the skins and stuff i used have worked fine on the skial servers
Sound replacements don't work at all(even ones that don't provide an advantage, and to make matters worse, using sound replacements in Skial servers causes game crashes due to the bad whitelist), and neither do custom backpack icons, custom health meters, custom viewmodels, and certain player models.

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Custom health meters don't show up on Skial due to using sv_pure 1 without a proper whitelist, so that wouldn't work.
you're stupid.
24046313B2D8462AB58AA94D5E56923723E616EA

Reactions: mohawkg2

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Sound replacements don't work at all(even ones that don't provide an advantage, and to make matters worse, using sound replacements in Skial servers causes game crashes due to the bad whitelist), and neither do custom backpack icons, custom health meters, custom viewmodels, and certain player models.
In regards to the sound replacements, I used the victorian blast skin and sound replacement for my reserve shooter and the worked fine(didn't even crash).

Reactions: mohawkg2

Stachekip

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
In regards to the sound replacements, I used the victorian blast skin and sound replacement for my reserve shooter and the worked fine(didn't even crash).
Was it on the 2fort servers? For some reason, the 2fort servers are sv_pure 0.

Stachekip

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
No, it worked on 5Gorge, Dustbowl, and Turbine.
Then it's probably just luck that it works on that sound, because you can't replace a majority of the sounds without having the sounds become obnoxiously loud and ear piercing, and of course some causing crashes. I'm not the only one with this issue either, as many others who try using sounds on sv_pure 1 servers get crashes.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
somethings work on some servers and some dont work on any servers all servers are set to sv_pure 1 they just report wrong(bug in the system)

Stachekip

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
somethings work on some servers and some dont work on any servers all servers are set to sv_pure 1 they just report wrong(bug in the system)
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. The reason skins and sound replacements and such don't work on sv_pure 1 is because the whitelist isn't modified at all.

What do you consider a "proper" whitelist? Do you have a link to one?
As I explained in the first post, one that allows all skins that don't involve modifying the Spy's cloak/decloak sounds and ones that can produce an undetectable wallhack. I do not have a link to one currently, but I'm sure one can be found.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
yes, but all servers are sv_pure 1 some of them just dont activate correctly therefor allowing you to sometimes be able to use customs sounds, skins, or other replacements..... an example would be on skials turbine (us5) i can use my custom engy, pyro, medic, heavy, and spy all with custom sounds and skins just fine but as soon as i take them on to skials dustbowl server (us21) i crash and lag all over the server... take them out of the respective folder and i run just fine

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. The reason skins and sound replacements and such don't work on sv_pure 1 is because the whitelist isn't modified at all.

As I explained in the first post, one that allows all skins that don't involve modifying the Spy's cloak/decloak sounds and ones that can produce an undetectable wallhack. I do not have a link to one currently, but I'm sure one can be found.
I'm just asking it because I think Bottiger is going to ask the same thing. I don't know if it's worth the effort to do this because there's always going to be push and pull to what should be on the whitelist.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
and creating a specific whitelist for allowing skins sounds and hud replacements is much harder then it sounds.... valve has to make shit difficult

Stachekip

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
and creating a specific whitelist for allowing skins sounds and hud replacements is much harder then it sounds.... valve has to make shit difficult
Yes, that's also why Valve made the default whitelist for sv_pure 1 fucking horrible.

I do understand that it's harder than it sounds to make a proper whitelist, but I think it's worth it because it'd attract more people who are looking for sv_pure 1 servers that have a proper whitelist(which are generally very hard to find).