Bottiger

Administrator
You can now list unusuals.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=appid:440+unusual

Pros of Steam Market
  • Large official site.
  • You will be able to see/get all prices for all items.
  • Universal currency: No more searching through hundreds of listings.
  • Scam free: Valve is the only party that can ensure charge-back protection.
Cons of Steam Market
  • 15% fee
  • You cannot withdraw money. Probably a temporary problem.
As I predicted before, Steam Market has the ability to replace all trade sites such as tf2outpost and backpack.tf. I was in the process of making our own trade site when it was released.

What are your thoughts?

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Eventually, I think the market will allow Stranges to be sold, basically covering every quality of item, besides normal and the self-made ones. And everyone sells cheaper on the market than in the Mann Co store, even if the margin isn't to big. Trading sites might still be around, for those who don't want to invest the money into the market, but they'll probably die down.

Randinie

Uncharitable Spy
So valve have to ask, I buy an unusual on your market but I cant see that its gifted, that it was duped than stolen off a hijacked account, are you still going to trade lock for that?
Saw it coming and still hate it.

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I doubt it, until they add an ability to interface with paypal safely so that the money isn't forced to stay on steam, I can't see it replacing any websites such as outpost.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Until you can withdraw from Steam wallet it won't replace other sites.

And at least Outpost and Sourceop don't require a cut from every trade...

Bottiger

Administrator
I am sure Valve will fix it soon enough.

The average trader is probably too lazy or too young to have Paypal. And most people just want to use the cash to get other games.

There will be always people trying to avoid the fee, but the number of people using Steam Marketplace and the no-scam guarantee will probably make it cheaper than 3rd party sites if it isn't already.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I like it, and I hope they add more to it. But don't let this scare you away from making that skial trade site. I'd use that all the time and dump outpost.

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
Before the Steam Market was introduced, I thought it would never happen because that would discourage people from purchasing items straight from Valve.
But if they don't allow you to withdraw the money from your Steam wallet, Valve will eventually get most of it back. Their cash cow is chewing its cud.

Bottiger

Administrator
I like it, and I hope they add more to it. But don't let this scare you away from making that skial trade site. I'd use that all the time and dump outpost.

I stopped the project because I didn't want to spend so much time on something that Valve is going to make obsolete. It might not happen soon, but I am sure it will eventually happen.

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well everyone saw this coming. As said before, stranges will be next and most cash trades on Outpost will be gone. It mostly depends on if people want to run the risk of a scam or pay the fee. Either way, trading sites will most likely be around after for people who simply want to trade items. Also sort of surprised Buds aren't marketable.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Well, if valve added a system to extract valve bucks from Steam, buds would become fairly worthless, since people use em to make high level trades almost exclusively. Some people actually wear em, but they're not that interesting of a misc. They would basically cease to be traded in mass quantities. Not sure what effect this would have, but it's most likely what would happen.

bluehawk

Legendary Skial King
There will always be people buying and selling on paypal. paypal will always be cheaper than the community market guarantee. & Outpost will never go obsolete there are a lot of people who do not spend any money in this game so they will continue to trade in game items. its goingto make websites like tf2shop.net obsolete & buying and selling any unusuals for money. It will only be buds and keys through paypal.

Eventually, I think the market will allow Stranges to be sold, basically covering every quality of item, besides normal and the self-made ones. And everyone sells cheaper on the market than in the Mann Co store, even if the margin isn't to big. Trading sites might still be around, for those who don't want to invest the money into the market, but they'll probably die down.

you can buy some stranges already.

the dealer

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Not with the fee, no. If you had 100 keys, sold them all on the market, and then used all your money to buy keys again, you would end up with 85 keys. Quite ridiculous really. Now, of course you wouldn't buy keys again, but the same thing applies to whatever you buy, just you don't notice it. Say you sold a few keys to buy few Genuine items. You would be losing 15% of your money. Now say you don't like the Genuines anymore and you sell them to buy an Unusual. Now you've lost 28% of your money. Now say you want Stranges and you sell your Unusual to buy them. Now you have lost 39%, after buying and selling just 3 times. After 7 times of buying and selling again you would have almost no money left. This is why I don't like to use the market except when I am dealing with items that are hard to trade away or when I need wallet cash to buy a game. You lose too damn much.