CallMeBubblesDahling

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Although I'm 26, I'm still a somewhat old man in many ways. And while I was born in the wrong time, I should put some effort into acting my age, not driving a Volvo, and an old man's Mercedes in a cardigan while being defeated by a new phone and just about anything with a touch screen.

Anyway, this whole Minecraft thing looks entertaining and like something I'd possibly enjoy. So I thought I'd ask what specifically people like about the game. Obviously the building things with pixel blocks is the main thing, but what specifically do y'all like building? Is there a learning curve? If so, how bad is it? What are the downsides, and there are always a few, and things similar.

Help an old man out eh.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
Once you get past crafting -- basic or otherwise -- it's all pretty simple to digest. The wiki's your friend.

Myself personally, I can't do multiplayer. Latency makes combat too difficult and most servers have overpopulated or overbuilt spawn areas that I have to walk for days to escape and get my own thing going. That said, MP mode seems to draw plenty of folks so if company's what you're after there's no shortage.

Singleplayer mode is where the game shines for me. I pick something like large biomes and either build something grand above-ground or elaborate systems below-ground. That or drown villagers. You make your own little hole in the ground or solid gold phallus tower to spit from, then smear paintings and furniture all over the insides.

Once that's over you generally go about making a farm or getting raw materials. Often both. There's a lot of joy to be found running around pre-dug mines. Hopping over lava pits, coming across veins of diamond ore, finding cocoa beans in an abandoned chest and deciding now's the time to bake some damn cookies, etc.

The short answer is yes, it's worth the asking price.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The only bad thing is the average player of that game is like 7. And they act it.

Don't really have a recommendation for single player mode.

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
You could hop on TS and join the Skial server. We'd try to avoid killing you, at least some of us would (maybe not Pinker or Seth)
Honestly, it's easy to learn but worth any amount of time you spend figuring it out. I still haven't figured out redstone (redstone 2stronk) and it'll take me a while to try, but it can make some pretty awesome things. I'll show a couple videos to you after I get home from school, just to show you some redstone stuff
Or you could, you know, build things that make you proud that you've taken the time to gather the resources

The only bad thing is the average player of that game is like 7. And they act it.
Most of us that play on the Skial server and get on TS are probably older than seven, not that you can tell by listening to us bicker

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Minecraft is only fun when you have absolutely nothing else to do. Even then, i got bored of it very quickly.

Pinker-tan

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Minecraft can get very boring after a while . Unless you can find a server with very mature players you're going to be playing with 8 year Olds that are really annoying.

sov

Legendary Skial King
I played it before, the singleplayer is fun.

I think that you should try it out, you seem like someone who would enjoy it. It's for anyone of any age. Just watch some videos on the internet to get an idea of how to build your house, etc.

fluf

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
i personally play it every now and again when i have nothing else to do.
it's gets boring after a while because you can do most of the stuff pretty easy

CallMeBubblesDahling

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Well if I do end up getting it, which I probably will now, I'll have to start adding people to play with in order to keep the multiplayer aspect at least somewhat enjoyable haha. I really appreciate the honesty about the pluses and minuses, y'all have been helpful in influencing what I end up doing.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It is fun, but I do not recommend you playing with other players on a public server. I recommend you make your own server and play with friends.

Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Unfortunately, I do not have ANY artistic or creative sense, I can only create a beautiful work of art when someone does it for me and I copy from them. This is why Minecraft is not my game, I can't create anything good, I can create a big box, slap windows on it and call it home.
It works, but it doesn't look nice.
I'd do anything to be as artistic as some of the any minecrafters out there.
I can't do cool things with redstone, I can't make nice look structures, I can't draw on the map, nothing.
Minecraft just isn't for me.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
TL;DR Gotta be creative as fuck to play minecraft and have fun]
Unfortunately, I do not have ANY artistic or creative sense, I can only create a beautiful work of art when someone does it for me and I copy from them. This is why Minecraft is not my game, I can't create anything good, I can create a big box, slap windows on it and call it home.
It works, but it doesn't look nice.
I'd do anything to be as artistic as some of the any minecrafters out there.
I can't do cool things with redstone, I can't make nice look structures, I can't draw on the map, nothing.
Minecraft just isn't for me.
Make a big box.
Add a bunch of staircases to make it round.
Spam paintings and windows until someone compliments it.
/tutorial

The game lacks any worthwhile objectives, so the potential enjoyment is solely based on your own desire to be amused.

Myself, I wasted so many hours creating my empire of Oil, Fuel and whores on a isolated island. I had a blast.