• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Asriel Dreemunov

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I've looked it up and can't find anything specifically on this, just sends me to the wikia page about it which doesn't specifically answer it either (https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system)
Since you need to be "actively playing" to get items, which means:
  • Is connected to a VAC secured server.
  • Is responding to in-game drop notifications while not utilizing external programs to do so.
  • Is running only one instance of the game.
  • Is not in textmode.
And there is a playtime limit for receiving drops that's like around 10 hours (unless you haven't played the previous week before the item drop reset, which makes it up to 20 hours), I was wondering if time spent in menus counts towards your item drop playtime or if it's only if you're actively playing? I'm wondering cause I was curious if all the time waiting in a menu to join a server basically means you're cutting into your possible item drop playtime because you can't earn drops (except for a possible one from starting the game up) but it still counts towards the limit because you're still "playing" the game, or if there's a timer that only starts once you're in the conditions to actually receive item drops.
I know that the code and stuff is only known by Valve, but I'm wondering if anyone has collected any data to make some sort of assumption on it, like the estimates that were made on the item drop wikia page? Give me your thoughts if you have any.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I was curious if all the time waiting in a menu to join a server basically means you're cutting into your possible item drop playtime
At first glance, it seems to me, that If you're waiting to join a server, then you do not meet the first criteria from your list above:

Is connected to a VAC secured server.

Asriel Dreemunov

Scarcely Lethal Noob
At first glance, it seems to me, that If you're waiting to join a server, then you do not meet the first criteria from your list above:

Is connected to a VAC secured server.
Indeed. So you're not able to get items if you're in the menu.
But what I'm asking is if that still cuts into the playtime cap that makes it so you stop finding items when you reach it, because it is not specified if it only goes up if you meet the criteria to receive item drops or not. It just says

The system has a cap on the amount of playtime in which drops can occur. This cap has been estimated to be 10 hours each week. Playing beyond the cap will not yield additional items
The word "playtime" is going to be a bit vague on this subject when time in menus counts for the total time you played the game on Steam for every single game.

Last edited:

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I would guess the clock wouldn't be running unless you are connected to a VAC secured server, using in game menu while connected to the server would count as time 'played'. Just a guess though.

Asriel Dreemunov

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I would guess the clock wouldn't be running unless you are connected to a VAC secured server, using in game menu while connected to the server would count as time 'played'. Just a guess though.
That's alright, guesses are really all that can be done since Valve doesn't really tell us how that code works beyond those few criteria. I do think there could be a way to get a more accurate estimate, though, if you measure how much time you spend in menus and how much time you spend playing the game and see if you still get items past the estimated 10 hours with both times combined, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to do that myself since it seems like it could be a bit time consuming.
If anyone reading this would be willing to try it out, please let me know, or post about it yourself.
Thanks for your input though. If it does work this way it would be relieving that we're not losing chances to get items for the week while we're waiting.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Just leave it in menu overnight while you sleep and see if drops take place after 10 hrs.