OldKing

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I came back after thinking I quit, and its been made vocal at the recent map "update" that it wasn't an improvement.
Why not go back to the older maps? the safe zone is unneeded, but that's irrelevant. the more variety of areas for the map the better, like the older ones, and it added things to do while you were stuck trading.
Not salty, just surprised that this would be the map to replace the older ones.
Cheers!

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Statistics shows players really like trade_plaza styled maps, I did my best to make it as visually unique to portal as possible without straying too far from the core layout plan of the map.

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I loved V9 for the room to jetpack, but it was too big, and always seemed empty.

but as one of the most hated people on trade US, I am fine with the current map though I loved other larger versions that had most of what made trade portal, trade portal, like that one platform up high in the middle of the map.

I don't mind the changes, it makes the saferoom a bar, and puts cubes outside the door, nothing major like the sniper box.

OldKing

Contributor
Statistics shows players really like trade_plaza styled maps, I did my best to make it as visually unique to portal as possible without straying too far from the core layout plan of the map.

With the old map, it used to be hard to actually get on US, it was a sought after place to be, I'm sure there's some statistics you can see about player activity.
As least go to the server and ask people. I'm sure you'll get answers or at least closure.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
With the old map, it used to be hard to actually get on US, it was a sought after place to be, I'm sure there's some statistics you can see about player activity.
As least go to the server and ask people. I'm sure you'll get answers or at least closure.
The server is either 32/32 or 30/32 near all hours of the day and well into the night, if the map was truly such an issue people wouldn't be playing on it and measures to bring them back would have been taken

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
2020-02-08-13-06-06-Stats.png

Chart of the server's population for just this week, the higher the chart reads, the higher amount of players; max being 33. No population issues here.

OldKing

Contributor
2020-02-08-13-06-06-Stats.png

Chart of the server's population for just this week, the higher the chart reads, the higher amount of players; max being 33. No population issues here.

Either way, at least come in and ask the regulars about their opinions on it, I'm sure you'll get some more insight

I think you're missing the human aspect of this

Bottiger

Administrator
The server was dying on the old map. That's why we changed it.

The server is not as full as it was in the glory days over 3 years ago, but it is pretty close.

There is just about as much to do on this map than the old trade portal maps. There's even a working spycrab arena.

Wandering off to your own corner where no one can see you is not something we want to encourage and I doubt it entertained many people.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I think you're missing the human aspect of this
Human aspect? Folks I've asked are fine with it, people who had issues I've taken their feedback and fixed issues in the map that they pointed out.

If players didn't like it, the server wouldn't be filling. As I said earlier,

if the map was truly such an issue people wouldn't be playing on it and measures to bring them back would have been taken

There will always be people who don't like a server's map, cannot cater to everyone unfortunately.

Bottiger has a good point about the old trade portal maps, they were ridiculously large with very little to warrant their existence. Server would look empty/low pop if no one was using chat or voice because of how large it was.

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I can bet you any amount of money that if we opened two Identical trade servers other than the fact that one will run v9 aka the largest map in Trade's existence and the other runs the current map, that the current map server will have more people than the v9 server.