Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What were some issues from the last attempt at running a tournamant?
What kind of tournament elimination style should be used if it were to be run?
Should a possible tournament be 6's, highlander or something else?
What resources would you find helpful if you were a team captain?
What maps would you like to see?

(I will be a secretary all over stuff if you guys need/want my services if we were to run a tournament)
(lol i dunno if it would happen but yay! I wanted the first thread to be on-topic!)

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
why not run an advert in chat like what happened with the contests.
"join Skial's Radical INSERT TOURNAMENT FORMAT HERE Tournament. Win hat"

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
but then we get a bunch of poopy players nobody knows.
Maybe we could advertise a desire for full teams to join? "Get you and 8 of your friends!'
We could also set up a little thread round here for small groups to look for ringers for slots or to merge with other small teams to make whole teams.

Hopefully that way the only people that would need to worry about player show-up-ness would be the team captain.

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
http://www.skial.com/threads/skial-friendly-6v6-thingy.7470/

Last time this was attempted it almost took off, some of the reasons it didn't were:-
  • No dedication, people just mindlessly signed up without knowing how 6v6 worked
  • IRL issues, jobs, exams etc
  • No communication, there was a couple of scrims although not everybody had a mic
  • Lack of map knowledge of new maps at the time such as cp_gullywash
  • Un-addressed issues for european players such as time zone, but changing it too early meant some NA players couldn't compete.
I think this will be really cool if it actually took of. If it did i'd recommend keeping to NA first with exceptions for some EU players who can manage the time and anther one for EU players if enough give interest.

Reactions: Staying_Classy

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
We should make a EU v US Highlander exhibition first, Cinic v Samochka, who wouldn't want to see that? : )

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
http://www.skial.com/threads/skial-friendly-6v6-thingy.7470/

Last time this was attempted it almost took off, some of the reasons it didn't were:-
  • No dedication, people just mindlessly signed up without knowing how 6v6 worked
  • IRL issues, jobs, exams etc
  • No communication, there was a couple of scrims although not everybody had a mic
  • Lack of map knowledge of new maps at the time such as cp_gullywash
  • Un-addressed issues for european players such as time zone, but changing it too early meant some NA players couldn't compete.
I think this will be really cool if it actually took of. If it did i'd recommend keeping to NA first with exceptions for some EU players who can manage the time and anther one for EU players if enough give interest.

1. hm. maybe have a preseason to weed out the weak? Also, given the casual nature of the tourney i'm not surprised that people didn't know how 6s worked. :P
2. Possibly having a set day/time schedule for matches drawn up ahead of time would allow for more time to find subs? Or to at least allow for people to know if they could or could not commit.
3. meeeeh. We aren't cereal enough I don't think to really have a rage boner over people not having or being able to use mics. It makes everything harder but...
4. Maybe we could run a stock map rotation? Now that we have a lobby server there is a way to get practice on unknown maps in the targeted comp play setup.
5. #2 might address this issue. Also, if the match server was the east coast server we might be okay for having a few eu bros in a NA tourney.

Bopper

Uncharitable Spy
What were some issues from the last attempt at running a tournamant?
What kind of tournament elimination style should be used if it were to be run?
Should a possible tournament be 6's, highlander or something else?
What resources would you find helpful if you were a team captain?
What maps would you like to see?

(I will be a secretary all over stuff if you guys need/want my services if we were to run a tournament)
(lol i dunno if it would happen but yay! I wanted the first thread to be on-topic!)
1. People didn't keep their time differences/availabilities in mind when they signed up for the first 6v6 tournament. Also the tourny was building as we picked teams and we're trying to schedule matches ect.
2. If there are a lot of teams and we wont to knock this thing out over a weekend then, single elimination. If not then double elimination.
3. Dedication became a real problem, so the less people on the team the easier it will be to manage, so I will recommend 6s OR the "something else" could be an MGE tournament. Would be a lot easier to manage teams of 1. Also 2v2 BBall.
4. What is this, I don't even..
5. If the tournament is 6s then I suggest the ESEA S11 map list (obviously):
- cp_badlands
- koth_pro_viaduct_rc3
- cp_warmfront
- cp_snakewater
- cp_gullywash_final1
- cp_process_b5
- cp_gravelpit
- cp_granary

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
We should make a EU v US Highlander exhibition first, Cinic v Samochka, who wouldn't want to see that? : )
Cinic vs Samochka would be awesome to watch, although I think Samochka would win though. But then again, how good is ol' Cinic?

N.P.P Styx

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Cinic vs Samochka would be awesome to watch, although I think Samochka would win though. But then again, how good is ol' Cinic?
Old man's been slacking.
And Samochka just spawncamps.
She'd still probably win, though.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
1. People didn't keep their time differences/availabilities in mind when they signed up for the first 6v6 tournament. Also the tourny was building as we picked teams and we're trying to schedule matches ect.
2. If there are a lot of teams and we wont to knock this thing out over a weekend then, single elimination. If not then double elimination.
3. Dedication became a real problem, so the less people on the team the easier it will be to manage, so I will recommend 6s OR the "something else" could be an MGE tournament. Would be a lot easier to manage teams of 1. Also 2v2 BBall.
4. What is this, I don't even..
5. If the tournament is 6s then I suggest the ESEA S11 map list (obviously):
3. I like the idea of an mge or bball tournament. There would be less set up time and fewer ways for games to be delayed. (ALSO MOR PEOPLE NEED TO MGE, IT HELPS ALL YO SKILLS)
1. If we were to run a small competition that involved something small like a 2v2 bball do you think it would be a good idea to schedule matches well in advance or instead to populate brackets the day of the event? On one hand people would have a better idea of when exactly they would be playing, on the other hand there's less likelihood of free passes because someone didn't show.
4. Like availabilty to an mge server to practice or a password protected server to do some dry runs on for shiggles. That sort of thing.
5. This, this right here is why I think you're the comp play fairy godmother. Thanks much for the list :-)
Wouldn't people complain about the ping with a US vs EU tournament?
yup. thats why you don't do one.
If it were a 'celebrity' match you could do a best of 3 maps with the 'home' team picking the map played.
The third map could be voted for by the community and the server it's played in could be decided by a coin toss OR you could do 2 halves one half in each region.
It can be done fairly :-)