Orthros

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Oh God he's back! Quick! Hide!

TF2 has been receiving some pretty cool updates as of late. Once viewed as a ripoff of another game feature, Skins and the more recent War Paints have been pretty well accepted into the game. The level of customization for your class of choice has increased extremely as a result.

That in mind, I would like to point out that, in certain servers, some Skins and War Paints don't get displayed correctly. The primary example would be VSH, where weapons often have different stats. Using my Medic weapon set as an example...

Civic Duty Mk.II Crusader's Crossbow
Nutcracker Mk.II Medi-Gun
Civic Duty Mk.II Ubersaw

(I don't think other qualities make a difference, but in case they do, all three weapons are Strange and Factory New.)

In VSH, all Medi-Guns are replaced with a Medi-Gun that gives Quickfix-Jumping, and on uber,100% Crits, Ubercharge, and Self-Healing/Overhealing (to 200% max health.) The Crossbow and the Ubersaw are not changed, although they are given 100% crit chance.

Any Medi-Gun that is used in VSH that isn't one of the following is replaced with a Stock-Skinned Medigun:
-Stock Medi-Gun
-Festive Medi-Gun (Not to be mistaken with Festivized)
-Kritzkrieg
-Vaccinator
-Quick-Fix

I'm not entirely sure why this happens. I assume it has something to do with the skin IDs not being included in some sort of list that the server chooses from when replacing the weapon. This bug effects ALL weapons that have Skins, including Festivized & other variant versions, from all collections excluding the original Teufort and Craftsmann Collections, and certain weapons from the Concealed Killer and Powerhouse Collections.

(Disclaimer: I can't 100% confirm what works and what doesn't. That's hundreds of potential Skins without even including quality and pattern variants.)

It should be fixable. We had a similar issue on G-S.N's VSH server a while back, and between the Owner and Head-Developer, they were able to update it. I don't think VSH is the only server(s) with this issue, although I don't know what others have it for sure. Anything that replaces the weapons for whatever reason, primarily stat changes.

If you need any more details, or if there's something else I can help out with, please let me know.

-Orthros

Orthros

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I realized I never gave a summary of the bug, that's kind of embarrassing, even if you could get the gist of it without one.

Recent skin additions, including War Paints, Festivized Weapons, more recent Skin Collections, etc. that have adjusted stats on a server are replaced with Stock-Skinned versions of themselves.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Could be wrong about this, but I believe this is actually a fix of sorts until the VSH mod authors update the plugin.

If this wasn't in place then all of the newer skins would not have the right stats, so we ruin the graphics in order to improve consistent stats.

If the VSH authors were to update plugin to recognise all of the new skins and assign them the right stats, we wouldn't have to do this.

As I said, this is just a guess - and I'm not sure if the fix has been done by Bottiger, or by the plugin authors as a quick fix until everything works.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Could be wrong about this, but I believe this is actually a fix of sorts until the VSH mod authors update the plugin.

If this wasn't in place then all of the newer skins would not have the right stats, so we ruin the graphics in order to improve consistent stats.

If the VSH authors were to update plugin to recognise all of the new skins and assign them the right stats, we wouldn't have to do this.

As I said, this is just a guess - and I'm not sure if the fix has been done by Bottiger, or by the plugin authors as a quick fix until everything works.

I think it's also to make things easier, because every update you would have to put each id of every different type of medigun or whatever item.

So it just defaults your weapon to the medigun and adds the stats. A reskin of an item usually has a different id but has the same weapon class but mediguns all have the same class "tf_weapon_medigun" even the quickfix, and vaccinator. So there isn't an easy way to distinguish between the types. Things like the rocket jumper are easy because that's just one id, there are no festive rocket jumpers etc..