JososaJumper

Unremarkable User
Player Name:
CORVETT2 ⏳UnusAnnus
ID:
STEAM_0:0:121321640
Detailed Explanation / Screenshots / Demos:
Sharked me once when I was selling a strange feathered fiend, he bought it off me for a garlic flank steak, He knew that the garlic flank steak was worth less than the strange feathered fiend since he had sent me URL directly to the prices on backpack.tf. here is the trade history
8 May, 2020
12:16am
You traded with CORVETT2 ⏳UnusAnnus.
+
Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Refined Metal, Garlic Flank Stake

''la patea culos'', Strange Feathered Fiend, ''Do you like pennis?''
then, on 9/05/2020 he tried to shark me again, trying to buy my genuine anger for an unknown monkeynaut, i knew that time that he was trying to shark me so i declined the offer and called him a swindler, and I unfortunately didn't take a screenshot for proof. On that day he further threatened to report me for "being jerk + sharking, enjoy a tradeban", and said he would report me if he saw me on a server again Please take action on this.
Regards, JososaJumper
(yes, I'm 14, and yes i am new to trading)​

JososaJumper

Unremarkable User
tbh i dont know the difference between scamming and sharking yet, can you please tell me what you would classify this as?

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
We don't tag people for sharking. You said:
He knew that the garlic flank steak was worth less than the strange feathered fiend since he had sent me URL directly to the prices on backpack.tf​
Why did you accept the trade if you knew that the value was less? He didn't try to pass the item off as something else by your description, so he really didn't do anything wrong.

tbh i dont know the difference between scamming and sharking yet, can you please tell me what you would classify this as?
In simple terms, scamming occurs when one party either:
(a) Doesn't hold up their end of the bargain (For example, someone saying they'll send you an item after you pay them, then not giving you the item upon payment)
or (b) Trying to lie about an item's quality/history to get you to buy it

Sharking is when one party pays less than an item is worth and actively tries to make you believe the item is worth less. This is easily stopped by looking at an item's value on a third-party site like backpack.tf.

and, can anything be done about this?
Nothing can be done about this aside from using it as a lesson for future trades. You knew enough to check the backpack.tf prices yet accepted the trade anyway, so I don't understand what happened there.

JososaJumper

Unremarkable User

Why did you accept the trade if you knew that the value was less? He didn't try to pass the item off as something else by your description, so he really didn't do anything wrong.

In simple terms, scamming occurs when one party either:
(a) Doesn't hold up their end of the bargain (For example, someone saying they'll send you an item after you pay them, then not giving you the item upon payment)
or (b) Trying to lie about an item's quality/history to get you to buy it

Sharking is when one party pays less than an item is worth and actively tries to make you believe the item is worth less. This is easily stopped by looking at an item's value on a third-party site like backpack.tf.

Nothing can be done about this aside from using it as a lesson for future trades. You knew enough to check the backpack.tf prices yet accepted the trade anyway, so I don't understand what happened there.
on the first trade I had no idea, it wasn't until yesterday that I found out I hod lost a bunch of ref to him, but I understand what you mean

JososaJumper

Unremarkable User
so, when someone gets reported here, what usually happens, do you look at the facts and decide whether the reported user got a trade ban or something? and do you have any advice on trading and dealing with people trying to use me, sorry for the questions, I just don't want something like this to happen again, and I'm curious as how to all this works. (idk why I'm typing like an old man, I just don't wanna be rude.)

JososaJumper

Unremarkable User

although I didn't write it in the main report, he said that the garlic flank steak was worth 52 ref, he didn't just smack it in and say "trade? ok"

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
and do you have any advice on trading and dealing with people trying to use me
Just don't rush into a deal, dead giveaways are someone trying to hurry you up. You always have time to check prices of items, if someone doesn't want to wait, forget the deal, there are always other trades to be had.

Reactions: JososaJumper

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Being the victim of sharking is the fault of the trader (you). You had more than enough time to check the prices, but you did not. Your responsibility to know what you're trading. Better luck next time

JososaJumper

Unremarkable User
i am impressed with how fast you respond to these, even during times like this with the virus, thank you for responding to something small like this.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
so, when someone gets reported here, what usually happens, do you look at the facts and decide whether the reported user got a trade ban or something? and do you have any advice on trading and dealing with people trying to use me, sorry for the questions, I just don't want something like this to happen again, and I'm curious as how to all this works. (idk why I'm typing like an old man, I just don't wanna be rude.)
When someone gets reported we expect the person doing the reporting to provide all of the necessary evidence in the initial post. There's no way for us to know what happened if we can't see everything. I've said it twice before and will say it a third time: use websites such as backpack.tf to get a rough idea of what your items are worth. Never just blindly listen to what the other party says, since they will 99% of the time be solely focused on their best interest, not yours.

although I didn't write it in the main report, he said that the garlic flank steak was worth 52 ref, he didn't just smack it in and say "trade? ok"
If somebody says something is worth 50 ref but you can instantly find out it's not even worth 1 ref, there's no reason to continue the trade. I'm not trying to demean you or imply you did something wrong: you didn't know any better. Use this as a learning opportunity and try not to let this happen again.

Reactions: JososaJumper