185db

Epic Skial Regular
Obviously lately there have been people pushing the boundaries of what is kind of the unspoken agreement about the discord server to act somewhat decent outside of shitposting. Shitposting was created to help filter this (at least as far as I know), but some of this has been spilling out into the more general channels.

I propose that the standard forum rules be enforced in the discord. The extent of which is of course decided by the moderators, but at the very least it won't be a free for all. Shitposting could be exempt from the majority of these, much like unmod.

This suggestion is a community decision, if you think the discord is better off without any rules at all then feel free to vote against.

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
In a way, I think everyone is treated in a biased way, the same as the forums. I won't name but there is an obviously a one sided thing going on here, no one knows. Anyways, I appreciate your response to make the forums and discord a better place, ultimately it's up to us to build that wall of trust between us so we don't actually have to enforce the forum rules in discord. Who we are, matters, but more importantly, it's how we present our selves to everyone to make a better system.

-1 It's fine the way it is, I trust our admins can make a better place. Quite frankly I was impressed that one of our admins removed one annoying person, which that person deserved.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
-1 Need proper place to shit
Thats what #shitposting_channel is for.
In a way, I think everyone is treated in a biased way, the same as the forums. I won't name but there is an obviously a one sided thing going on here, no one knows. Anyways, I appreciate your response to make the forums and discord a better place, ultimately it's up to us to build that wall of trust between us so we don't actually have to enforce the forum rules in discord. Who we are, matters, but more importantly, it's how we present our selves to everyone to make a better system.

-1 It's fine the way it is, I trust our admins can make a better place. Quite frankly I was impressed that one of our admins removed one annoying person, which that person deserved.
The admins can make it an even better place if they are not constrained to the limited and hardly even determined rules of the Discord server.

You speak of making trust, but that clearly has been broken. I think the wise course of action would be to establish rules, and then maybe take them away if not needed. I find this highly unlikely, but hey. Maybe everyone will be at peace some day.

Think of the rules as a foundation for trust :)

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Thats what #shitposting_channel is for.

The admins can make it an even better place if they are not constrained to the limited and not even determined rules of the Discord server.

You speak of making trust, but that clearly has been broken. I think the wise course of action would be to establish rules, and then maybe take them away if not needed. I find this highly unlikely, but hey. Maybe everyone will be at peace some day.

True, but my friend, my only and only best friend, in a way on the battle on the cake of the deer.

In a peaceful way, you are not FORCED to use Discord. If this was the FORUMS this would be different, because this is the main deal, but discord is just an option. Personally I like it using it, but again, it's MY choice. I don't HAVE to use it.

TheMiningAlex

Positively Inhumane Poster
+1 cause if your gonna make a discord it should at least be hospitable in some sections.

You can't honestly expect some of the people who go through here to be trusted to uphold moral standards without rules can you. If you tell them there are no rules they will just go crazy.

Toxik

Contributor
As I've already stated, we have plenty of admins on Discord to cover it almost around the clock. I don't see how it would be difficult to enforce rules, so there is no reason not to have them, especially when some people spam the n-word or just spam a few letters dozens of time in a row.

Reactions: Cream Tea and 185db

Ed_

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
As I've already stated, we have plenty of admins on Discord to cover it almost around the clock. I don't see how it would be difficult to enforce rules, so there is no reason not to have them, especially when some people spam the n-word or just spam a few letters dozens of time in a row.
i hate people who do that.

Zev

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
+1 Its fair & square. if your gonna start a discord server. atleast add some rules

Reactions: 185db

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Bump

For those of you who voted but did not explain your reasoning; if you could do that, that would be great.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
Bump

For those of you who voted but did not explain your reasoning; if you could do that, that would be great.
Ok

Most of that stuff I don't want to enforce on discord. Doxing? Illegal stuff? Sure. Maybe spamming. Rarely. The rest I don't care. There are no cries for action when Ed calls someone a nigger or goes off-topic in the TF2 channel.

If it were up to me I would say doxing / illegal content / shock images are immediately bannable and for anything else, admins still reserve the right to warn you and delete posts when they feel you are going over a line before they can ban you.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
+1. Also purposely spamming or disrupting an active conversation in general should not be allowed.

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
-1 most of the forum rules don't even apply to discord since it's a chat channel and not a forum. Posting illegal content and extreme spamming are no-brainers to enforce, but tell me how arbitrarily banning for going off topic or thread crapping when there's no threads to crap in will actually help. The only rule I'd be fine with is keeping flame-bait inside shit-post, but every other forum rule here is only going to make discord feel more restrictive. To me, discord is a more liberal alternative to the forums where people should feel less pressure over making active conversation via short posts even if others disagree with them.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
-1 most of the forum rules don't even apply to discord since it's a chat channel and not a forum. Posting illegal content and extreme spamming are no-brainers to enforce, but tell me how arbitrarily banning for going off topic or thread crapping when there's no threads to crap in will actually help. The only rule I'd be fine with is keeping flame-bait inside shit-post, but every other forum rule here is only going to make discord feel more restrictive. To me, discord is a more liberal alternative to the forums where people should feel less pressure over making active conversation via short posts even if others disagree with them.
If that is the conclusion that the moderators come to, then I whole heartedly support it. I do agree that it wouldn't translate perfectly 1-1.

As I said, the extent of enforcement is up to the moderators, and what you have said seems very valid. I used the forum rules mainly as a baseline. Adjustments can be made as seen fit.

I don't think it can be denied that some sort of structure needs to be established though.

Reactions: Cream Tea