PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So today I've figured out that my 5 years old Gateway's keyboard got really old (considering all beer, wine and whiskey that got split on it). Long story short I've ended up in Microcenter browsing for a new keyboard.
My major requirements were:
  1. Wrist rest;
  2. Volume Control;
  3. Backlight.
  4. Wired.
2 hour of fucking browsing and terrifying Microcenter's representative ended up in buying Logitech G510 keyboard (it was not that easy to find wired keyboard, I have to tell you).
So I paid $130 for this keyboard, brought it home and started playing with all its features. Below are my conclusions:

PROS.
  • Great profiling feature. You can set up 3 profiles with fire buttons and up to unlimited number of backlight colors for your keyboard.
u0jdr.jpg

• Perfect sound control. This roller on the right hand side is awesome. It allows you precisely manage the volume of your sound.
U27dj.jpg

• Removable wrist-rest. Nice stuff, even though my palm doesn't feel comfortable while hitting AWSD - it's way too short for me.
  • Awesome LCD. Allowing you to decide what info would you like to see on your keyboard's LID. Performance Monitor (showing CPU and RAM usage and Media applets are my favorite.
T1dEh.jpg

• Game Mode. Absolutely MUST HAVE for a gamer. Simple switch allows you to tweak a keyboard in a game mode preventing any possible unwanted Windows keystrokes (like ALT+TAB, WIN+D, and so on):
D7J74.jpg

• Built-in audio and mic ports. I liked that real bad, especially considering the fact that you can disable either of them by on click:
w56lZ.jpg

• Absolute freedom in managing your own macros', scripts, shortcuts...:
JwH9o.jpg

CONS.
  • Additional software that needs to be installed in order to manage profiles.
  • Profiles set up through software don't work sometimes.
  • All these "G" keys are unusual - user will have to get used to additional 9 keys on the left side. It's hard. Trust me.
  • Incline sucks. Keyboard has only one incline position. For keyboard of price like that it should've had at least 3 positions.
Synopsis: Must have. Great keyboard. Just don't buy it in Microcenter ($130), or BestBuy ($110), or Newegg ($100). Buy it at Amazon.

lpN

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Id buy it just for the LCD display. and yeah i totally feel your pain looking for a wired keyboard at a retail store.

vintageWasabi

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
My old keyboard was a Steel Series Merc Stealth and i really enjoyed that keyboard. Wish i still had it.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Fuck macro keys.
Kudos here.
DOES IT HAVE LOTS OF UNNECESSARY LIGHTS?
It does. But I really like it about this keyboard.
and yeah i totally feel your pain looking for a wired keyboard at a retail store.
You have no idea... Fuck retail stores. Why didn't I check Amazon in the first place? :D
My old keyboard was a Steel Series Merc Stealth and i really enjoyed that keyboard. Wish i still had it.
I love my old Gateway keyboard. The only reason why I decided to get it replaced is that all keys got greasy and sticky (It's Jack Daniel's fault).

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
That's a nice looking keyboard PsychoRealm. I love MicroCenter... wish they had more of 'em around.

My keyboard is actually a piece of crap and I love it that way. $20 microsoft media one. I'll spend wads of money on a mouse but have yet to plunge myself into the keyboard world. I hope to change that soon.

I kinda want a mechanical... cherry red or brown keys. Wru christmas?

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't get it... What's so special about this keyboard that its price is $100... Looks like a cheap Inland keyboard to me...

For people like me, I don't like all the little doohickeys - I like just a simple keyboard, but it's very well made. It's supposed to last for like 20 years - you can feel the difference when you press a single key.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
For people like me, I don't like all the little doohickeys - I like just a simple keyboard, but it's very well made. It's supposed to last for like 20 years - you can feel the difference when you press a single key.
Not a big fan of all extra buttons either. I'd prefer G510 not having all these G-buttons. But I do like some functionality buttons, I have to admit.

Raccoon99

Epic Skial Regular
I changed my mind about getting the steel series 6gv2 And I am going to get The Unicomp Classic 104 Black Buckling Spring PS2 Keyboard. My family Used to have a Buckling spring keyboard while we had our old Windows XP computer.

Irish

Gore-Spattered Heavy
G15 user for about 4 years I guess now. Keyboard still going strong. The macro keys have made chat trading for TF2 much easier.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
this is my keyboard
dell_keyboard_11.jpg

i have no need for that hot key stuff. This does everything i need it to for 99% of my games.

Reactions: Zoey