★Kru¢кяaos™★

Uncharitable Spy
Hey guys,

As some of you might know, Im living in Hong Kong, Asia currently. I noticed that alot of people who are playing in US29 servers have high pings, as well as some of my friends. I get like 150 ping everytime i play there. But I was just wondering, Skial, can you host some servers in Asia? A small part of the skial community comes from Asia. And I would love to see servers hosted in these cities : Hong Kong (As the main server location), Singapore (Secondary), Japan(Tokyo and Hokaido), India (Mumbai), Australia (Sydney, Melbourne), New Zealand (Christ Church, Auckland).

Sinnx

Wicked Nasty Engineer
hey, I'm playing from the Philippines right now, I average about 250 ping and I frequent "the Bowl". I barely experience lag from my end but what i want to know (since i know nothing bout ping/ms/latency)is, does my high ping cause issues for the server or for the other people playing? I wouldn't want to be deterring anyone's fun if that's the issue.

Bottiger

Administrator
A ping of 150 isn't horrible. Though if you live in Hong Kong that is really good ping for our US servers in Chicago. I would have expected you to have a ping of 200. If you visit our servers in Los Angeles (USW), that should give you 50 ms less ping.

Here are the problems with Asian servers.
  • Bandwidth between countries there is very expensive.
    • Instead of 10 megabytes/second, you will probably get 1 megabytes/second. This is barely enough for 2-3 TF2 maps, and cost efficient servers hold about 8-10. Here is an example of a host in Indonesia which offers 256 kbs guaranteed and 375 kbs maximum international speeds.
    • Even if a host does not say there are ridiculously low international bandwidth limits like this, you can be sure that they do exist.
  • Cables crossing the ocean are really expensive. This means if you get a server in Australia, expect sluggish speeds to Hong Kong.
  • Servers are more expensive. There isn't as many people needing servers there, and the people that really need it can afford to pay a lot more than us, and they know it.
If you know of any affordable asian/australian hosts feel free to let me know and maybe we could try.

Reactions: Doki