Astir

Legendary Skial King
It is possible for svchost.exe to be a virus, I had it once.
I'd recommend using norton power eraser, or NPE. I do not remember it interfering with steam though.
https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx
60rHUuh.png
I am at my student house, and everything else that is internet-related and/or server based runes fine (Origin, TS, LoL).

Astir

Legendary Skial King
So I ran malwarebytes and he found 19 items which I ordered him to remove. Should I post the log somewhere?

Also when I start up my computer, sometimes Google Chrome opens the following website;
Code:
https://fbcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/hellocdn.html?v=1
What is it and could it be related?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So I ran malwarebytes and he found 19 items which I ordered him to remove. Should I post the log somewhere?

Also when I start up my computer, sometimes Google Chrome opens the following website;
Code:
https://fbcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/hellocdn.html?v=1
What is it and could it be related?
Since Skype seems to depend on IE settings, could you:
  • Hit Win+R, type "%Temp%", hit ENTER and delete everything in TEMP folder;
  • Delete IE cache, history, everything:
Th3DoQM.png

• Reset IE: IE > Tools > Internet options > Advanced settings;
LSfc5dM.png

• Make sure there is no proxy set up in IE settings:
X7zmJkM.png

Astir

Legendary Skial King
Done everything, except in the temp folder I get error that files cannot be deleted because they are in use.
Tpg3tmF.png

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
  • Try adding /legacylogin to the shortcut. Example:
fRAtVo9.png

• Try creating new Skype login and see if it works.

In regards to screensharind session - I would have helped if I knew when I would have time for it.. Busy with settling up in my new house.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
And the last thing to try:
  • Try to start your Windows in "Safe mode with networking".
    • Restart your computer.
    • Repeatedly tap F8 as you boot.
    • Select option "Safe mode with networking".
  • Run Skype.
  • What happens?
  • Restart the PC to Normal mode and re-run Skype.
  • What happens?

Astir

Legendary Skial King

Astir

Legendary Skial King
Skype does work in safe mode with networking. However it doesn't after reboot in normal mode.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Skype does work in safe mode with networking. However it doesn't after reboot in normal mode.
  • Re-installing IE didn't help?
  • Have you tried creating a new Skype account and logging in using it?
  • I'd also try reinstalling Java since it's being sued by both, Skype and Steam.

Regarding log files - looks like debug log is being generated in proprietary format and could be read by MS Skype support only. I'd suggest opening a ticket with them. Considering the fact that I personally ran out of any possible troubleshooting steps that would be the way to proceed (or re-install the OS).

Astir

Legendary Skial King
Want to know something? IT WORKS!

THANK YOU PSYCHO, GOD OF THE TECH SECTION

However I have not the slightest idea what did eventually make it work. But hey, Steam works aswell! Thank you man, really.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Here's what I also found:

• Go into Safe Mode with Networking look at which services are running and write them down.
  • Restart in normal mode click start then run and type msconfig
  • In msconfig you can disable the services one by one.
  • Just check the services that you have wrote down and restart the computer.
  • Your computer will restart loading only those services (the same ones Safe Mode with Networking uses)
  • Check if the issue persists.

Astir

Legendary Skial King
Never mind, after calling for 4 minutes we are back where we started. Steam stopped working, I can't hit the end call button on Skype either. I choose Close Skype in the system tray, after which the window closed. Now the system tray says Signed off, the call window/pop-up window has disappeared but I am still calling.

GG Skype.