Perseus Dash Jackson

Epic Skial Regular
So, if my ISP gives me a Dynamic IP, is there really any kind of need to tell them that I'm getting myself a static IP? In any situation you have ever heard of?

Just checkin'

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Are you asking why you would want a static IP? Or are you saying your ip isn't changing even though it's dynamic?

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
Are you asking why you would want a static IP? Or are you saying your ip isn't changing even though it's dynamic?
I think he's asking whether he has to tell his ISP that he is making his IP static. And no Perseus, you don't have to.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well, kind of, not really. xd

But this will do for the purposes of demilitarizing my ps3, right? >>
Public IP Address is being assigned to your router/modem by your ISP's DHCP server and there is absolutely no way to dictate it to make it private. Only if ISP adds you to "reservations" list and tells DHCP that your IP should be static - you'll have it. Basically, public IP address is the one that faces the WAN.

Private IP address is the address you are getting from your router on your home network (for peer-to-peer communications within your local network LAN) - you can set it up manually on the router. You don't need any additional software like the one you posted for that. Unless you have completely no idea on how to do that, of course.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Public IP Address is being assigned to your router/modem by your ISP's DHCP server and there is absolutely no way to dictate it to make it private. Only if ISP adds you to "reservations" list and tells DHCP that your IP should be static - you'll have it. Basically, public IP address is the one that faces the WAN.

Private IP address is the address you are getting from your router on your home network (for peer-to-peer communications within your local network LAN) - you can set it up manually on the router. You don't need any additional software like the one you posted for that. Unless you have completely no idea on how to do that, of course.
ISPs also charge extra for static IPs

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
ISPs also charge extra for static IPs
Absolutely correct. Usually residents request static private IP only in case they host some public services (e.g. website, ftp-site, and so on). Other than that having static public IP is an absolute waste of money.

Matt_

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
My IP is static, it costs extra money a month, so only get it if you need it.