ŋĩńjā jiм

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Or try dyndns.com or no-ip.com for solutions to a static ip without paying for said ip. And what type of internet are you using for ps3 network wired or wireless?

Matt_

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Why do you need to make your PS3 static? If you want to make the local IP static, log into your router and change it there.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm not an IT, I cbf to figure out what it does, and it's been explained to me that it's the same as all ports being opened. For example: http://community.eu.playstation.com...p-a-DMZ-on-my-PlayStation-3-PS3/td-p/14419671
DMZ is not the same as all ports being opened. It also has nothing to do with static/dynamic IP. Whether you create DMZ with static IP or with dynamic IP - doesn't matter. It's about your readiness to have certain infrastructure components of your network (e.g. web-site) to be exposed to the WAN and implement two one-sided firewall solution (recommended) to secure your internal network from access from the WAN (since DMZ will take this role over).

Making it simple: Instead of putting your Web-server on your internal network thus exposing your internal network to the public WAN (figure 1), you are putting your Web-server in DMZ, surrounded by 2 firewalls that restrict specific traffic on both sides thus preventing people from accessing your private network (since your private network doesn't host any public services) - figure 2.

Figure 1

|WAN| -> |Firewall| -> |Private Network with Web-server|

Figure 2

|WAN| -> |Firewall| -> |DMZ with Web-server| -> |Firewall| -> |Private Network|.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
DMZ is not the same as all ports being opened. It also has nothing to do with static/dynamic IP. Whether you create DMZ with static IP or with dynamic IP - doesn't matter. It's about your readiness to have certain infrastructure components of your network (e.g. web-site) to be exposed to the WAN and implement two one-sided firewall solution (recommended) to secure your internal network from access from the WAN (since DMZ will take this role over).

Making it simple: Instead of putting your Web-server on your internal network thus exposing your internal network to the public WAN (figure 1), you are putting your Web-server in DMZ, surrounded by 2 firewalls that restrict specific traffic on both sides thus preventing people from accessing your private network (since your private network doesn't host any public services) - figure 2.

Figure 1

|WAN| -> |Firewall| -> |Private Network with Web-server|

Figure 2

|WAN| -> |Firewall| -> |DMZ with Web-server| -> |Firewall| -> |Private Network|.
I would add that the only way to get past the second firewall usually is if the request is coming from the web server in the DMZ, you can't just go straight though. Usually you have a IDS and/or IPS as a fence around the DMZ to detect and hopefully prevent any intrusions.

THEK

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Yeah I'm pretty certain you don't need to put anything in a DMZ. Just use http://dyndns.com.

Even in a DMZ your External IP will keep changing, which I believe was the original problem. Unless you have a business internet connection.