Reporter

Administrator
Some Tid-Bits On Improving Your Server Experience For Users
[](/goodjob) I want to preface this by saying that I've been on a lot of community servers lately, due to... SOME changes. I think we all know what.

Anyways, I've been on a lot of servers, some good, some bad, some that I've blacklisted and will never visit again.

The point is, if you want your server to be successful, I can at least provide some advice. While I don't know how it would affect you server side, I do know that on the player side, the experience would be much improved.

**Point 1: Vote-Kicking is a requirement.**

Okay, look, I get it. We've all been vote-kicked for bullshit reasons. It's a rather exploitable system and alternatives help.

The problem is when there's a *very obvious* aimbotter/troll in the serer, ruining everyone's experience and the users have no way to deal with them.

And calling for an admin? Never works. I waited for **20 minutes** after calling an admin once. Nothing. The fucking script kiddie left before any admins actually came in and sorted the situation.

This, as you might expect, was incredibly frustrating. We had *multiple* players confirm it was an aimbot, up to and including insta-headshotting a cloaked Spy. And of course, nobody was competent enough to take my idea of "Danger Shield + Bullet Vacc", because competency is beyond people.

Anyway, even if it would inevitably fail, a votekick option would be great. Then at least users would have *some* power to kick bottom feeders like that. Agh.

**Point 2: Goddamnit, why are there so many fucking cp_orange servers?**

Okay, so this has been a whole separate rant that I've been meaning to make for a while, but it's relevant here. As of right now, [there are over **333** servers that run the map cp_orange.](http://i.imgur.com/Zz9UMVo.png)

Now, I know that personal taste is a thing and there's like, 50 billion versions of cp_orange, but holy fuck that's excessive. *especially* considering that only about *half* of those servers actually have players in. (Even then, most of those have less than 10 players.)

I mean, I haven't quite played *every single variation* of cp_orange, so I don't know if the map actually gets any better once you get onto cp_orange_z32_final_fixed or whatever. But there's so many servers that *exclusively* run cp_orange, while finding a server that runs most vanilla maps is nigh impossible (Barring popular maps like koth_harvest_final, ctf_2fort and plr_hightower).
[](/sp)

[](/scootashrug) Honestly, with there being an open market for vanilla servers, most of these could be converted into Valve-esque servers and get *fuck tons* of traffic. Well, it depends on if they...

**Point 3: Cut the bullshit.**

Look, most people who want to play a vanilla TF2 map *probably* also don't want to be covered in gimmicks either. People just want to play the damn game, without shit like !rtd, cosmetic bullshit like !robot or even *class limits.*

Which are a good idea in theory, but come on, if you're going to replicate a Valve server, we *need* 5 more Snipers on our team. We just *do.* Not to mention that during my time in one of these "class limit" servers, I was unceremoniously kicked out of using Spy, despite the fact that I was *contributing quite a lot* to the team. It genuinely frustrated me, because it forced me to be a class that I didn't want to be, even if it was fair.

I dunno, probably just feel a bit cheated by that sort of system. It's rare to see though.

Regardless, keep your damn server clean of pointless crap. While shit like !rtd may seem "cool", most people don't want to bother with it, because it adds another luck element to the game and if you're going to play the game *semi* seriously, you probably would be pissed if you lost because someone rolled noclip and spawn-camped you for 5 minutes straight.

That and it's available on most gimmick servers like the previously mentioned cp_orange servers. Which to be fair, mostly appeal to the younger demographic of the game. And that's where it *should* stay.

Now, before I end this off, I do appreciate how varied TF2's servers are and just how many different ways there are to play it. This is why I haven't mentioned Deathrun, VSH, x10, or Randomizer servers. Because they're fun to dick around in.

What **would** be more appreciated however, is a wider range of vanilla servers, ala Skial or (*ugh*) UGC-Gaming (Barring their complete horseshit of a swear filter that is. Honestly, cut that out and you'd have a dedicated player in me.) that don't shoehorn pointless crap in.

Of course, these are just suggestions from a pub player who needs a pub server to fuck around in. Feel free to ignore these, as I've had terrible ideas in the past.

[](/snowfallfrost)Or I could be on to something. Fuck if I know, I was just bored and decided to whack this long winded rant about how there needs to be more fuckin' vanilla servers.

Author: Hclegend

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/4vlnkk/some_tidbits_on_improving_your_server_experience/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comment...ving_your_server_experience/?ref=search_posts