Should FAGGOT be banned like NIGGER

Discussion in 'Trash' started by Cream Tea, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
?

Should Faggot be against the rules like Nigger

1. No grow some balls

29 vote(s)
    87.9%
  2. Yes I am triggered

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Cream Tea

Cream Tea Legendary Skial King Legendary Mapper

Steam:

Let's actually discuss this in suggestions.

I think faggot should still be allowed, smoking is bad but I wouldn't stop people from talking about cigarettes.

Answer the poll.

2. Metroidz

Metroidz Server-Clearing Cynic

Steam:

Great way to put two obscene words in all caps so they're on the front page.

High class post as usual there Cream Tea.

3. Cream Tea

Steam:

My threads are always of top quality. This brings genuine discussion to a topic that has been floating for a while.

4. san7890

san7890 Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

Waiting for this to sink to the depths of unmod.

If you are genuine, - 1

• Like Like x 1
  5. KillerZebra

KillerZebra Forum Admin Contributor

Steam:

lmfao... no

6. Mentalpatient

Mentalpatient Mildly Menacing Medic

Both are used in a derogatory fashion, one is accepted, the other isn't. Who knows why. We can only assume the vast majority of skial players are heterosexual and don't care.

7. JohnnyGaloshes

JohnnyGaloshes Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Reported

8. Metroidz

Steam:

Don't assume people's sexuality you straight-ggot.

9. Antamania

Antamania Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

Absolutely not. "Fag" or variations of it are pretty general online insults. People use them all the time. Would be a hard, annoying, pointless thing to enforce.

10. shoooooooooooooooo

shoooooooooooooooo Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

idk antamania i dont think op was exactly expecting real responses

11. JayDee

JayDee Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

i think cream tea should be banned

12. Antamania

Steam:

Why not engage in good faith even when the other person isn't? People who were thinking of making the same suggestion may read this thread and see some good counter-arguments and change their mind.

13. Blade D_Hero

Blade D_Hero Trade Moderator Contributor

Steam:

While this is a joke thread, seeing people argue for the allowance of the word "faggot" solely because "oh that's how it's always been and we shouldn't ban simple trash talk" is the worst argument possible. It's a very derogatory slur both online and in real life, and while "nigger" may seem worse just because it's a racial slur, you're likely to catch the same flak for saying "faggot" (at least from what I've personally witnessed and read).

The only people who regularly use the term "faggot" on our servers are people whose sole purpose is to have a toxic presence on whatever server they're playing on. I know because I play with them and it's rather annoying seeing the chat flooded with variants of "DIE you dumb faggot," yet if the same person solely dropped the word "nigger" with nothing attached to it in chat they'd be silenced.

My argument is that we won't lose anyone of value if we start silencing for the word "faggot," mostly because the vast majority of players don't even use that word, with those who do making up the "toxic asshole" demographic. There's so many other ways to trash talk without normalizing the use of slurs, let's let creativity flourish in our in-game chat. I'd much rather see someone come up with something like "degenerate asswipe" instead of "faggot."

14. JayDee

JayDee Gaben's Own Aimbot Contributor

Steam:

excuse me im not toxic and i think faggot should be allowed

15. Antamania

Steam:

If you're using faggot to disparage someone for being gay, they already get banned. It's not something I use, but it's something I see quite often. There are plenty of features in the game to deal with people without needing to police every single slur that's used. I don't agree that it's a very derogatory slur, context matters with it. People refer to their friends all the time in that matter. Perhaps you live in a more liberal area than I do, but I don't think if I said fag in a public space anyone would really care, whereas if I said the other thing, they would.

Are we banning "cunt" because sometimes it is used specifically to insult a woman? It just seems stupid to disregard the context of how things are used.

16. RMSniper

RMSniper TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

If you’re gonna ban faggot, you better be prepared to ban “retard”, “stupid”, “cunt”, “bitch”, etc. Again, if we are going to try to maintain a strong community presence as long as we can, disallowing those with small dicks to overcompensate by calling someone a rude word isn’t going to help. Just gotta man/woman up. *shrug*

• Like Like x 1
  17. Metroidz

Steam:

Additionally mute has been a built in function in TF2 since forever. It's comically easy to block shit talkers in video games.

18. Blade D_Hero

Blade D_Hero Trade Moderator Contributor

Steam:

I can probably count on one hand the amount of times someone has been banned for the use of homophobic slurs, and it's entirely because we normalized that type of behavior by only punishing for racial slurs.

It definitely is a very derogatory slur, and while it may not be in your neck of the woods, try saying it in a public/professional setting and not catching flak for it. People have lost their jobs just as easily for saying "faggot" as they have for saying "nigger." I also find it funny that you said people call their friends "faggot" all the time like that makes it okay. Shitty people call their friends "niggers" too, it doesn't justify the use of a slur.
    Literally none of those are slurs.

It's comically easy to silence someone whose being racist over the mic, but it's still against the rules to be racist. Why allow a word that basically exists solely to disparage a minority group?

I don't give a shit about being trash-talked in game, but it is kinda concerning that so many people are normalizing behavior solely because "it's a game." Nobody here would say it's cool to call random people on the streets "faggots," so I don't understand the thought process

19. Cream Tea

Steam:

@Blade D_Hero who you calling joke thread.

You want a good counter argument?

As @RMSniper said might as well ban all bad words in fact you might as well just disable chat because tf2 is quite a competitive game so expect some competitive language to be used.

In Britain it's quite normalised to call people faggots if they are being faggots, but they are not "random people", they are people behaving like faggots so deserve to be described as such.

However if you said nigger to someone on the streets you might as well be requesting free amateur denture removals.

20. Antamania

Steam:

I really don't hear of anyone calling their friend "niggers". My point is that whether you agree or disagree, it's normalized. And why exactly isn't "cunt" considered a slur? You could absolutely make the same argument you have with faggot against cunt. I really don't think it's a wise thing to start banning relatively normal slurs on top of the big bad ones. I've always felt the only things that should be policed are things that the regular player could not possibly deal with, or someone being abundantly toxic. The more things you start banning people for, the smaller your player base gets. Some of the reasons people choose skial is because they don't have to worry about saying the wrong word and what not.

The crux of my argument: N word = universally shamed. Faggot = not. That's literally my entire argument.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice