Approved Suggestion about votemenu.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Martin > Just Martin, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

1. Martin > Just Martin

Martin > Just Martin Mildly Menacing Medic

Steam:

Hello everyone, I would like to suggest a change on one of your servers (TRADE | US). There have been some discussions latety over the votemenu function, (abusing it, calling votemenu for no reason etc.) and after giving it some thought I`ve came to the conclusion that we might need a rather small, but important change to it. At the moment, when you use the votemenu command you basically have 2 options to choose from: racism and spam; I think adding third option called "Interrupting trades/trade advertisements" is a nice addition to it. I am aware that we can still use "spam" option instead but it seems that whenever someone is actually interrupting other people on voicechat while they are advertising, and votemenu is called, some people see "spam" as a reason and choose to completely ignore it. That new option might help some people identifiy why someone is actually being muted for. Once again, I know it is not really that important to implement but I just feel it is something worth mentioning.

TL;DR : After you use !votemenu, there are only 2 options; My suggestion: We add third one called "Advertisement Interruption".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bottiger

Bottiger Administrator

Steam:

What evidence do you have that people are ignoring "spam" as a reason, and how does that fix the issue of "abusing it, calling votemenu for no reason"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sneaking Wraith

Sneaking Wraith Scarcely Lethal Noob

Steam:

i can see this being a nice addition to the votemenu for all skial servers sometimes its not always spam its just people talking over the other cause the person has the other guy muted for some reason already or something or just likes to interrupt people who are trying to advertise +1 from me :)

4. Jermaphobe

Jermaphobe Moderator Contributor Master Mapper

Steam:

This would only apply to trade servers as voice actually has a purpose, to advertise the items you're selling.

Still haven't seen evidence as to why this is necessary, "Spam" would suffice just as fine

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin > Just Martin

Steam:

Just yesterday there was one guy that was interrupting everyone by mimicking others on voice chat. We called a votemute on him but people didn`t know why he was being votemuted because he wasn’t spamming or being racist. We had to votemute him three times and explain what rule is he breaking to some other people to finally get him muted. Ask ArayhMD, Neko, freeman, or anyone that was on a server yesterday at a time where that guy got muted. Other than words from some people that are part of the skial community I have no “actual” evidence, as in a demo or recording of some sort. Situations like this happens from time to time and I do not really have the time or the will to report every single one of them. My original intention was not to fix the abuse of votemenu,(although right now I actually noticed that it might help by some degree) but rather help identify people 2 things:
    1. What is the exact reason why someone is being muted? People would actually press F1 button when it is needed, because there have been situations where someone is spamming on voicechat, but just because the reason for mute was “Racism” they decided to vote F2, or not vote at all because they didn’t hear anyone saying anything racist.
    2. To let people that got muted know, why they got muted. Another case of rule breaking – Some guy is spamming on voice chat (but he has no idea that he is actually spamming, he did it unintentionally without even realizing he broke a rule), votemenu shows up, again “Racism” as a reason, this time vote passes, the guy that got muted is clueless, he has no idea what he did wrong, just because he wasn`t racist. To put it simply, we need to use votemenu function few times before it actually passes, so people on the server actually know why this votemenu is justified and majority votes with their F1 button.
    Yeah, that’s what I emphasized in my first sentence, to add it only to Trade US because that’s where this problem occurs.
    I do not think it is necessary, it is just something to have in mind, just a subtle suggestion that might help to keep things clean. You can choose to give a ban to an aimbotter with a reason other than “aimbotting” but using the exact reason why someone is banned/muted etc. (in this example “using an aimbotter”) is more elegant solution.

6. Jermaphobe

Jermaphobe Moderator Contributor Master Mapper

Steam:

Hearsay is useless as evidence, and there is one fatal flaw in your "evidence"

Arayh is an admin, if this player was being as obnoxious and intrusive as you say he was, Arayh would have silenced him for interrupting trade chat and spamming. If the player was not breaking the rules, he would have silenced the people calling false vote silences on the player.
    Are you now going to say he didn't do his job?

Vote Abuse is not something we can catch 100% of the time and rely on people to report this to us. If players are too self-entitled to not bother reporting these abusers to us they shouldn't complain about it being an issue when they can't be arsed to report them.

Regardless, -1

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 4:08 PM
  7. Cream Tea

Cream Tea Legendary Skial King Legendary Mapper

Steam:

+1 it makes sense

somebody may not necessarily be spamming but are still interrupting trade advertisements

if this suggestion goes through only add it for the trade servers of course

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martin > Just Martin

Steam:

He was on the server but he was AFK from time to time, I have no problem with that because he is just a human and he deserves a break for a smoke or for a coffee, I have nothing againts him and I know he is doing good job as an admin. I never said he didnt do his job or that he does poorly as an admin, I`m just saying it took us 3 times to call the vote before the guy got muted finally, (well actually ArayMD cancelled the vote and muted the guy for 1440 minutes). Maybe you should try to talk with him instead to have a full perspective on this situation. And If words from admin won`t change your mind then I don’t know what will.
    The main issue here is that it can be avoided if there was that third option, the votemute would pass on the first try, we wouldn`t even need an admin to intervene (and no, we didn`t call him or anything, he joined earlier on his own)
    "Situations like this" I meant situations where people interrupt other on voicechat intentionally, not the vote abuse because that`s not my focus in this thread.

9. Maddo

Maddo Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

Can't you just mute people on trade through the game menu if they're being dicks?

10. Martin > Just Martin

Steam:

It`s not about someone being a dick, it`s about that person saying something on voicechat while you are trying to advertise. If you mute them yourself, everyone else can still hear that person and that doesn`t solve the problem. In fact now you are in a situation where you might actually be the one interrupting that person because you do not hear the person that tries to advertise.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. HugeFluffyNeko

HugeFluffyNeko Somewhat Threatening Sniper Contributor

Steam:

I don't see how the client side mute is going to fix anything. You are just going to talk over the guy you muted and contribute to the problem yourself.

+1 We need a third option in that menu.

There are people who claim they did nothing wrong as it's not part of the votemenu.
    Even if you drag them to read the rules they don't stop. So maybe if it were part of the votemenu we wouldn't have to spend 20 minutes trying to explain to the guy it is against the rules, this isnt his personal voice chat so he oughta stop interrupting people who are actually trading.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Maddo

Maddo Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

You want to mute him through a vote and now you're concerned you might talk over him??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice