Bottiger

Administrator
mWMgu9E.jpg

Effective immediately we are removing the rules regarding racism and discrimination.

We believe it would be better for the people on the server to decide for themselves whether someone is being racist and whether they deserve to be muted. You can take matters into your own hand by using !votemenu to mute the offender or to use a client mute.

Over the past few years, we've received some complaints that felt we were too strict, and some people even left to create their own community because of this. By putting the decision in the hands of people in the server, there will hopefully be no more complaints about being too strict or having to decide whether someone is trying to be racist or not.

We have had the rule for a very long time because when we started, it was one of the most common complaints that people made to our admins. While this is not the case anymore, it could be because people knew about the rule. But we will see how this works out.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does this mean you allow racism?
A: No, it just means that players like you are the judge, jury, and executioner for these cases, instead of relying on 1 player or admin to make subjective decisions.

Q: Does this mean racism is allowed on the forums?
A: No. Forum rules are separate from server rules. https://www.skial.com/threads/forum-rules.582/

Q: Why not just allow people to say "n*gga" and keep the racism rule?
A: This was originally how the rule was. What we saw happen was that people that were probably racist just changed to using "ga" instead of "ger" and kept talking like they usually did claiming that the way they spelled it meant it wasn't racist. They also kept making random excuses why they weren't really racist. Such as "I am just quoting a rap song" or that despite repeatedly saying "die n*ggas" and "shut up n*gga" that they were being racist even though it annoyed people enough to report them to us.

The problem was that if we decided "n*gga" wasn't inherently racist, then why would just adding single words like die and shutup to it would change it? It was rather obvious that these people were trying to be racist as they were more blatant about it before we added the rules. But it was just not possible to make a clear set of rules that drew the line between what was an acceptable use of "n*gga" or not, which is why we banned all forms of the word up until now.

Some people felt that was too strict, so now we will let the players decide. If the players decide, there should be no more issues complaining that we are too strict but at the same time, you can still punish people for being racist. This should hopefully be the solution that works for the largest number of players.

Image by P0nyStark

Last edited:

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I can understand this change, but I do not agree with it.

Discouraging racism in a community helps the community grow, as its members can feel much more welcome. Obviously there is the inherent issue of people not reading the rules and being silenced because they broke a rule they didn't care to read, but that's more their fault, and shouldn't be a reason to change such a long standing rule.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'd like to point out that if a vote does not pass, do not keep triggering a votemenu over and over again.
If the server does not agree to mute someone then you can use the in-game mute option, or !ignore.
The in-game mute option covers both chat and voice (and I believe it will remember across sessions).
The !ignore option, when typed in chat followed by a name/part of it - will stop you hearing their voicechat.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
Were they all lifted automatically from sourcebans or do we manually lift them when someone appeals
Anything with "racism" as the silence reason and permanent as the length has already been lifted. 1mo and shorter ones are still active.
You can let those elapse or go through them and lift them if you really want to. Bott might just get those later, anyway.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Does this also mean previous racism offenses are no longer counted when giving new punishments

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I believe
hud_saytext_time 0
hides chat

hud_saytext_time 13 is the default to unhide it

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
What's the point in staying on a server if you have to mute a large number of players on the client side? A big part of the game is team communication, so I'm sure a lot of people are going to migrate to other servers while Skial descends to Neon Heights 2.0 as the rules get more and more absurd. Now you can shout the N word all you want, but you can't say you're doing a scrap 2 unusual? That's just stupid.